Toronto Garrison Crossing (was Fort York Pedestrian and Cycle Bridge) | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | Pedelta

news_3_468_24.jpg

great find AoD !! this is good solid bridge design ~ :D

PE ... you just beat me to posting that image ... LOL

It looks like this is in danger of being axed by Ford. (article in theStar).

However, substantial money has already been spent. Will it look good on the anti-wasteful spending champion to be throwing away tens of millions of dollars already spent on these projects and have nothing to show for it?

A national historic site is considered 'gravy'?

I also don't understand why the provincial and federal governments are not contributing more to this.

It's supposed to be fast tracked so that it's complete in time for 2012. It would be in advanced planning at this point. I don't imagine that he would convince council to scrap all the money on planning already spent and contract cancellations all while neglecting a site of national importance and missing the bi-centennial celebrations.

Mike Layton no doubt will lead the charge on saving this and even right wingers on council care about history.

Mike Layton no doubt will lead the charge on saving this and even right wingers on council care about history.

Don't forget Adam Vaughan as back-up. And given everything else, well...a new Battle over Fort York is where Rob Ford can *really* come a-cropper...

A real shame if this gets killed - and a true embarrassment for the city if it happens.

Except that don't underestimate the cultural clout behind the protest of such killing, in this case...

Back in the 1950's, when the Gardiner Expressway was being built, the original route was to go over Fort York. While there was not much community involvement back then, there was enough to persuade the powers-that-be to take a different route for the expressway.

With the pedestrian bridge, there will be even more of an uprising should it be canceled.

I know I'll be mad as hell. I'm buying a condo near Stanley Park counting on the park being connected to the waterfront via Fort York. I bet that a lot of the community around the park was looking forward to the bridge as well. Pantalone made a big deal out of it. People are expecting it to be built now.

Back