Toronto George Brown College Waterfront Campus | ?m | 8s | George Brown | KPMB

I actually prefer this to the campus being built at MCC. This design seems a bit more cohesive although I do like some of the materials being used in MCC. Sitting next to a beautiful park and waterfront to some degree demands windows.

Images from the report:

From the northeast, bathed in moonlight, sailing ship on the quay, terribly romantic:

GBCMoonlight.jpg

Detail:

GBCMoonlightDetail.jpg

Model from the same direction:

GBCModelEast.jpg

Model, closer:

GBCModelNE.jpg

From the southeast:

GBCModelSE.jpg

From the south:

GBCModelSouth.jpg

From a yacht:

GBCWaterside.jpg

Detail from as seen from a yacht, sipping iced tea, real brewed, none of that powdery stuff, sprig of mint:

GBCWatersideDetail.jpg

Disembarked, on the Waterfront Promenade:

GBCPromenade.jpg

Later that day, from a hang-glider:

GBCDockside.jpg

Closer look:

GBCDocksideDetail.jpg

Cutting through, south to north:

GBCCrossSection.jpg

Interior amphitheatre seating:

GBCLearningLandscape.jpg

Amphitheatre view:

GBCAmphitheatre.jpg

Green roofs and deck from above, looking from the northwest:

GBCGreenRoofs.jpg

Closer:

GBCGreenRoofsDetail.jpg

Most of this is pleasing and balanced with it's surroundings (I wish I could go to school here) except for the corrugated iron clad amphitheater section. I'm all for experimenting with form, but this part seems disconnected from the main building, and hope they revisit this component of their design. It reminds me a bit of the Gehry staircase on the AGO: a feature that creates tension with the main theme works only when constructed with good materials and doesn't look like a shoreline bunker.

It well proportioned I'll give it that much - and the campus at MCC does suffer due to a lack of this as I mentioned in it's thread i.e. simply put it's a bit messy overall. But I think I'd still take that over this as it's different and interesting. This fits in well and that's about it.

This is phase 1 ?

I really like this, when that boardwalk is complete, that area of the waterfront is going to be a great place to be in the summer time.

Most of this is pleasing and balanced with it's surroundings (I wish I could go to school here) except for the corrugated iron clad amphitheater section. I'm all for experimenting with form, but this part seems disconnected from the main building, and hope they revisit this component of their design. It reminds me a bit of the Gehry staircase on the AGO: a feature that creates tension with the main theme works only when constructed with good materials and doesn't look like a shoreline bunker.

You said it: the cladding of this section will really make or break this building's aesthetics.

Fingers crossed.

Most of this is pleasing and balanced with it's surroundings (I wish I could go to school here) except for the corrugated iron clad amphitheater section.

Is it corrugated metal cladding or is it wood panelling? I'm sort of hoping that the elements on the east half of the building are wood rather than metal.

It's pretty much at ground level. (In some parts)
[video=youtube;bSjQ0wIB19I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSjQ0wIB19I[/video]

Why is there a bridge connection to the Corus building?
Do you mean from the renders? That bridge runs north-south, not east-west, and connects with a yet-to-started second building. This article provides some details:
The first college building, closest to Lake Ontario, will house nursing, dental, health and wellness, gerontology and other programs.

The school wants to talk to the city about teaming up to design the second building, which will house a gym -- open to the public evenings and weekends -- along with, potentially, a community centre. A street, known right now as Dockside Drive, will bisect the two buildings, east-west.

Back