Toronto GO Transit: Davenport Diamond Grade Separation | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

It's...a lot. Most of the approach ties and track for the western line (they just started laying the south ties this week), all of the eastern line (they're still forming some of the guideway pinion ties), the escape stair, many pieces of the noise wall, all of the landscaping (separate, I know, but it's still on some list somewhere)...

First of all is the 6 months to full substantial completion or until first operations? They don't necessarily need 100% completion of everything to start running a train over it. Things like the noise wall or landscaping that is not life safety can be done after first run.

Also 6 months doesn't mean it can't be made up in some form. It will come down to the project management which hopefully are competent enough to find ways to recoup some time.

Then again the individual looks like just a worker and probably not part of the management staff or even a foreman. 6 months could very much could be just hearsay or a worst case scenario number that has traveled along the broken telephone line

First of all is the 6 months to full substantial completion or until first operations? They don't necessarily need 100% completion of everything to start running a train over it. Things like the noise wall or landscaping that is not life safety can be done after first run.

Also 6 months doesn't mean it can't be made up in some form. It will come down to the project management which hopefully are competent enough to find ways to recoup some time.

Then again the individual looks like just a worker and probably not part of the management staff or even a foreman. 6 months could very much could be just hearsay or a worst case scenario number that has traveled along the broken telephone line
Yeah I am not too sure about the six months delay (100% completion of everything or substantial completion) myself. The worker is just an electrician on the project, I would guess he doesn't know exactly everything in terms of the timeline of the completion. I would guess that maybe the six months delay is 100% complete of the project.

The question is, six months delay measured from when?

If one goes back as far as message #750 in this thread, both tracks were supposed to be finished in June 2021. Obviously, the schedule was restated once or twice since then.

By Message 1507 the final completion had moved to May 2023, with the first track in operation in May 2022. I can find the first track being operable by next May, and I wonder if the second track is actually not that far behind the first. So maybe both tracks by next November - six months behind the 2019 schedule- is credible.

It did appear that there was a serious intent to get the first track done before this winter, and that has likely slipped until the spring.

Metrolinx has indeed wiped a lot of information off its web site, which is considerably dumbed down from the older version. The trusty Wayback Machine isn't too helpful, because a lot of the ML documents were placed behind redirect links. Some of the older pages in this thread may have the source information.

- Paul

Last edited:
they were also working most night shifts before the mid December test deadline and the strike, but now it’s just only days again. Another delayed metrolinx project big surprise lol
Who are the construction managers for this project?
I would say the CM is more responsible for the delivery of the project. ML is more like the money and the overall decision maker here but they don't really call the day to day shots on site. If anything, the former is more to blame.

they were also working most night shifts before the mid December test deadline and the strike, but now it’s just only days again. Another delayed metrolinx project big surprise lol
Exactly. For two months or so, we had powerful lights and near 24 hour operations with 100+ people visible on the guideway from my unit alone. Then, one day, they just sort of gave up. Now we're back to ~20 folks (again, visible from my unit) and only working days. They just seem to have lost interest...

Here we are today:
641E1E8C-8686-49B3-AB6E-65D6FB117819.jpeg
CF5E4F4E-A0D5-469A-AC3C-FF92CD59765F.jpeg
7394A220-30E4-4F5D-B81E-48959CE1D9DD.jpeg
2143F432-E099-4288-BC91-A83B191A10E8.jpeg
D7415C6D-FA10-4EEF-93AE-94FE16F50E4C.jpeg
96CF3EBA-BAA6-4CDF-AC7F-AE511D636F3D.jpeg
9057AB42-ED8C-402F-A1FE-AC64F42A854F.jpeg
DB7A6244-905C-407A-B289-E3974E0AA28E.jpeg

^The CM had a lot of sub’s - including the advanced technology to place the spans.- whose timing is probably hard to control or influence.

I’m not aware of what has stretched out the schedule. Actually, the project has been running pretty smoothly. Schedule performance is not a precise science, although if work falls behind it can cost big time if workers or equipment sit idle or miss their planned slot and move on to other projects.

The big worry would be if any of the work did not meet quality standards - as is the case with the new Edmonton LRT, where concrete pours are already developing cracks that will require rework.. So far as I know, the Davenport construction meets spec.

The sooner the neighbourhood can see the new public space emerging, the better.

- Paul

I really don't want to 'but the private sector' this, because that's almost always an absurd red herring, but I have to say, we measure our delays in days or weeks. Catastrophically, maybe, months...You're entirely correct in that scheduling is not a precise science, Paul, but this is getting absurd.

Similarly, Metrolinx announced they were demo-ing 99 Sudbury over two weeks in July but actually accomplished the work in November.

They're just...not good at this.

I really don't want to 'but the private sector' this, because that's almost always an absurd red herring, but I have to say, we measure our delays in days or weeks. Catastrophically, maybe, months...You're entirely correct in that scheduling is not a precise science, Paul, but this is getting absurd.

Similarly, Metrolinx announced they were demo-ing 99 Sudbury over two weeks in July but actually accomplished the work in November.

They're just...not good at this.

No argument, our standards are slipping generally on managing this stuff.

As I write this, there are bulldozers doing rework on the watermain replacement project on our street, which began last April and was supposed to be done in September. So far we have had sinkholes due to poor workmanship, a sanitary sewer collapse (which meant digging up the new roadbed) and today they are removing the subgrade which froze before they could pour asphalt (who pours asphalt in December ?) The city contracted out the project management so there is no one in authority to complain to. At least our councillor got the boot, which is accountability I suppose, although I’m not sure they had much leverage to address our complaints on this one..

And then there are much bigger concerns like Roncy-Queen, and Crosstown, and…….

I think the problem is systemic, the result of trying to run the core public PM organizations on a shoestring while not matching construction demand to labour and skill supply. And putting too much faith in the whole “private sector” rhetoric……..dumping the whole problem on the construction industry and imposing contracted incentives and deadlines does not actually guarantee very much.

I would bet money that the recent sudden change in pace at Davenport is the result of either just meeting, or giving up completely, on a performance incentive payment. If the latter, are we glad we didn’t have to pay the performance incentive?

Unfinished project + contractor misses lucrative incentive <> success.

- Paul

Last edited:

Back