Toronto George Brown College Waterfront Campus | ?m | 8s | George Brown | KPMB

p5:

Didn't know the story behind the frit pattern - thanks for that bit of info!

AoD

Sure thing. Another thing with this building is that there is a lot of constructivist ideas in it, but sadly many of them were watered down or taken out because of either budgetary constraints or city planning. This build did have to go through an extensive process with the DesignReview Board, which was definitely beneficial there are some things that they felt needed to be less stand-outish. Strangely, they helped shape the building but also took an axe to I as well. I think irrespective of this, we will see a pretty great building take its final place.

If and when they ever need the space, although I don't think this is happening anymore there is/was the plan to extend across the street to the north-the expansion was to be connected by tunnel and bridge and would have had an addition much like the south building, only much shallower.

p5

The frit pattern was actually derived from the reflections and scattering of the sunlight on the water of lake Ontario..numerous tests were done to determine the appropriate patterning, but I think this one works.

The building will turn out well- much better than corus that's for sure - especially considering the various cladding materials, glazing types and conglomeration of massings. It will also have accents of color inside that will radiate through the glass and make things pop..(ie: furniture, columns, seating etc.)

Stantec or EllisDon?

Why do Corus/GBC call to mind Sheridan Business Park in Mississauga?

because its box-like, has its own parking lot, and you cant get there on a subway.

Dropped a package off at FedEx today, so I took the opportunity to do a 360 of GBC. This is going to be spectacular! The double tall windows with the frit pattern, facing the park and harbour, are very cool. The slightly overhanging top two floors on the SE corner, the scissor stairs, and the top floor lecture halls (I assume) are all fabulous. A beautiful building. Kudos!

gbcn12a.jpg

gbcn12b.jpg

Back