Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

^ A car-free Main Street wouldn't be the only option, as can be seen in systems around the world. The reality is that there are a lot of variables with anything north of Gateway in any way that gets to Brampton GO. So, hard to predict one aspect out weighing everything else. Just my perspective which some may disagree/agree with.
If there is only one lane in each direction....any LRT between Wellington and Nelson on Main would have two options : 1) run in very congested conditions sharing the one lane with motor vehicles; or 2) run in a car free environment.

Neither one seems to work.....if I am missing options, let me know.

If there is only one lane in each direction....any LRT between Wellington and Nelson on Main would have two options : 1) run in very congested conditions sharing the one lane with motor vehicles; or 2) run in a car free environment.

Tunneled LRT :oops:

The images from the streetscaping documents show the existing Zum buses so transit for the route is still contemplated. Yes, it would be a change from the original plan on a few categories/topics/aspects in the matrix but the question would be how much of a change. The other option, that I can think of, would be the George St Loop and/or some combination or variation of it. There could be a single direction north/south on Main. The nature of how congested Main St is, at what times, what mitigations measures are possible would all have to be looked at and I'd like to see it.

The images from the streetscaping documents show the existing Zum buses so transit for the route is still contemplated. Yes, it would be a change from the original plan on a few categories/topics/aspects in the matrix but the question would be how much of a change. The other option, that I can think of, would be the George St Loop and/or some combination or variation of it. There could be a single direction north/south on Main. The nature of how congested Main St is, at what times, what mitigations measures are possible would all have to be looked at and I'd like to see it.
Yes....but to my point....the George Street loop is not a revival of the Main route....in fact it was the debated alternative at the meeting that finally rejected the Main route.

So, again, my point today is not that there are not other ways to get there....but the preferred route of on surface, straight up Main street....is going to be much harder to revive now.

Yes....but to my point....the George Street loop is not a revival of the Main route....in fact it was the debated alternative at the meeting that finally rejected the Main route.

So, again, my point today is not that there are not other ways to get there....but the preferred route of on surface, straight up Main street....is going to be much harder to revive now.

The stretch that would include George is a pretty minor adjustment in the overall picture, in my view. Going from Gateway to Wellington via a Main surface alignment is a substantial revival because once you reach Wellington the options are pretty clear as opposed to stopping at Gateway. It all depends on how it's described and how people portray their positions or cling to certain words (and I'm not excluding myself in this).

Hypothetically, if somehow George was included and someone supported that and the original Main plan, is the concern that they are now inconsistent or it somehow discredits what they've argued for in the past? I just don't see how supporting a minor changes hurts the credibility of a position overall. Looking at it another way, along the Finch, Crosstown, Eglinton East LRT routes, there have been minor changes. In thinking about this, if there was a one block change to the Waterloo Region LRT at some point or some other street shift for a small portion and the difference in the data was fairly small (which some may disagree with), would it really matter overall? Maybe to some it would and that's all part of the discussion, as this is for Main. Discussion is good.

I completely understand it's your view that it would be harder to revive, and I'm just suggesting that I think it's too early to say given the complexity of the situation and the magnitude of other factors, namely the 2018 elections and the funding availability for literally anything north of Gateway.

The stretch that would include George is a pretty minor adjustment in the overall picture, in my view. Going from Gateway to Wellington via a Main surface alignment is a substantial revival because once you reach Wellington the options are pretty clear as opposed to stopping at Gateway. It all depends on how it's described and how people portray their positions or cling to certain words (and I'm not excluding myself in this).

Hypothetically, if somehow George was included and someone supported that and the original Main plan, is the concern that they are now inconsistent or it somehow discredits what they've argued for in the past? I just don't see how supporting a minor changes hurts the credibility of a position overall. Looking at it another way, along the Finch, Crosstown, Eglinton East LRT routes, there have been minor changes. In thinking about this, if there was a one block change to the Waterloo Region LRT at some point or some other street shift for a small portion, would it really matter overall? Maybe to some it would and that's all part of the discussion, as this is for Main. Discussion is good.

I completely understand it's your view that it would be harder to revive, and I'm just suggesting that I think it's too early to say given the complexity of the situation and the magnitude of other factors, namely the 2018 elections and the funding availability for literally anything north of Gateway.
I am not arguing about credibility....heck, I am not arguing about anything.

I am simply pointing out that the original straight up Main on the surface plan....the one that was debated and argued about for months....is much harder to revive now.

My personal opinion is that George Street made a lot of sense then and probably does more now.....but the original plan is harder to revive now...that is all.

^ What I would see as a change in any revival effort if the streetscape plan is implemented (no reason to think it wouldn't be) is one aspect taken off the table: existing car parking on Main Street between Wellington and Nelson. That was a concern articulated by some in the previous debate. Now that on street car parking apparently going to be removed, different modeling would have to assess a two-lane right-of-way space (plus the new space for cyclists). In other words, the conversation may not include "we have concerns on where customers for the Main St businesses will park". I'm certainly not an expert when it comes to traffic volume modeling and mitigation. I would very much like to see the data if it ever happens.

^ What I would see as a change in any revival effort if the streetscape plan is implemented (no reason to think it wouldn't be) is one aspect taken off the table: existing car parking on Main Street between Wellington and Nelson. That was a concern articulated by some in the previous debate. Now that on street car parking apparently going to be removed, different modeling would have to assess a two-lane right-of-way space (plus the new space for cyclists). In other words, the conversation may not include "we have concerns on where customers for the Main St businesses will park". I'm certainly not an expert when it comes to traffic volume modeling and mitigation. I would very much like to see the data if it ever happens.
you are confusing me now....the debate over lost parking before was because the lane would be needed for through traffic..........there would be no debate now as the lane is gone......there is going to be one lane NB and one lane SB.......so the options are pretty clear (if the surface route right up Main is to be revived) have it operate in a very confined (likely congested) single mixed lane each way or ban cars.

I don't know which one they would pick.....but, again, either one is just going to make the revival of that route much harder (and yes, I get it, there could be changes to the route....but that is not a revival of the straight up main surface route....it is a changed route....and that, too is fine.) :)

From January 29th to February 12th, the Hurontario LRT project will undertake a public review of the names of stops that will be changed from those listed in the Environmental Project Report. Following please find the link to the Metrolinx Engage site through which the public consultation will take place and some background on the proposed changes. Please feel free to share this link with friends, family, professional acquaintances, transit enthusiast etc and go on line yourself to provide your feedback. While individual comments will not be immediately posted on-line, they will be gathered for a report to the Metrolinx Board and reflected in a report that will be made available to the public.

https://www.metrolinxengage.com/en/engagement-initiatives/station-naming-hurontario-lrt

Background:
As part of the 2014 Environmental Project Report (EPR), names were assigned to each proposed stop along the Hurontario which were subsequently reviewed to receive municipal input and ensure consistency with the Metrolinx Naming Policy.

The Metrolinx Naming Policy takes a regional view, acknowledging that many journeys include multiple lines, modes and providers. Where possible, stops are named after the nearest perpendicular street which intersects, however, naming stops after a cross street creates redundant names with some existing GO Transit, TTC, MiWay, Brampton Transit or Züm stop names. In order to eliminate redundancies, names of neighbourhoods/communities or landmarks can provide appropriate alternatives. The five principles in determining new wayfinding names:

1.Simple - Simple names are easier to remember

2.Logical - Logical names provide a mental link when trip planning, they should be relevant to the area they reside

3.Durable - Names should be relevant as long as the station exists

4.Self-locating - Names should allow users to mentally locate themselves within the region

5.Unique - A unique name is one that cannot be confused with any other

Proposed Name Changes:
The recommended names were identified through consultation with representatives of the Cities of Mississauga and Brampton and the Region of Peel.

EPR Stop Name

Recommended

Explanation of Proposed Change

Gateway

Brampton Gateway

The bus terminal at which the stop is located is called Brampton Gateway. The LRT stop name is being coordinated to this point of transit connection.

Highway 407

407 & Hurontario

Highway 407 extends across GTA. The name change is meant to specify the Hurontario Street intersection with the highway to avoid confusion.

Eglinton

Eglinton & Hurontario

Eglinton is a TTC subway stop. The name change is meant to specify the Hurontario Street intersection with the cross street to avoid confusion.

Rathburn

Mississauga City Centre

This stop connects with the GO Transit / MiWay bus terminal called Mississauga City Centre Transit Terminal. The change from Rathburn to Mississauga City Centre is designed to make it easier to find this transit hub.

Duke of York

Celebration Square

Celebration Square is a popular destination for festivals, movie nights and other events throughout the summer as well as skating during the winter. The name change makes it easier for those travelling to find this prominent venue.

Main

The Exchange

The Main Street District has been officially renamed The Exchange by the City of Mississauga, and is designated to become a future hub for Mississauga’s Downtown with restaurants, cafes, patios and small scale retail with office and residential units above.

Central Parkway

Fairview

Central Parkway is a station on the Mississauga Transitway. As Fairview Road is a street that crosses Hurontario Street just south of Central Parkway, the name change is meant to promote wayfinding without causing confusion.

Dundas

Dundas & Hurontario

Dundas is the name of a TTC subway station. By changing the name to Dundas & Hurontario, more precise wayfinding is achieved and confusion lessened.

Is this new? Edit: No it's not.
171212_cooksville_50m_platform_populated_v2.jpg

i think dundas/hurontario should be called four corners the square there has that name, eglinton and hurontario should be given a name like uptown mississauga or something that also corresponds to the pinnacle uptown development. imo we should avoid naming both cross streets unless its an interchange station.

Highway 407 extends across GTA. The name change is meant to specify the Hurontario Street intersection with the highway to avoid confusion.
Eglinton is a TTC subway stop. The name change is meant to specify the Hurontario Street intersection with the cross street to avoid confusion.
Dundas is the name of a TTC subway station. By changing the name to Dundas & Hurontario, more precise wayfinding is achieved and confusion lessened.

They did it with the Crosstown, and now they want to do it again here. When it comes to wayfinding, Metrolinx acts as if the general public is about as confused as a chicken running around with its head cut off. As if people may accidentally find themselves riding a TTC subway line in the wrong city, unless Metrolinx adds that mouthful of syllables "& Hurontario" to a bunch of the stations. If they really want to go down this rabbit hole, then maybe Metrolinx ought to follow their own advice:

"Highway 407 extends across GTA. The name change is meant to specify the Hurontario Street intersection with the highway to avoid confusion."

If hwy 407 "extends across the GTA", then the new Highway 407 subway station is therefore confusing since it doesn't specify the intersection. Fail.​

"Eglinton is a TTC subway stop. The name change is meant to specify the Hurontario Street intersection with the cross street to avoid confusion."

Eglinton is also the name of a GO station on the Lakeshore East line that is entirely under their jurisdiction. Meanwhile they managed to pass up the opportunity to rename the TTC station to "Eglinton-Yonge" as part of the Crosstown, which kinda undermines their whole objective to "avoid confusion". Fail.​

Last edited:

Back