Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

I could be wrong, but I think Mississauga has increased transit service more than Brampton has in the past year...

I confess that all I know about Mississauga transit I read here and all I read are complaints about service cuts.....if that anecdotal evidence is wrong, I apologize.

Brampton, I know, has been increasing service each year (at a rate faster than population growth, I believe).

Main/Hurontario in Brampton really isn't that busy. I think maybe even Kennedy is busier. So I don't see point of building it further than Downtown Brampton, especially considering would be a very long LRT line even then.

I think the focus in Brampton should be Queen St, which easily has high enough ridership for LRT.

Main is at least as busy (busier I think) than Kennedy up to Bovaird. The intersection of Bovaird and Main is a focus corner for the City (3 corners are developed now with malls and one of those has a planned office building going in)...the last corner developed (NE) the developer (Kerbel) had some extra cost design elements forced on them because of the profile of the intersection to the city.....they see this as being, sorta, the "new four corners".

The only reason Kennedy is busier north of Bovaird than Main is that on Main the west side from Bovaird up to, say, Sandalwood is largely undeveloped. There is some sporadic building but there are a couple of farmer/horse ranch holdouts.......this area will fill in and, unlike Kennedy, will do so in the smart growth/intensification era.......taking a rapid transit line up Main further north could spur the "right" kind of development.....it might also be cheaper to do now than in the future so, depending on cost, it might make sense to do it now......

.....also, if it was only from Queen South to Mississauga it would have the same public perception (and level of support) that a lot of transit proposals have....ie it could be seen as a line designed to get people out of Brampton.....whereas if it reached further into Brampton it could actually be perceived as a line to serve Bramptonians.......this, of course, is only important to the extent you ask Bramptonians to pay for some/all/part of the line.

Then the "PRT" could be made to answer to Peel council only. There's no reason for 905 regions to be so fragmented.

Peel Region Transit would mean the amalgamation of only two existing transit systems, each serving around 500,000 residents. What is so fragmented about that?

I support the idea of Peel Region Transit 100%, but I don't think you can call the current situation an example of fragmentation. Mississauga Transit alone is larger than most transit systems in Canada and US, including some amalgamated metropolitan systems...

I don't really see much that can be gained from combining MT and BT into a "PRT".

I suppose some of the benefits could be to eliminate transfers in shady industrial districts.

I was at a stakeholder meeting on Friday and the guest speaker supports an LRT on this road.

He said if the BRT was put in place of the LRT, ridership and development would not happen. This also apply to his system.

Natalio Diaz will be the keynote speaker. Between 1985 and 2006, Natalio served as the Director of Metropolitan Transportation Services, the regional planning organization of the Minneapolis/St. Paul area. In this role, Natalio played an instrumental role in the development and implementation of the Hiawatha Light Rail Transit (LRT) line connecting downtown Minneapolis to suburban Bloomington. Since opening date in June 2004, the Hiawatha LRT line has exceeded expectations relative to daily ridership, which is already ahead of year 2020 projections. New developments along the corridor also far outpace original projections.

Natalio’s leadership for the Hiawatha Corridor included participating in planning and engineering activities, developing a financial plan for both capital and operating costs, coordinating activities with local communities along the corridor and working with the state legislature and the Federal Transit Administration to help secure state and federal funding. During the symposium, Natalio will discuss the planning history of the Hiawatha Corridor, challenges and opportunities, and potential ‘lessons learned’ that are applicable to the Hurontario/Main Street Corridor.

Some info for Hurontario. I have issues with numbers as I have more riders getting on/off at various stops than the board. It does show the rollercoaster ride taking place along the route with Brampton the weak link.

3057312085_b3282c60de_b.jpg

3057313033_60b46ab324_b.jpg

3057313905_587e52dca9_b.jpg

I was at a stakeholder meeting on Friday and the guest speaker supports an LRT on this road. He said if the BRT was put in place of the LRT, ridership and development would not happen.

Yes, I heard that's exactly what happened when Minneapolis built a BRT line. Oh wait...

He said if the BRT was put in place of the LRT, ridership and development would not happen. This also apply to his system.

This is a funny statement to make, considering that LRT line probably carries less people than the (non-BRT) buses in the Hurontario/Main corridor.

I think, this weekend, I will try and get up around 5 a.m. on Sunday morning to replicate that 30 minute drive from Downtown Brampton to Port Credit GO along Hurontario!

I was at a stakeholder meeting on Friday and the guest speaker supports an LRT on this road.

Some info for Hurontario. I have issues with numbers as I have more riders getting on/off at various stops than the board. It does show the rollercoaster ride taking place along the route with Brampton the weak link.

Thanks for posting that. A bit earlier in this thread I made the statement:

.....also, if it was only from Queen South to Mississauga it would have the same public perception (and level of support) that a lot of transit proposals have....ie it could be seen as a line designed to get people out of Brampton.....whereas if it reached further into Brampton it could actually be perceived as a line to serve Bramptonians.......this, of course, is only important to the extent you ask Bramptonians to pay for some/all/part of the line.

I think those ridership graphs sorta prove that........if you look at the entire route 2 rollercoaster, you can see that "all" those people who get on at the north end of the route get off at the downtown Brampton bus terminal....they are using the route to travel within Brampton...not to get to Mississagua........I think it is fair to say that Bramptonians use BT mostly for intra-city travel and GO for inter-city travel

Nice find. I remember parts of that drive so well - some of the last dark olive green MTO traffic lights in Cooksville, the endless construction on Hurontario, the four lane sections, the funny modern streetlamps in MCC, the old arc bulbs on the MTO 1950s/1960s standards, the farms at Eglinton and Hurontario. And concludes with Dominion Starch. Brilliant.

Back