Toronto Hullmark Centre | 167.94m | 45s | Tridel | Kirkor Architects

Not a chance. MTO won't allow new interchanges closer together than every two km, which is the spacing between Yonge and Bayview. You'd never get local residents willing to accept all that traffic infiltration into their neighbourhood anyway on any street that they chose to connect to, Willowdale Avenue being the obvious choice. Anyway, like I said, it'll never happen. Fuggedaboutit.

is there 2km difference between the york exit and the spadina exit on the gardner? Also at least half of those willowdale houses between sheppard and the 401 are waiting to be sold off to developers for condos. The zoning needs to change but they want to make a killing off their land value. A exit could help their zoning argument and spread the density out.

New interchanges are not allowed closer than 2 km. Standards have changed over the years as the province has learned about the dangers of weaving - cars cutting in and out of lanes to enter or exit the highway - so while there are some more closely spaced interchanges from earlier years, and shorter merge lanes than would be built today (the Jameson on ramp to the Gardiner westbound would be the most obvious example of a short merge lane), new standards preclude such dangerous design now.

Consider that to fit another interchange between Yonge and Bayview that you would also have to demolish buildings on the south side of the 401, and you would also have to fit bridges over other on ramps/off ramps to avoid the weaving. The expense would be incredible. Also consider that both City and Provincial policy in the GTA is not to promote more driving by increasing the capacity of the road network, other than try to find fixes for major bottlenecks such as at 401/400. Most of the capital transportation expenditures here over the foreseeable future are going to be made in public transit and in maintaining the existing road network in working order.

You're not going to see another interchange between Yonge and Bayview. It's just not going to happen.

That structure on the North-West corner will be a new McDonalds. They are relocating there from a few doors away. The new one will include all the fancy McCafe stuff - couches, TVs, Triple-Foamy-Frappa-Latte-Mochaccinos...

wow... I also find it amazing that they're (McDonalds) getting a new building at that corner... I was hoping that they'd relocate into the Sheppard Centre

Last edited:
Not a chance. MTO won't allow new interchanges closer together than every two km, which is the spacing between Yonge and Bayview. You'd never get local residents willing to accept all that traffic infiltration into their neighbourhood anyway on any street that they chose to connect to, Willowdale Avenue being the obvious choice. Anyway, like I said, it'll never happen. Fuggedaboutit.

Before amalgamation,.... the former city of North York proposed an interchange at 401 and Willowdale Avenue. Needless to say that got shot down and never happend.

Even though the city tends to promote public transit use more. The city would like vehicular traffic on it's existing roads to be much more efficient. When it comes to highway interchanges, quite often, the city might come up with a good proposal,... but the province (MTO) would shot it down as they don't really want any more traffic onto the 401. To the MTO, if the interchanges become more efficient, then the more traffic that ends up on the 401,.... the more congestion on the 401 and the higher the chances of accidents,... the MTO only cares about the efficiency of how the 401 operates.

Nov 25
More photos up on the site
6412798455_45e1c6855e_b.jpg

6412791463_6bd732f3e7_b.jpg

6412769125_c0ca5b2441_b.jpg

6412758825_f40a9d46c2_b.jpg

6412748959_892c764dda_b.jpg

6413335833_361e165ce8_b.jpg

Dec 3 2011 Update:

As the year ends, Hullmark continues it's climb out of the pit. I can't wait for the first few floors that will go above grade. This is when we'll really start to see Yonge and Sheppard change. All that is left is the huge parking lot on the South-West, which is owned by Oxford Properties and according to my friend has nothing planned for it yet.

Is this the ground floor?
DSC_0688.JPG

More work on a Saturday.
DSC_0691.JPG

It looks like they're only 10 steps away.
DSC_0687.JPG

Here's the old stair case back in May
DSC_0504.JPG

Construction update on Lindsay's blog

"Over 16,000 m³ (more than 565,000 cubic feet!) of concrete has been poured so far at this three acre site. The centre will sit above the Yonge and Sheppard subway station, with direct indoor access. This has provided some challenges for the project. The south tunnel connection’s structural form work is now underway. For the north tunnel, shoring and excavation will be starting shortly."

Read more with Lindsay's interview with Hullmark's project manager on her blog.

Could the 401 add a off / on ramp between yonge and bayview??????? I dont even get off at this exit but everytime I drive by I see how insane it is. The dozen or so Condos that are going up are only going to make that congestion worse. Im not pro car but I cant see how this area can ever become a real business HUB without better access..

I don't know how much better access you can get, right on the intersection of two subway lines and right beside the 401? Are you talking about the actual ways to drive in and our of the centre (residential and office parking)?

Great Photos

Really great perspectives and views you got there! Can't wait to see more of these. The construction is insanely fast. The last time I was at Yonge/Sheppard it was still a massive hole in the ground, guess it didn't go down that deep...

Sorry I'm new to this thread, but anyone have any idea what major tenants the retail/ office is going to have?

a close up from a different position

This opening into the site at the south west corner, adjacent to the current subway entrance, may be part of the new subway entrance, or an underground garage entarance.

There are beams across the top of the excavation that appear to be supports for an eventual roof.

Attachments

• IMG-20111220-00003 (1).jpg
    IMG-20111220-00003 (1).jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 253

Back