Toronto Harris Square | 50.29m | 13s | Urban Capital | Saucier + Perrotte

Lovely painting indeed. Or perhaps the project could sample from some of his later, arctic works, which feature bolder colours.
Sure. I just picked a Toronto painting for the local connection without having gone through Harris' complete catalogue, but one of the more famous Arctic, Rocky Mountain, or North of Superior paintings might be the way to go too. Hey @Tulse, any neighbourhood residents association to take up a cause?!

I like this idea, and the timing is good given all the energy and civic engagement in the neighbourhood around saving the foundry buildings.

P1220488.jpg

P1220487.jpg

P1220489.jpg

P1220490.jpg

P1220492.jpg

ive never seen a project take so long to install balcony glass on 14 levels before. I'd guess it's due to delays in building material deliveries, but there are uninstalled tinted glass guard panels scattered all over the building.

b36d5507-edd6-42db-a2d4-53950a6339a4-jpeg.298590

Source: ADRM

Because we go gray weather-wise for many months a year, we should pay more attention to providing colour in public spaces. In @ADRM's photo above, I'm left wondering why Lawren Harris Square couldn't have street furniture colours keyed to the colours he employed in his paintings, given its immediate dull-coloured surroundings, and the fact that Harris was one of Canada's greatest visual artists?

There's this Harris painting in the AGO's collection, 'Houses, Richmond Street', for example, from which the reddy or orangey browns from the door frames and lintels, or the blues and greens from the shutters, could be painted on the benches or applied as wraps around the planters. The yellow at the base of the Harris Square building (most of which is till to be revealed) could already represent the colours of the leaves in this painting.

default.jpg

Source

Or, why is there no public art piece in that square, again, given whom it's named after? Have an invitational competition among half a dozen artists to create something for the square that could relate to Harris work in some recognizable way. Some future Section 37 money (or equivalent funding) from something in the area should really go towards making something to liven up that space.

Yes on the colour; and this park also makes it on to my problematic park design list for other reasons.

It's just unfortunate. It will have to be fixed.

ive never seen a project take so long to install balcony glass on 14 levels before. I'd guess it's due to delays in building material deliveries, but there are uninstalled tinted glass guard panels scattered all over the building.
They are also amazingly slow in installing the soffit above the entrance area

I suspect it's because the bottom bit has a lot of unconventional angles where they're aligning everything up precisely. And I don't think they're sparing any corner cuttings here...like a lot of projects do.

Everything is slow. Balcony glass install seems to have stopped, many halls are still patched / unpainted, deficiency repairs are sporadic, rarely any workers on site. I’m not sure if it’s because materials and labour are short or this project isn’t a priority anymore.

project definitely is not a priority anymore. they usually only have two guys working on that soffit at a time. that, on top of the fact that everytime there is a custom panel required (ie. around a column intersection), they have to site measure, send to manufacturer, custom make, and wait for delivery. it's intensely time-consuming.

but typical exterior work above level 9 and up, has basically stopped months ago. it's embarrassing on Urban Capital's part...

Not River City's best, but a nice addition to the overall development. Hope they can speed up construction.

Then I want to apologize for my assumption it was slowing up due the technical detailing...but respected regulars from this area are suggesting otherwise. So now my position is now changing to one of finding this rather disconcerting instead, especially for what has been a stellar project up until this point. /sigh

Back