Hamilton Hamilton Line B LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

But... Scarborough was about whether to build using subway tech or LRT.
That's only what some anti-transit folk try to sell. Everyone knows they are never going to build a subway along Sheppard to Markham Road, let alone Meadowvale.

The bottom line is that those that oppose the Sheppard LRT are either completely anti-transit, or are willing to sacrifice any transit improvement in northern Scarborough on the remote possibility that the subway be extended to Victoria Park, or maybe even Warden.

The argument is different, but basically it's the same anti-transit NIMBYs. They'll look for a different wedge that would be more effective in Hamilton.

Great day for the GTAH but an insulting day for the rest of the province.

Hamilton got pretty much the same deal that Ottawa and Mississauga/Brampton did.

Hamilton: $1 billion LRT for 520,000 people = $1,923 per person
Ottawa: $1.6 billion ($0.6 billion for Phase I + $1 billion for Phase II) for 885,000 = $1,807 per person
Mississauga/Brampton: $1.6 billion for 1,300,000 people = $1,230 per person (this of course excludes the Provincial contribution to the Mississauga Transitway)

If anyone should be pissed though, it's Waterloo Region: $300 million contribution for 507,000 = $591 per person

Hopefully this will mean the Province will step up and fund a greater share of the Phase 2 Ion LRT work. Overall though, it's pretty comparable to other recent transit funding announcements.

They were strongly in support of it, and many of the activists who spearheaded the pro-LRT movement have NDP ties, or at the very least, sympathies.

Great news, thanks!

If anyone should be pissed though, it's Waterloo Region: $300 million contribution for 507,000 = $591 per person
Ah, but look at it this way. Ion excludes Cambridge. So really only $300 million for 320,000. Almost $1,000 per person. And how much is province spending on the infrastructure to expand GO to Kitchener.

Perhaps it's Cambridge, Peterborough, and London that should be pissed.

To have LRT projects under way in Ottawa, Toronto, Mississauga/Brampton, Kitchener-Waterloo, and now Hamilton is a really bright day for urban Ontario.

My reservation is not with the specifics of any of them. It's the feeling that Wynne is repeating the Rae legacy - big beginnings, then a retrenchment when the cumulative financial realities set in. I remember the cancellation of the first Guelph GO service. And I remember how long the completed grading for the Pickering-Whitby extension of the Lakeshore GO sat, bereft of tracks, because there was no longer money to finish it. Let's hope another Social Contract and "Wynne Days" aren't right around the corner.

We've also learned that this government is pretty good at rewriting history when it comes to commitments and timetables and long-range plans. We need to keep copies of all these announcements and press releases, and keep an eye on the early-on milestones. Otherwise things will slip at the starting gate, and the downstream construction/completion dates will get recast, and no one will be held to the initial "promise".

- Paul

Ah, but look at it this way. Ion excludes Cambridge. So really only $300 million for 320,000. Almost $1,000 per person. And how much is province spending on the infrastructure to expand GO to Kitchener.

Perhaps it's Cambridge, Peterborough, and London that should be pissed.

That's a good point. Indeed, Cambridge was pissed that Waterloo Region excluded them from Phase I of the Ion LRT. I think that GO improvements should be excluded from the calculation, because those are being applied pretty evenly across the board (with the exception of the Milton and Richmond Hill lines).

But yes, London is largely getting ignored, as is Peterborough, as is Kingston.

I'm sorry.. I understand wanting a subway instead of LRT in Scarborough, but I don't understand wanting a BRT instead of LRT in Hamilton. Especially if the province is paying 100%.. Why? A BRT is the same thing as LRT except the vehicles have tires and are not as long.. it still takes a lane of the road. It seems like a downgrade in almost every way.
You tell me.

But I think I understand.

There's a lot of car lovers in Hamilton that love the urban expressway (Main-King artery) to continue. They are 5-lane-wide 1-way streets (about one-to-two blocks laterally apart) so the stoplights are perfectly synchronized to them. There are almost two dozen beautifully synchronized stoplights that allow us to speed from Gage Park through 403 onramp in a mere six or so minutes (that's more than half the width of the Hamilton metro area!) all green lights without a single red light, provided you keep a consistent 50-60kph speed. It is a beautiful feat of traffic engineering without expropriating to build a freeway. It is known, amongst traffic engineers, of the best synchronized traffic light arteries in North America -- tantamount to ramming a non-grade-separated semi-freeway through an urban area.

I am a car driver, and in a way I love the urban expressway making it possible for me to drive to Aldershot GO station in just 12-15 minutes flat from Gage Park, but I would trade it all for a gentrified Main/King/Barton + LRT + three Hamilton GO stations + allday GO service.

BUT

It severely degrades the quality of storefronts along most of the route, and even after 6pm when parking is allowed, people do not dare use streetside parking lest that cars behind them ram into them at 60kph+. They don't stop for storefronts. There are shuttered storefronts. People are too focussed on driving through the synchronized stoplights to make sure they catch the next set without slowing down. They don't look at the streetscape.

Once upon a time, James Street was a 1-way street. Our lovely James Street, that's now revitalizing. That was before James Street Supercrawl started. Now they turned it into 2-way sometime ago. People started pulling over to park to go shopping. The area started to revitalize. Car owners screamed and waved fists at the traffic de-engineering sacrilege, but pedestrian whoop-assed and enjoyed James Street. Now it sustains over 100,000 people per year at the SuperCrawl. There is no longer a shuttered store on James Street (except for that structurally unsound building; one that's now getting development proposals). People are no longer focussed on staying synchronzed with stoplights

Today, the Red Hill Valley Expressway exists, and now we have a good east-west freeway. Our fully grade separated freeway was built only in year 2007. Now people have a way to zoom crosstown through Hamilton, Hamilton's first ever cross-town east-west freeway was only built in 2007. This has actually reduced the number of cars on Main-King compared to pre-2007. So now we can afford to install an LRT.

For the first time in history, we can finally de-synchronize the super-dangerous urban expressway. There can finally do a mixed gentrification (one that doesn't leave anyone out) of Main and King street.

The LRT gets built in King Street, and the Main Street becomes a 2-way 5-lane street with streetside parking (could be 2 lanes per direction, one full time streetside parking, and one offpeak streetside parking -- the traffic engineers will have to figure it out).

Gradually, a street that ceases to be an urban expressway, becomes a much calmer street that attracts businesses:
- underused parking lots becomes developed
- strip malls revitalize from soviet-60s-style to a more attractive modern style or replaced with bigger developments.
- dirty low-value residential houses become fancy patio restaurants (zoning on Main Street can allow that, since Main is a business treet)
- run-down fast food restaurant with crumbling parking lots, replaced with nicer versions of itself, or mixed retail and underground parking.
- actual lovely independent coffee cafes open (and maybe a well-behaved Starbucks or two)
- artist studios flourish (i.e. moving away from overvalued James Street, relocating to Main)
- more area jobs, tough people actually wanting to enjoy the area and work, rather than being trouble makers or stuck on welfare, etc.
- community centres flourish better

It would take twenty years, but this is also why we're getting an LRT as a catalyst for continued Lower City revitalization. Hamilton is far by, the poorest Ontario city to receive LRT funding, but it is also the city of the biggest potential lift (tide rise is much huger than for Kitchener, Ottawa, or Toronto LRT routes).

At the same time, I worry about the Hamilton poor, but the good news is -- the city is big enough to support everyone and we need to do it gradually in a mixed way. Barton Street has plenty of cheap-rent storefronts, and it will provide new locations for people gradually out-priced off James/Main/King over the next 10-20 years, and if you want to go even cheaper, there's more places further north into the industrial areas. There's plenty of room for both high/low income, even if the average salary of Lower City is slowly rising as the old boomtown-era Hamilton retirees make way to new Torontoians taking over their places. And with more jobs available in the Lower City thanks to business growth, will also slowly reduce the number of welfare recipients to an extent (like how businesses are succeeding more on James Street and even Ottawa Street nowadays, and hiring more people than they used to).

It may not be as big a revitalization as Boston's Big Dig -- but we're finally about to erase an obsolete crosstown urban expressway when we're receiving this LRT! This is really huge, if the we can fight the resistance. We are about to see the possible erasure of a 9-lane/10-lane urban expressway in one of Ontario's most massive traffic-calming engineering feats, with huge resistance from Hamilton car owners. Think of demolishing Toronto's Gardiner!

Before:
- 9-lane to 10-lane urban expressway (total, in a pairs of one-way arteries)
- Perfectly synchronized 60kph traffic lights
- Cars never stop
- Some storefronts are shuttered
- Dangerous; there are deaths
- No peak streetside parking

After:
- Two-way street operation on Main (two lanes in each direction)
- Much more pedestrian friendly. Safer to cross street
- Permanent streetside parking (on at least one side of street)
- LRT on King Street
- LRT synchronized to traffic lights
- Cars slowed down will see businesses, and pull over more often, like they do on James Street.

It won't be an instantaneous revitalization. It probably will take 10 or 20 years but eventually, Main Street could become one very long mixed revitalized street similiar to Louisville Kentucky's "Bardstown" street.

Here's a good example. The whole Lower City is so deprived in some ways, that we don't even have a Starbucks within a 10 kilometer span! Try to find a Starbucks on Google Maps in Lower City east of Locke Street! But now we have the brand new 541 Cafe (Barton) and the brand new Tim Horton's museum, plus a new cafe is opening three blocks from us. Two years ago, there was ZERO coffee cafes within walking distance of where we now live (except the pre-renovated Tim Hortons)...

We no longer need Main/King to be urban expressways anymore. It's time to turn Main/King into 2-way streets. The brand new Hamilton freeway (Red Hill Vally Expressway) is going to be expanded in coming years (plenty of room for new lanes). So it's time to tone down the urban expressways called Main Street and King Street, and de-synchronize the stoplights. It's a danger to kids living 20 meters away in streetside houses.

The Main-King already has a BRT. It's called "B-Line Express". Because the traffic lights are so perfectly synchronized, it's a bona-fide BRT without needing dedicated bus lanes. This is why some Hamiltonians believe more in BRT, since it also helps keep the traffic lights synchronized for both cars and buses (at least when zooming by empty stops -- the buses simply breeze past, BRT-style).

But now you understand why some here prefer BRT over LRT: our synchronized-car-priority-lights (which buses easily follow) urban expressway will become desynchronized -- and synchronized to the LRTs instead. And the 2-way street conversion. Crosstown lower city driving will become much slower via Main-King (possibly 2x slower for some), but there are also speedy crosstown options such as taking Burlington St E.

In addition, I haven't even dived into the fact that we're leaving the Mountain (like 905) out when building Hamilton's first LRT strictly in Lower City (like 416), which makes Mountain feel like they're getting nothing when they currently have poor bus service. Some in the Mountain would like to sabotage the LRT by demanding bus expansion instead.

TL;DR: Understanding why some Hamiltonians prefer buses over LRT, requires understanding several things:
(1) our perfectly synchronized-lights urban expressway called Main Street & King Street; and
(2) the Mountain-versus-LowerCity rivalry, akin to 905-versus-416 rivalry. Mountain with poor bus service, LowerCity now gets LRT.
(3) the false perception that Hamilton is too poor to get LRT, and more buses are all we can afford

Last edited:
But yes, London is largely getting ignored, as is Peterborough, as is Kingston.
All of these municipalities have smaller populations than all the now-announced LRTs.
Even Hamilton, the smallest geographical area in Ontario to receive an LRT, has more population than all of those.

All of these municipalities have smaller populations than all the now-announced LRTs.
Even Hamilton, the smallest geographical area in Ontario to receive an LRT, has more population than all of those.

I'm not saying they should get LRTs, but even some funding for express buses or something would be a good gesture.

Didn't London just announce their plans for an LRT network?
Did they? Hadn't heard that. Hmm, not finding much other than some bus lanes.

If you exclude Cambridge, you're right.
Cambridge has always been somewhat separated from KW. In downtown (well uptown) Waterloo you start walking down the street, and going into Kitchener is seamless - you might not even notice when it has happened. This isn't true for Cambridge

But, they do want to extend the LRT through to Cambridge eventually -- they're protecting for that.
I have to think this is mostly just to keep Cambridge happy. The ridership numbers don't come anywhere near justifying it.

One thing I don't like is I hear there is possible talk of putting separate LRT rails separately on Main versus King, and keeping them 1-way streets. But that will not revitalize the area nearly as well as turning King into a 2-way street, for the reasons outlined above.

So I am really rooting for the plan of putting both LRT tracks on one of the routes, and turning the other artery into a 2-way street.

One thing I don't like is I hear there is possible talk of putting separate LRT rails separately on Main versus King, and keeping them 1-way streets. But that will not revitalize the area nearly as well as turning King into a 2-way street, for the reasons outlined above.

So I am really rooting for the plan of putting both LRT tracks on one of the routes, and turning the other artery into a 2-way street.

Sounds a lot like the original LRT plan in Ottawa. Was going to run surface through downtown using the existing buses only lanes, just with tracks placed in them as well.

Sounds like a terrible idea. Between Gage and Victoria, the tracks would be pretty far apart.

Back