Hamilton Hamilton Line B LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

looking at the design plates, the grade seperation at the CP crossing will be interesting. Looks like a pretty unique piece of infrastructure being placed mid road like that while the regular lanes remain at grade.

U2Qv6ZX.png

I wonder what the extra cost saved here is. I know it's a little used spur but how much extra variable cost is there in including the road lanes?

I would imagine that the road lanes remain at grade to continue to provide servicing to adjacent properties. Mind you they are taking out every property to the north of the road regardless, so..

U2Qv6ZX.png

I wonder what the extra cost saved here is.

Looks significant versus grade separating the driving lanes too. The driving lanes wouldn't been too much by themselves, but there are 6 side streets that would also require a non-trivial grade change and result in blind corners if sidewalks remain at grade. If sidewalks aren't at grade, the buildings may require significant modification to entryways.

Last edited:
Looks significant versus grade separating the driving lanes too. The driving lanes wouldn't been too much by themselves, but there are 6 side streets that would also require a non-trivial grade change and result in blind corners if sidewalks remain at grade. If sidewalks aren't at grade, the buildings may require significant modification to entryways.

It appears the grade separation starts at Gage Avenue and Extends to Glendale, that's a distant of 300+m if they aren't fully grade separating the roadway at the very least there should be a pedestrian crossing associated with the grade separation or that will really cut off the north and south sides of King St. E.

It appears the grade separation starts at Gage Avenue and Extends to Glendale, that's a distant of 300+m if they aren't fully grade separating the roadway at the very least there should be a pedestrian crossing associated with the grade separation or that will really cut off the north and south sides of King St. E.
I think that will be added next to the tracks. This was a suggestion passed to them -- and it was actually marked down as an idea somewhere to add a ped crossing over the trench next to the CP bridge tracks.

I think that will be added next to the tracks. This was a suggestion passed to them -- and it was actually marked down as an idea somewhere to add a ped crossing over the trench next to the CP bridge tracks.

Why on the is East Bend and Dunsmure both 2 ways on the southwest side of King St? How would someone even turn right from King onto Dunsmure? They should either combine these 2 streets or make each one-way (and have some more grass).

Looking at daily ridership, Hamilton's LRT would be right on par with typical LRT lines throughout cities in the USA. Many of which are larger in population than Hamilton.

Still on a pretty low-end for the capacity-potential of LRT technology, however.

Back