Hamilton Hamilton Line B LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

That vote annoyingly failed, but Hamilton Chamber is still working on getting it added later. Possibly a future Bay infill.

Not for LRVs, but for drivers to more easily access the maintenance facility. It can also act as an alternate route or detour from west-of-403 to east-of-403, bypassing the Main/King bridge (taking thr Longwood bridge instead to get into City of Hamilton). Which is useful during construction, too.

And Frid St is a potential business improvement area, for business densification (e.g. Office towers invading a business park, once Dundurn LRT station built).

Are you able to post the track plan for that stretch? I'd be interested in seeing it.

Hopefully. But who is gonna pay for it later?
Possibly developers. Reportedly, it is only 2.5 million dollars to add that station (if added back quick).

Costs do go up the longer we wait. Huge parking lots fill three corners of that Bay location. Easy protect-for opportunity by setting back future buildings that sprout from the parking lot on the south edge. Many parties are now scrambling to make sure of that, to keep Bay "permanently possible anytime in future". I privately talked to a few...

Last edited:
Are you able to post the track plan for that stretch? I'd be interested in seeing it.
Here you go. from LRT Presentation of Open House second series.

upload_2017-4-28_13-2-31.png

And zoomed version of the tracks:

upload_2017-4-28_13-3-37.png

Here's what satellite view looks like today:

upload_2017-4-28_13-43-54.png

So the MSF is being built in old industry brownfields.
And you can see the two unconnected ends of Frid Street, too.

Attachments

• upload_2017-4-28_13-2-31.png
    upload_2017-4-28_13-2-31.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,343
  • upload_2017-4-28_13-3-37.png
    upload_2017-4-28_13-3-37.png
    555.1 KB · Views: 1,410
  • upload_2017-4-28_13-43-54.png
    upload_2017-4-28_13-43-54.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,279
Last edited:
On the topic of Frid St, I've tweeted in the past that Dundurn could be a potential Mobility Hub.

Existing GO trains already coast behind Dundurn Mall, under the planned LRT bridge. What if a connection could be made? Dundurn Mobility Hub!

Frid St directly connects to this, so this is a potential densification opportunity in the coming decades. In theory, this would also be a very fast connection between McMaster University and Toronto too as well, a potential major business development node, multistorey retail, multistorey residential, etc.

80 to 100 acres of old officepark (1-2 storey) and brownfield within 800 meters walk of this hub. Imagine if that densifies. Longwood LRT station and Dundurn Mobility Hub would book-end both ends of a theoretical "Frid Street Business Improvement Area" (excludes the Dundurn Mall, which could become pedestrianized with multistorey buildings & underground parking garage (for both mall & limited premium paid GO parking, given proximity of 403).

Cathedral Park will be untouched -- it is a flood plain used as a baseball diamond. A GO platform would just be simply built behind Dundurn Mall (a redeveloped version of) capable of opening to 8 coach EMU trains (or diesel 12 coach platform if abutting underneath King bridge)

It would be a long progression, freight corridor permitting. Say, 20 or 30 years from now.

C-hDGLRXUAE-kDX.jpg:large

Last edited:
I'm missing one important detail here. Will the rails be two-way on, presumably, Main Street or will they be separated accordingly?

On the topic of Frid St, I've tweeted in the past that Dundurn could be a potential Mobility Hub.

Existing GO trains already coast behind Dundurn Mall, under the planned LRT bridge. What if a connection could be made? Dundurn Mobility Hub!

A GO platform would just be simply built behind Dundurn Mall (a redeveloped version of) capable of opening to 8 coach EMU trains (or diesel 12 coach platform if abutting underneath King bridge)
A 12 car trainset is 12 x 26m (312m) so the platform would have to bend a bit to be that long. Given the map is only a 2D view and I haven't been on a Hunter St GO service, is there any difficulty with stopping trains in either direction because of a nearby grade (probably more to the north than the south, surely the junction track is reasonably flat)

A 12 car trainset is 12 x 26m (312m) so the platform would have to bend a bit to be that long. Given the map is only a 2D view and I haven't been on a Hunter St GO service, is there any difficulty with stopping trains in either direction because of a nearby grade (probably more to the north than the south, surely the junction track is reasonably flat)
A few curved GO platforms exists, this curves less. Even Union Platform 27 seems to curve more. So it should be OK.

From my recollection, the grade here seemed flat, but I will need to pay attention on my next trip.

A few curved GO platforms exists, this curves less. Even Union Platform 27 seems to curve more. So it should be OK.

From my recollection, the grade here seemed flat, but I will need to pay attention on my next trip.
If you want to see a curve platform that can't see any end at all, go to Newmarket and see it first hand. You will find similar platforms in Europe, as will USA.

Back