Toronto Garrison Crossing (was Fort York Pedestrian and Cycle Bridge) | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | Pedelta

Due to the time that has passed and the redesign, the new bridge ended up costing about the same or slightly more than the original. And it was built almost 8 years late.

Well, that's assuming the construction went perfectly according to plan. As noted above, it's a pretty unique piece of engineering and unique often means overbudget and behind schedule.

I also think the current design's access to Liberty Village is a plus.

Due to the time that has passed and the redesign, the new bridge ended up costing about the same or slightly more than the original. And it was built almost 8 years late.
?
Web results
Major construction on Fort York pedestrian bridge gets underway ...
https://www.cbc.ca/news/.../fort-york-pedestrian-garrison-crossing-bridge-1.4765386
3 days ago - The bridge, which will connect Stanley Park on the north to Fort York on the south, was shot down by city council in 2011, with the sticking point being the bridge's estimated $26-million price tag. When it was revived, it was said to cost about $18 million. Coun.
Construction begins on pedestrian crossing bridge near Fort York ...
https://globalnews.ca/news/4358779/pedestrian-bridge-fort-york/
2 days ago - The first of the two bridges for the new Garrison Crossing started to be constructed early Saturday. In 2011, the idea for this project was shot down and then revived later in the year at an estimated cost of just under $20 million.
[...]

While I agree that the updated design providing access to the Ordnance Triangle is an improvement, there's one key thing that I'm not really sold on. It's the orientation of the ramp that leads up to the bridge on the south side.

In the previous design linked above, access to the ramp was from the east, whereas in the current design access is from the west.

As we know, and as mentioned in the CBC article, the only way to currently cross the tracks is to go up Strachan to the west or Bathurst to the east. In the old design, with ramp access from the east, the entry point seemed to be somewhat equidistant between those two options. With the new design having the ramp access from the west, it looks like it's much closer to Strachan than it is to Bathurst. So if you're coming from the middle or eastern end of Garrison Common, you'll have to walk almost all the way west to get to the ramp, which then takes you back east to get to the bridge. The rendering does also show a flight of stairs, which mitigates this a bit, but it seems like it would be better with the ramp access being closer to the middle of the park.

I'm wondering if anyone could share some thoughts on why the decision was made to change the orientation of the ramp.

The ramp is parallel to the rail tracks so that it doesn't interrupt the park space with a raised structure. If you're on a bicycle, then the little bi of extra distance to ascend the ramp is no big deal, but if you're walking, you're right, the stairs are there so that you don't have to go a but west.

July 31
A few preview shots
41983109540_38735dc6fb_b.jpg

43791925101_2ef2811fa6_b.jpg

28855740567_82a341d31f_b.jpg

43744204822_6dea656a76_b.jpg

somehow I get the feeling that this is about to blow the september deadline... yet again..

Also, the Liberty Village bridge has yet to start construction despite the city claiming it would start this year. Why is it that any active transport project the city seems to take on takes 3 times as long as they always claim?

somehow I get the feeling that this is about to blow the september deadline... yet again..

Also, the Liberty Village bridge has yet to start construction despite the city claiming it would start this year. Why is it that any active transport project the city seems to take on takes 3 times as long as they always claim?
The Garrison Crossing bridge so far is only late by a few weeks. The lift of the second span was originally scheduled for August, but now will take place in September. All in all, not such a big of a delay.
As to the King Liberty pedestrian bridge, I've contacted the city, and they blamed Metrolinx for the delay on the permit to work near the rail corridor. They assured me that the contractor will be mobilized on site any day now.

The Garrison Crossing bridge so far is only late by a few weeks. The lift of the second span was originally scheduled for August, but now will take place in September. All in all, not such a big of a delay.
As to the King Liberty pedestrian bridge, I've contacted the city, and they blamed Metrolinx for the delay on the permit to work near the rail corridor. They assured me that the contractor will be mobilized on site any day now.
The first construction notice when the project started had completion at Summer 2017.

fyb-constructionnotice-aug2016-1-jpg.85855

I say not a chance the new trail opens before mid-Spring 2019, no matter when the second lift is. They'll want any new landscaping given some time to grow in before they allow people alongside it.

Every project the city is involved in, is delayed. I don't know why you are so surprised.

Back