Toronto GO Transit: Davenport Diamond Grade Separation | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Guess it won’t be elevated then. Just rode through them as they were pouring the stones.

From link.

The diversion track will be constructed to temporarily shift the track to the east side of the Rail Corridor. This will allow for the elevated guideway to be constructed on the west side of the Rail Corridor.

Almost all of the work related to the diversion track will occur within the Rail Corridor. Modifications to the Wallace Avenue at-grade crossing will occur in the City right of way.

The base of the elevated Guideway between Wallace and Dupont will be approximately 4.6 metres above grade, and approximately 10 metres wide. The Guideway will vary in elevation along its length. The highest portion of the elevated Guideway will be over the CP rail corridor and will be approximately 9 meters above grade.

56F5321F-0E51-4EAD-975C-0E894726E24D.jpeg
C6319435-F884-44EF-BAD3-3749DF63D5CF.jpeg
01C9CA60-ABD4-464E-ADA1-A61020D8A5A2.jpeg
709D33D4-5489-4FA9-AC61-A81F22677817.jpeg
6271AAD6-B713-4DEF-9DB5-95636F5EC1C1.jpeg
10A72FDC-1881-446B-8E3A-D3A1B86A4850.jpeg
7C189153-BE69-42AD-A01D-9556A4A048DC.jpeg
16E3AFBB-6A2A-4191-AFF9-F8EA73659036.jpeg
93D282EA-CBD6-46DC-95F6-CB7E93B657E8.jpeg
10ACC3E7-ECC9-48AD-B399-DC9E3E2598E7.jpeg
C72ADBB6-515E-4E77-9A12-6C452A7C00C6.jpeg
F8C2C508-F640-4EDA-827A-753E1FF17CF8.jpeg

Forgive my stupid question, but why didn't they build the diversion track as an elevated track first, and then re-build the existing track as elevated after?

Why didn't they build the diversion track as an elevated track first, and then re-build the existing track as elevated after?

Good question. The result would be 2 independent single-track bridges. Off the top of my head (as a non-engineer):
  • Materials cost. 2 sets of supports, walls, ramps, etc. is going to be more expensive than 1 set even if the potential working weight (weight of the train) is half.
  • Manpower cost. Spending ~3 years to construct a single elevated diversion track then an additional 3 years to build a second elevated track would require manpower over a much longer timeline.
  • Land cost. 2 bridges + a gap between them will take more physical space than 1 bridge.
Next obvious question is why not just build the elevated bridge and skip the diversion track entirely? The answer to this is likely related to keeping long-term track curves to a minimum.

^It's a function of creating working room. The diversion track gets rail operations out of the way, as far to the edge of the right of way as possible. Gives more room for construction equipment and activities. That way service can continue uninterrupted.

The plan, according to some of the past open house panels on the project, eg see here and particularly here, is in fact two phases.... build the west track first, then tear out the diversion and build the east track of the overpass. I imagine from the renders that the vertical upright collumns will be built two tracks wide, and the longitudinal sections can be laid in place one track at a time. Probably not a big difference in cost or time to complete, and less disruptive in service. (PS: don't forget that there will be earthworks at either end, where the track grades upwards to the overhead structure. Can't do that grading with a track in the middle)

The plan might have been different if anyone had anticipated the COVID related cutbacks in service, but that's just Murphy at work.

- Paul

Last edited:
^Great shots. Especially like the one with the work machine right at the end of the new track....just like the Leafs, an abrupt ending.

I’m curious.... haven’t been down that way lately - how did all that equipment get placed on the new track? Is there a switch at the south end, or did it all come in by flatbed ?

- Paul

^Great shots. Especially like the one with the work machine right at the end of the new track....just like the Leafs, an abrupt ending.

I’m curious.... haven’t been down that way lately - how did all that equipment get placed on the new track? Is there a switch at the south end, or did it all come in by flatbed ?

- Paul

I would think since it is a diversion track that it diverts from the mainlline somewhere out of camera range (although still could have arrived by truck).

- Paul

If other projects like this are anything to go by, flatbed. Cranes are also sometimes required.

Dan

Back