Toronto Grand Hotel Redevelopment | 153.95m | 49s | Amexon | Core Architects

They haven’t filed a site plan application yet - and given that they are demolishing the hotel, which was supposed to be retained - I fully expect a new design when they do eventually apply.
So they're blowing it up first, then asking questions later?

Scaffolding going up at the front

5D262020-9296-422C-AF79-765D31265C1A.jpeg

I'm surprised to see so few tears shed for this building, considering that Brutalism was supposed to be making its comeback nowadays.

Ultimately I feel that heritage preservation nowadays too often comes down to the 'What is now'- aka what visually remains over the 'What could be'- aka the restoration of hidden/lost visual features. Here, dressed up in an unflattering renovation, the Grand Hotel went under the radar of most people, I'd imagine.

What can you do? I dont understand tearing down a building of this height or stature but what really can you do. Demolition has been approved, and unfortunately the city does care too much about preserving anything post world war 2

What can you do? I dont understand tearing down a building of this height or stature but what really can you do. Demolition has been approved, and unfortunately the city does care too much about preserving anything post world war 2
Even if it wanted to do so, the City has virtually no power to prohibit a building owner demolishing their own property. There are certainly conditions that can be imposed if you demolish a residential building but ....

They are installing a bunch of rebar on the north side for something

99980272-B995-48C6-9CD6-5388395B7381.jpeg

Also of note, not sure how demolition works but all of the rooms still have furnishings. You would think the would have been removed by now.

Reactions: PMT
This must be the largest building demolished in Toronto since that one in the Discovery District area at Elizabeth & Gerrard a few years ago, where the site is now a parking lot.

Are they demolishing the tower? Has there been any demolition (here or elsewhere) involving use of crane?

I have a view of the eastern half up close and so far they have started to gut the top three floors and a bunch of stuff at the bottom. I have been regularly awoken by metal studs being pushed out of the windows and hitting the ground at 7am.....

Back