Toronto George Brown College Waterfront Campus | ?m | 8s | George Brown | KPMB

this is a rather stripped down, bare and soulless counterpart to Pompidou outside of the exposed staircases... but sure, lets dream big. Doug Ford big.

First time I've ever heard someone say the Pompidou has 'soul'.

This is going to be a great building -- there's lots of great little touches. Let's not piss on GBC from a great height because it's not a nine-figure museum build out.

A George Brown Residence, I believe, but I may be out-of-date on that. A tunnel extends under Dockside Dr. to connect this with the next building.

This is no longer happening, due to budget shortfalls this plot of land will most likely end up sold or developed privately. The intention had been to expand the GBC campus northwards with this addition, however it seems unlikely anymore. We will see better after completion of the ain buikding what will truly happen.

I donk know about a great building...if anything, its OK

Once there's 5k students and staff animating the building, park, and boardwalk, this is going to be a great addition to the waterfront. It fits nicely into its location with lots of very nice small touches (the fritted glass, scissor stairs, cantilevered top 2 floors, skylights in the upper amphitheatres, etc.) It, with Corus next door, will provide a great backdrop for the boardwalk (I believe there's a bunch more cafes, etc. going in the ground floor)

AG: What would have made it better? What would have made it a better GBC campus and yet as welcoming for non-students?

Well said, R.R. Rat.

For me, the "greatness" of this building lies in the enabling, life-giving qualities you point out and that I also anticipate it will bring to Sherbourne Common. I think peering over the park from the fourth-floor terrace will be an engaging, surprising view as the neighbourhood grows.

Aesthetically, I too like the elegant expression and twinkle-in-the-eye, sparkling, luminescent detailing. But I feel the main fun bit is the way it makes the functional explicit (hence my Beaubourg association) in a reserved, honest way, letting activity be the real star of the show. What's more, it's a nice, multi-volume riff on our neo-modernist tradition (cue the throwing of eggs). It doesn't need a Fordian supertall ferris wheel made of onion domes to make a strong statement (or Piano's RGB exposed utility piping, for that matter). It's more along the lines of how Peter Zumthor can make a tin shack look nice - just good craft.

Last edited:
Slightly dated photo, but posting just to "agree" with northto: the park is all the better with the new neighbours.

DSC_0133.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0133.jpg
    DSC_0133.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 280
For AG, anything over 300 metres would make him all dizzy and giggly - even if it was clad in newsprint and tinfoil.

Ahh come on, just cause i said....i dont know about a great building...if anything, its OK...you bring up the the 300 meter thingy.
I guess nowadays....it must be painfull being an anti-development bloke in this booming city

If I may speak for him, I don't think he's anti-dev't, just anti-poor development. The kind that will reduce quality of life and the integrity of the city. Some on this forum don't seem to care what form dev't takes, as long as it's big, fast, and dazzling.

Back