Toronto Humbertown Redevelopment | ?m | 21s | First Capital | Kirkor Architects

N. Christensen is a prominent RE Broker in the area, with offices located on the second floor of existing plaza bldg.
He has done quite well with the set up as it is.
Of course he has vested interest in keeping the status quo.
Imagine the nightmare of moving your office.. just to make room for contruction?!
:)

I live in this area (see username) and I am involved in the Real Estate industry, so I love bringing the Humbertown subject up with neighbours and friends whenever I can. Without a doubt...the first thing they all say is that they love Humbertown the way it is because its easy to park there, run in and get whatever you need....then they mention that its a horrible idea because of the traffic, density, etc. They all agree Humbertown is far from being the highest and best use and even go so far to say "it would be nice to have a bigger LCBO, more modern Loblaws, Starbucks, nice sit down restaurant, etc. Total NIMBYism in its worst form.

The picket signs should say "leave my dated shopping centre so I can park my Suburban easily"..."make the Kingsway feel like suburban Phoenix"

Chances are half the people in the Humber Valley area will end up living here when they downsize their McMansions and need a city home to supplement the cottage in Muskoka.

Well, I *can* see a quasi-heritage argument for some of what remains (particularly the southern part--and I seem to recall the name Victor Gruen connected with that section, though I may be mistaken; anyway, it retains a lot more 50s-mall integrity, at least in spirit if not in detail, than Don Mills did t/w the end)

Come to think of it, has the Don Mills example been invoked by/for any of the locals? Positively? Negatively? It almost seems like they're too parochially narcissistic to even allow for that kind of scheme...

These selfish NIMBY's do not have a single justifiable argument against this proposal. I can't wait to see this project move forward exactly as proposed.

Not sure if this proposed development makes sense for this area. There are two main arteries that feed into that area. Royal York & The Kingsway. These two roads are one lane only (both ways). Royal York is already a mess during rush hour, especially when you’re stuck behind a bus or a senior driver (and there are a lot of senior drivers in that area). Also, It takes almost a good 10 minutes to turn onto Royal York from the residential side streets during rush hour.

This type of development will only benefit when non-locals come to visit and spend their money at the shops. If someone is not familiar with the area, it will be difficult for them to navigate to this area. Someone might argue that Dundas can be used to access this area but the exit ramps are confusing as well as dangerous & require you to go into residential streets. It is just one big mess in terms of accessibility.

Not sure if this proposed development makes sense for this area. There are two main arteries that feed into that area. Royal York & The Kingsway. These two roads are one lane only (both ways). Royal York is already a mess during rush hour, especially when you’re stuck behind a bus or a senior driver (and there are a lot of senior drivers in that area). Also, It takes almost a good 10 minutes to turn onto Royal York from the residential side streets during rush hour.

This type of development will only benefit when non-locals come to visit and spend their money at the shops. If someone is not familiar with the area, it will be difficult for them to navigate to this area. Someone might argue that Dundas can be used to access this area but the exit ramps are confusing as well as dangerous & require you to go into residential streets. It is just one big mess in terms of accessibility.

A better connection between the shopping centre and Dundas Street West is needed.

What a meeting! Will post pictures and commentary in a bit. New plan is for three (down from five) taller buildings of 9, 10 and 21s set on a 2s, retail-filled podium (Loblaws, Shoppers and the LCBO were named tenants). The 'green ribbon' thing does exist and it looks pretty cool. Residents, as expected, were not pleased but also weren't interested in listening to many of the answers and solutions provided by the consultants.

I think many residents have forgotten what a real "village" or "town" feels like.

That being said, I think the developer(s) should focus on maximizing density with buildings 4 to 5 stories in height. Kingsway, and its connector to Royal York , should have a commercial component for that "real village feel".

They could probably get away with a a 15 storey tower in the north portion of the development, and one further down in the southern portion. Not really a huge fan of the current proposal. I thought that the Diamond Schmitt proposal was more suited for the area.

Nimby

The NIMBY's prevail at last nights meeting.

Over 1000 people turned away from the meeting because they were beyond the 1000 person capacity.

virtually every resident from the area showed up to the meeting to hear the Planner, City traffic and FCR stumble through a presentation that could not address the questions and concerns of the audience.

Since there seems to be a huge planning contingent on this board, I would like you to explain to me how putting a 41 foot podium to the property line fits into a neighbourhood that is surrounded of 2 story detached homes?

Humbertown is surrounded by 3 residential streets. The biggest of them to be Royal York which is single lane each way.

How does that type of planning fit into a community such as this?

Seriously, I am not a planner and as you can tell, I'm what you you guys have been referring to the NIMBY.

While I respect this might be a great design, layout and function, I cannot appreciate that it BLENDS in with the neighbourhood.

Also, please site any other project in the city that this exact road configuration, abutting residential neighbourhood and development size exist in Toronto? They don't exist in FCR's portfolio. All their projects are at a major intersection, abut commercial lands, or 4 lane roadways.

The NIMBY's prevail at last nights meeting.

Over 1000 people turned away from the meeting because they were beyond the 1000 person capacity.

virtually every resident from the area showed up to the meeting to hear the Planner, City traffic and FCR stumble through a presentation that could not address the questions and concerns of the audience.

Since there seems to be a huge planning contingent on this board, I would like you to explain to me how putting a 41 foot podium to the property line fits into a neighbourhood that is surrounded of 2 story detached homes?

Humbertown is surrounded by 3 residential streets. The biggest of them to be Royal York which is single lane each way.

How does that type of planning fit into a community such as this?

Seriously, I am not a planner and as you can tell, I'm what you you guys have been referring to the NIMBY.

While I respect this might be a great design, layout and function, I cannot appreciate that it BLENDS in with the neighbourhood.

Also, please site any other project in the city that this exact road configuration, abutting residential neighbourhood and development size exist in Toronto? They don't exist in FCR's portfolio. All their projects are at a major intersection, abut commercial lands, or 4 lane roadways.

100% agreed. The posters who are for this development are most likely not familiar with the area or don't go through the area much often. This type of development would go great in areas such as Bloor and Islington or Westwood Theatre Lands.

I do think that Humbertown existing strip mall needs some modernization. The Loblaws needs a good upgrade.

Dear Nimby,
I happen to know that area very well, so let me clarify some your remarks.
Yes, shopping centre is semi-surrounded by 2-3 storey residential structures.
It is however, on the north side facing a mid to high-rise apt. buildings, so your claim is not 100% precise.
These 'low residential' properties in their majority are overlooking centre's garbage and 'back of house" facilities, so I really don't see any loss of nice views.
41ft podium equals roughly to top of pitch roof line (in three storey structures) so it is not "overwhelming" much..
Traffic issues?
Quite valid! ..but on the other hand, Royal York underpass allows for additional lanes of traffic or ramp access to Dundas, which I believe will be upgraded if the project will go ahead.

Back