Toronto Golden Mile Shopping Centre Redevelopment | ?m | 48s | Choice Properties | Giannone Petricone

Said "very bad sense" probably started with the *original* Golden Mile rebuild in the late 80s--at least in how efficiently its spartan space-frame mass degenerated into the acme of "ghetto shopping"...

One of the points of this redevelopment and the Crosstown should be to re-orient the roads. However, quite frankly, the goal shouldn't be to make the roads work better for cars, but for all users. This is no longer a thoroughfare from the DVP to West Hill. Toronto should stop treating it as such.

Don't hide the LRT - run it on the north side of Eglinton with stations that connect directly to the new community. Give the LRT priority at each crossing. Restrict the number of parking spaces. Make it much easier to use transit, and more difficult to use cars, and you'll attract a diverse community that will walk between buildings and frequent local shops. And will use the LRT.

That didn't stop Chicago or the Bronx from having elevated rapid transit lines.
Nope. On the other hand, let's look closer to home - what it costs to keep the Gardiner up. Obscene amounts of dough on an annual basis. Exposure to the elements takes its toll on structural steel and concrete. Yes, road salt is at least part of that equation, which wouldn't necessarily be an issue for an elevated rail line. But winter is a beast. Maybe climate change will work in our favour; maybe not.

One of the big problems with above-ground routes in this climate is the ravages of winter. Power switches freezing comes to mind as one fairly common obstacle on really cold days. As the saying goes, "expect delays."

Trenching is certainly cheaper than tunnelling but you don't insulate yourself from wind and frigid conditions.... a tunnel affords an improved measure of climate control/predictability.

This shouldn't be, on its own, the rationale for building bored tunnels.

As @Northern Light and @Riverdale Rink Rat discussed, my one hope for this development, in conjunction with the redevelopment proposal for the Eglinton Square lands to the south, is that this entire Eglinton/Vic Park/O'Connor intersection is completely redesigned, and that along with the LRT, we seize the opportunity to create a much more urban streetscape, with an intersection that is not hostile to pedestrians and commuters the way it is now. Heck, it's currently even a crappy intersection for motorists. And God forbid anyone approach the area on a bicycle ...

This project will be the anchor development for what is to come for the area. They better get it right.

I agree, the case for underground station at Victoria Park is mounting. With the number of cars expected to traverse the O'Connor-Eglinton intersection, I imagine the LRT being delayed by poor drivers.

Anyone know why above ground is never at option for the TTC? Lots of cities--esp in Asia-- are currently building extensive above ground transit lines. They may not be aesthetically pleasing (though they do create a unique atmosphere in places like Chicago and the Bronx) they must be considerably cheaper than digging tunnels.

Toronto is built out. Land acquisition would be a tremendous cost. Running a line above Eglinton would be hideous. Chicago under the elevated lines are depressing. So too is the more modern Skytrain where it runs parallel with the suburban streets.

Smaller blocks for one. I'm not that convinced by the private spaces that attempt to break up the blocks. It's the typical big tower on podium model too. It's all feels too manufactured without any quality.

Smaller blocks for one. I'm not that convinced by the private spaces that attempt to break up the blocks. It's the typical big tower on podium model too. It's all feels too manufactured without any quality.

I don't get the massive buildings in the middle, unless that's an attempt to just leave and renovate the current big box stores.

I quite like the Eglinton frontage, although I would seriously move the LRT to the north side and build a ground level stop attached to the middle building. Attach the other buildings with +15 Calgary-style walkways and all the retail/office/condos are winter-friendly and transit-friendly.

On the other hand, I totally agree on smaller blocks and more midrise leading north on Victoria Park. Smaller buildings, smaller blocks, stepping down to the greenway.

I'd take the opportunity to build a separated bike lane and pedestrian path north on Vic Park connecting to a ped/bike bridge at Vic Park & Eglinton. Close the Vic Park / O'Connor triangle turn and install proper turning lanes at VP/Eg timed w/o pedestrians as they're up on the bridge.

Back