Toronto Hullmark Centre | 167.94m | 45s | Tridel | Kirkor Architects

About Kirkor Architects and Planners

Kirkor Architects and Planners is a multi-faceted architectural design and planning firm specializing in urban intensification and the creation of responsible, sustainable, economically viable, and architecturally relevant urban developments.

With 20 years experience and over 2,000 built projects, Kirkor offers fully coordinated architectural services ranging from large scale urban mixed-used commercial and high-rise residential projects to shopping centres, retail plazas, building conversions, industrial buildings, multi-storey town homes and single family residences. Kirkor Architects and Planners has an award-winning reputation for design excellence and client service.

What started off as a perfectly good article about curbing suburban sprawl, suddenly became a advertising mouthpiece for Kirkor. Also, what does architecturally 'relevant' mean? If Kirkor were to actually create something 'relevant,' I'd be interested to see what it would actually look like. Some odd mix of battleship grey spandrel panels with green glass and a precast frieze? Sounds sexily 'relevant!'

from today's Daily Commercial News....

RESIDENTIAL, COMMERCIAL DEVELOPMENT Proj: 9051669-11

North York, Metro Toronto Reg ON NEGOTIATED/PLANS COMPLETE

Hullmark Centre, 5 Sheppard Ave E, Yonge St, 2 Anndale St, M2N
$106,000,000 est

Start: January, 2010 Complete: February, 2011

Note: Working drawings are complete. Sales and marketing are underway. Invited Sub trade tender schedules are expected Winter, 2009. Construction schedules will be finalized early 2010 based on sales. Further update December, 2009.

Lea Consulting Ltd is the Traffic Consultant for the project.
Contact information for the Civil Engineer has been corrected.
Project: concrete foundation, cast-in-place concrete structural frame, structural steel frame, fuel fired heating system, eight elevators; proposed construction of a 44 storey tower and a 35 storey tower. The project will consist of 700,000 square feet of residential space with 685 units. The South tower will house 247,000 sq ft of commercial office space on the first ten floors. The buildings will be connected at grade by an amenity building, that will include a 50,000 sq ft grocery store and the 18,000 sq ft Hullmark Club; which will feature a video lounge, billiards room, theatre and private dining room. The building will also feature a fitness centre, with a whirlpool, steam room and saunas, and outdoor terrace with a fireplace lounge, dining area, sun deck, swimming pool, hot tub and private cabanas. The project will have five levels of underground parking for approximately 1,000 spaces.

Scope: 975,000 square feet; 44 storeys; 5 storeys below grade; 2 structures; 685 units; parking for 1000 cars

Development: New
Category: Apartment bldgs; Retail, wholesale services

I would take the Daily Commercial News with a grain of salt.....they are riddled with errors lately....

Nevertheless, a pretty good general indication of what is happening development-wise...

Forty four storeys sounds good. Would that make them the tallest buildings in North York? Would they stand much taller then the rest? All the towers there seem to be about the same height and it looks quite dull. North York needs a few taller buildings to poke their heads out and create a bit of drama. That is one dull skyline right now. I think North York needs a Marlyn of it's own.

Forty four storeys sounds good. Would that make them the tallest buildings in North York? Would they stand much taller then the rest? All the towers there seem to be about the same height and it looks quite dull. North York needs a few taller buildings to poke their heads out and create a bit of drama. That is one dull skyline right now. I think North York needs a Marlyn of it's own.

there is/was a limit of 25s for NY buildings ...
now that this limit has been exceeded, i wonder how much of a precedent it will set.

there is/was a limit of 25s for NY buildings ...
now that this limit has been exceeded, i wonder how much of a precedent it will set.

There was never a 25 storey limit...and even if there was, 25 office storeys are higher than 25 residential storeys, so it wouldn't be expressed in storeys. There are height limits in the secondary plan but these are frequently breached (and are breached by some towers that are over 20 years old, which shows how 'strict' this height limit is).

44 storeys isn't terribly higher than existing buildings in the area, especially since some have decent-sized roof elements/towers/bells/etc. that add some feigned/illusory height. It'll be noticeable on the skyline but not as dramatic as one might think, especially if Emerald Park is built, too.

As for the height of future towers, it'll have to do with [the lack of] availability of easily redevelopable land left in North York Centre moreso than the precedent of one 44 storey tower. There really isn't a heck of a lot of land left, and there's even less land left for short multi-tower complexes, so future towers may routinely be 40-ish (or more) storeys rather than the 20-30-ish storeys they currently are to more intensely utilize remaining sites.

If I recall correctly ... I think there is a 100 metre maximum height cap in NYCC along the Yonge Street corridor (but course there were some sites rezoned to exceed this limit)

It's a stupid limit. If anywhere there should be tall buildings, it should be at the intersection of two subway lines, GO bus dropoff points, and North America's busiest highway. I hope Hullmark sets a precedent in this case.

It's a stupid limit. If anywhere there should be tall buildings, it should be at the intersection of two subway lines, GO bus dropoff points, and North America's busiest highway. I hope Hullmark sets a precedent in this case.

don't forget that these limits were set decades ago when Toronto was not as populated and the Sheppard East subway line did not exist.

Uh, there's already many buildings above the height limit in North York, both completed and proposed. Hullmark does not set a precedent for breaking the height limit (which is 100m in places and less than 100m in other places, as per the secondary plan which became official after the Sheppard line opened).

Forty four storeys sounds good. Would that make them the tallest buildings in North York? Would they stand much taller then the rest?
The taller one should stand out nicely at about 540 ft. I believe the Nestle building is the current tallest in North York City Centre at 387 ft. The second Hullmark tower will be 440 ft.

Back