Toronto Humbertown Redevelopment | ?m | 21s | First Capital | Kirkor Architects

Dear Nimby,
I happen to know that area very well, so let me clarify some your remarks.
Yes, shopping centre is semi-surrounded by 2-3 storey residential structures.
It is however, on the north side facing a mid to high-rise apt. buildings, so your claim is not 100% precise.
These 'low residential' properties in their majority are overlooking centre's garbage and 'back of house" facilities, so I really don't see any loss of nice views.
41ft podium equals roughly to top of pitch roof line (in three storey structures) so it is not "overwhelming" much..
Traffic issues?
Quite valid! ..but on the other hand, Royal York underpass allows for additional lanes of traffic or ramp access to Dundas, which I believe will be upgraded if the project will go ahead.

Traffic issues, currently, is bad as it is on Royal York. Imagine a development of this proportion. You will need at least 2 lanes both ways on Royal York from Eglington to Queensway to be able to handle the new traffic. Also, you will need to consider accessibility from non locals. No one from North York is going to bother driving to a middle of a residential neighborhood where there is no easy access from the highway.

Consider Shops at Don Mills. It is located at the Intersection of two major roads in the GTA. It has easy access from the highway. Therefore, it makes good sense.

Now imagine if they had decided to build the Shops at Don Mills at the Intersection of Mt Pleasant Rd & Blythwood Rd instead (heart of Lawrence Park residential area where accessibility is limited). I am sure it would not be as successful as it is currently.

BTW, I am not a NIMBY. I am a Condo Owner and I live a good 5 minutes from Humbertown. However, my Girlfriend lives there and I carpool with her everyday. Believe me when I say this, turning left or right onto Royal York during rush hour is a nightmare, especially when most of the residential streets off Royal York don't have traffic lights.

Well, with all due respect, please lets not get over-excited here.
It is not designed, nor it will EVER be a "destination" shopping centre, like Don Mills was conceived! (Purposely..)
Humbertown is, and will stay as neighbourhood centre.
Increase in cross-town traffic to get specificaly there to shop will be therefore quite minimal.
Major increase in parking capacity will help local visitors great deal however..
:)

Last edited:
Well with all due respect, please lets not get over-excited here.
It is not designed nor it will EVER be a "destination" shopping centre like Don Mills was conceived! Purposely..
Incrase in cross-town traffic to get specificaly to shop there will be therefore quite minimal.
Major increase in parking capacity will help local visitors great deal however..

Maybe I am not good at reading or viewing proposal documentation from developers. But from what I thought I was looking at, it seemed to me as another Shops at Don Mills kind of thing (Commerical & Residential Mixed use with an Open-air mall style). Anyways, accessibility will be a factor for the future Condo owners, employees & current residents.

Maybe the idea that Humbertown is a Mall should be destroyed. Why not bring back a real village atmosphere, more like Forest Hill Village or Mount Pleasant or perhaps Uptown Waterloo?

Yes an expanded grocery store can work, but keep the other shops small scale with 4-6s walkups above the retail. The parking can be hidden below the site, perhaps just 1 or 2 decks covering entire site?

I have looked at LG's work it looks reasonable, if somewhat conservative.

Using the height precedent set by an ugly mistake of a rental tower is not an excuse to continue this massing form. This lazy Toronto idea that "if x works there" it can work everywhere must stop.

No argument that the adjacent rental tower is b*tt ugly!
Massing is however used as an argument in both directions.
If NIMBYS are screaming that nothing around is taller than the proposal, equally pro-development people can use same massing argument.
Yes, there is something tall already there, sorry.
Anyway, I am not defending this particular scheme, it has flaws!
I just don't think arguments attached to NIMBY's rationale are quite valid.
We should request beauty in design, functionality and good planning rather than concentrate on preserving something that has even more flaws!

Last edited:
No argument that the adjacent rental tower is b*tt ugly!
Massing is however used as an argument in both directions.
If NIMBYS are screaming that nothing around is taller than the proposal, equally pro-development people can use same massing argument.
Yes, there is something tall already there, sorry.
Anyway, I am not defending this particular scheme, it has flaws!
I just don't think arguments attached to NIMBY's rationale are quite valid.
We should request beauty in design, functionality and good planning rather than concentrate on preserving something that has even more flaws!

I am all for taller buildings and new developments that are less Suburbish and more Urban as long as it makes sense in terms of traffic, good location/accessibility. I hate it when NIMBY complain or argue the fact that the tall building will block their sun from "1pm to 2pm". That is a stupid argument and should not be taken in consideration.

(Low rise, 4 storeys Max, one 17 storey that is out of character,)

Dear Nimby,
I happen to know that area very well, so let me clarify some your remarks.
Yes, shopping centre is semi-surrounded by 2-3 storey residential structures. (2 storey homes, there arent any 3 storey homes surrounding the plaza)

It is however, on the north side facing a mid to high-rise apt. buildings, so your claim is not 100% precise. (Mostly Low rise, 4 storeys Max, one 17 storey set back 40' that is out of character,) These 'low residential' properties in their majority are overlooking centre's garbage and 'back of house" facilities, so I really don't see any loss of nice views. (no loss of view for apartment dwelling, but significant change of view to the tree/skyscape)

41ft podium equals roughly to top of pitch roof line (in three storey structures) so it is not "overwhelming" much.. (a 41' foor flat surface for the podium does not represent the same thing as a 1.5 and 2 storey home)

Traffic issues?
Quite valid! ..but on the other hand, Royal York underpass allows for additional lanes of traffic or ramp access to Dundas, which I believe will be upgraded if the project will go ahead.
I dont think upgrading the underpass will fix the bottleneck to get downtown or even to the RY subway station

Well, with all due respect, please lets not get over-excited here.
It is not designed, nor it will EVER be a "destination" shopping centre, like Don Mills was conceived! (Purposely..)
Increase in cross-town traffic to get specificaly there to shop will be therefore quite minimal.

Someone compaired it to Cloverdale Mall. Seriously, 427, East mall, Dundas, Offramp from 427, C'mon. Someone from Planning or Traffic If I recall.

Traffic studies from FCR include a very large area. I guess they just do those for fun? Counting trips from downtown etc.

Last edited:
The NIMBY's prevail at last nights meeting.

Over 1000 people turned away from the meeting because they were beyond the 1000 person capacity.

virtually every resident from the area showed up to the meeting to hear the Planner, City traffic and FCR stumble through a presentation that could not address the questions and concerns of the audience.

Since there seems to be a huge planning contingent on this board, I would like you to explain to me how putting a 41 foot podium to the property line fits into a neighbourhood that is surrounded of 2 story detached homes?

Humbertown is surrounded by 3 residential streets. The biggest of them to be Royal York which is single lane each way.

How does that type of planning fit into a community such as this?

Seriously, I am not a planner and as you can tell, I'm what you you guys have been referring to the NIMBY.

While I respect this might be a great design, layout and function, I cannot appreciate that it BLENDS in with the neighbourhood.

Also, please site any other project in the city that this exact road configuration, abutting residential neighbourhood and development size exist in Toronto? They don't exist in FCR's portfolio. All their projects are at a major intersection, abut commercial lands, or 4 lane roadways.

I hope you weren't among the hoards who attacked the Ryerson planning student for speaking up for this project - a sterling moment for the HVVRA to be sure.

Residents at the meeting last night were concerned about the height, density, built form and traffic impact of the proposal. Unfortunatley they were unable to articulate what they themselves want and many simply rambled about their own qualifications before asking a question which revealed they had no idea what they were talking about in the first place. One man claimed that 50,000 liters of water flow every minute under the site (incorrect) while another mistook a green park for a grey parking lot and aggressively questioned the proponent why they had paved over his green space (they hadn't). The almost four-hour meeting was oftentimes sadly Tea Party-esque and revealed much about the vicious nature of us as individuals when something we value is threatened.

Councillor Lindsay-Luby provided residents with a sheet asking them to check a box indicating if they were 'for' or 'against' the proposal by First Capital Realty. Looking over shoulders and seated individuals, I didn't see one sheet with the 'for' box ticked. Comments were generic - "My property value will go down," "Traffic is already terrible, why make it worse?," "Why do the towers have to be so high?" etc. Unfortunately, while Lindsay-Luby's sheet provided space for 'comments,' residents were not asked directly what they thought would be better.

There was also a great deal of misinformation being passed around by the HVVRA in the form of leaflets and a newsletter. Unfortunately, the City had brought along the applicant's original submission (five towers) and residents were basing much of their vitriol on outdated information.

The leaflet for example, claims that: "the 21 storey tower, with the high ceiling heights is actually 75 meters or 246 feet which would make it approximately 50% higher than the existing 17 storey building across from Humbertown." Given that Humber Vista is actually 54 meters, the new building would only be 28% taller and the statement becomes more than disingenuous (lie?).

Another claim (repeated by the resident) was that: "the 'two storey' base is not really two storeys - it is 12.5m, or 41ft - higher than any of your homes." This seems scary until one realizes that the average two storey home peaks at between 8 and 10 meters depending on its size (OBC). 12.5m is actually a perfect height for the first setback and there further setbacks above that.

Next: "FCR will destroy more than 140 trees at Humbertown, many of which are mature trees situated on both its property and the City property...and remove all of the grass and landscaped berms that screen the plaza." The Landscape Architect (I forget which firm) addressed this rather well last night by reminding residents that the proposal will add more than 180,000 square feet of green, permeable surface in the form of green roofs and new paving techniques. In addition, the parking lot will sit atop a oil/grit separator and several stormwater holding-tanks as part of a broader stormwater management and water purification program. He also debunked the claim that any native or mature trees would be destroyed as the plan only calls for the removal of trees planted after the plaza was constructed (1956). None of these trees are classified as 'mature' and many of them are 'foreign' according to the arborist's report.

Next: "When FCR talks about storeys, they are not storey like storeys in your home - they are high ceiling storeys and the buildings are actually higher than you think." What patent fearmongering. Could I therefore say: 'when the HVVRA opens its collective mouth, its not like when a regular lunatic does so - they are actually crazier and less informed then you think.' Actually one of those two statements is factual.

The claim that this will lie on 'three residential streets' is also untrue and and is particularly misleading since it seems to be true. Roads are classified in the City of Toronto and while the HVVRA would like you to believe that RY is a Local Residential Road, the fact is it's an Arterial which has residences along it. What's more, The Kingsway is a Collector and Dundas, slightly to the south, is also an Arterial. These are not small roads and have the capacity to be further upgraded in the future.

And the propaganda goes on and on, with: "the future of our neighbourhood is at stake" being an oft-used phrase in all distributed documents.

I'm critical of much of what is foisted on us today but Urban Strategies, Levitt Goodman and, dare I say it, Tridel have come up with an intelligent plan which balances a variety of uses and typologies to feel pretty damn urbane. One of my (and others I'm sure) biggest problems with the Shops at Don Mills is how the retail and residential components are not integrated but isolated and compartmentalized across the site. Instead of having one or two levels of retail with commercial or residential components above, we are left with a quaint, if a little tacky, outdoor mall surrounded by condos - a 6.5 / 10 at best. What US and LG have done is precisely that - stacked the uses into buildings which define space rather than just occupy it. Richard Rogers likes to say that: "Stairs add an important third dimension to public space" and use of stairs and bridges accessing second-level retail and amenities (a daycare) adds a dynamism sorely lacking at SoDM.

The HVVRA likes to talk a lot about 'good' and 'bad' planning but if you were to give this job to 9/10 planning and / or architectural firms, they would come back with something resembling what is currently proposed, namely, an increase in densities and an attempt to use buildings to define public spaces. The City agrees (Official Plan), the Province agrees (PPS, GP, PTGA) and many planners and politicians agree that intensification on sites like Humbertown is the best way to grow.

100% agreed. The posters who are for this development are most likely not familiar with the area or don't go through the area much often. This type of development would go great in areas such as Bloor and Islington or Westwood Theatre Lands.

I do think that Humbertown existing strip mall needs some modernization. The Loblaws needs a good upgrade.

I am from the area and I wholeheartedly support the current plan. There was a great deal of: "why can't this go there" bs batted around last night but it's really a moot point: FCR doesn't own that land, they own the land at Humbertown and will therefore be building there.

Now, what does it look like?

The original plan:

7980288388_34cace7ab7_b.jpg

The Proposal:

7980295112_db41c1f7f7_b.jpg

Site Plan:

7980289944_00862ac256_b.jpg

Pedestrian Plan:

7980293095_c21f422b9a_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8306/7980291768_a1e3b4a5dd_b.jpg

Looking north-west from The James Club across Royal York:

7980300109_b3dbe80252_b.jpg

Looking south-west from Ashley Road:

7980301983_2890a25af7_b.jpg

The interior of the plaza showing green ribbon, permeable parking lot and second-level retail and amenity space.

7980288070_8433878e2d_b.jpg

Looking north across the parking towards the existing rental building (54m):

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8304/7980298464_c7484ae4ae_b.jpg

The first and second retail levels, looking north-west:

7980296601_d0c888fba0_b.jpg

Wow! Thanks for sharing those pictures. This is a spectacular development. If only First Captial/Tridel work out a deal with the City of Toronto to build this at Westwood lands or Bloor and Islington. FCR can sell Humbertwon and use the money to purchase the other lands discussed above. Wishful thinking :)

This development is great and belongs exactly where it is proposed.

The ONLY argument against it is increased traffic - but countless solutions for that can be explored. If I was a resident I would want grade separated bike lanes on Royal York to access the subway (which shouldn't be too difficult to implement given the existing bike lane), a wider ramp on Dundas, upgrading the Kingsway North of Dundas, etc.

The land value of houses in Humbertown would undoubtedly go up with this development.

No argument that the adjacent rental tower is b*tt ugly!:)

Are you talking about the one on the north side of Ashley? Actually, it's a pretty decent 1960ish "point tower" thing, architecturally *and* urbanistically--and it looks like it's reasonably well kept up, too: no siding or EIFS disfigurement, and a entrance reno that's actually sympathetically sleek-stylish. Why would anyone with half an architectural/urbanistic brain uphold that as a negative example? (Other than, perhaps, an argument that its point-tower solitude would be compromised by other stuff of equal or greater height cluttering everything up in front.)

Though w/all the neighbourhood gripers, I feel motivated to dredge up my earlier statement...

Then again, I'll betcha some of those NIMBYs are the sort who themselves tore down a postwar backsplit for a McMansion, or schlocked it up w/EIFS. IOW Humber Valley Village could use fewer tasteless dolts like that...

So, "the resident": keep that in mind. A lot of those objecting may be no less destructive to the fundamental formative neighbourhood character; and in a tragically naive way, too...

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! Thanks for sharing those pictures. This is a spectacular development.

I don't know. Yeah, it may be schematic; but the detailing here looks more middlebrow-schlocky than I'd desire in a postwar-planned-suburbia node like this--I'd almost rather they go further down the Don Millsian "neo-modern" route; and maybe a la Don Mills, name streets for Eugene Faludi and the like...

7980301983_2890a25af7_b.jpg

Are you talking about the one on the north side of Ashley?
Yes I do.
Actually, it's a pretty decent 1960ish "point tower" thing, architecturally *and* urbanistically--and it looks like it's reasonably well kept up, too: no siding or EIFS disfigurement, and a entrance reno that's actually sympathetically sleek-stylish. Why would anyone with half an architectural/urbanistic brain uphold that as a negative example?
ooooookey!..please imagine for a second, that there are people with a bit more than half of architectural/urbanistic (sic!) brain that consider 60s as the darkest decade in the history of architecture .. at least within last century scale. This buulding is so out of proportion and any sense of aesthetics that calling it b*tt ugly is actually not fair to all hard working b*tt holes of this world.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back