Toronto GO Transit: Davenport Diamond Grade Separation | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Today's Metrolinx Toronto West Newsletter had this update regarding the Barrie Line rail suspension and bus replacement for the weekend of Dec 16-18:

"This weekend between Downsview Park GO and Newmarket GO we’re upgrading railway crossings, removing and installing culverts, removing vegetation and performing track maintenance, which will support significant service improvements. "

and

"The Davenport Diamond Guideway project work, to allow GO trains to travel above CP rail tracks, has been deferred to another weekend and will not be taking place on Dec. 16- 18."

They haven’t worked yesterday or today, so they just say screw the testing deadline and then also take the weekend off? Nice job metrolinx.

they should really be working as much as possible before the heavy snow hits. Who authorized their days off, not me

Probably has something to due with the strike going on.

So the work is outsourced to other companies, but Metrolinx sets their wages??

So the work is outsourced to other companies, but Metrolinx sets their wages??

Just to be clear, the collective agreement that is being renegotiated (and whose negotiations have reached an impasse, resulting in a work stoppage) is between LIUNA and the Ontario Rail Contractors' Association, which consists of a number of contractors who Metrolinx contracts with for various projects. I don't know whether the primary contractor for the Davenport project is a member of ORCA, but it is likely that some subcontractors who perform tasks such as flagging may be, hence the potential for work on this project to be affected.

The point being, I don't believe that ML itself is directly a party to this strike, but its contractors may be.

- Paul

Last edited:
The latest on the LIUNA 183 web site suggests they do not have a settlement. Just to be clear, there was an agreement but the membership rejected it.
Possibly the work that’s goung on today is not within the jurisduction of that union, or the striking workers’ duties are being performed by management personnell.

- Paul

The latest on the LIUNA 183 web site suggests they do not have a settlement. Just to be clear, there was an agreement but the membership rejected it.
Possibly the work that’s goung on today is not within the jurisduction of that union, or the striking workers’ duties are being performed by management personnell.

- Paul
Not sure boss. Can confirm they are working again today and seems like approx. the same number of workers as before the apparent “strike”. Good to see them back at it.

So I had a talked with my soccer teammate who is an electrician on the Davenport project a few days ago. He told me that this project is already delay by six months. This delay doesn't include the strike with that union too. Sad thing is (not surprising) he told me that the first track over the bridge was suppose to be live (in-service) today lol.

So I had a talked with my soccer teammate who is an electrician on the Davenport project a few days ago. He told me that this project is already delay by six months. This delay doesn't include the strike with that union too. Sad thing is (not surprising) he told me that the first track over the bridge was suppose to be live (in-service) today lol.
I wouldn't have guessed six months, maybe two. That is wild.

This... doesn't sound right

Back