Toronto Garrison Crossing (was Fort York Pedestrian and Cycle Bridge) | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | Pedelta

Nfitz: I don't understand all the references to the project being killed however. The original decision to send it back to rework clearly didn't kill it; and what has come back seems much more reasonable - and cheaper. And still looks very cool. As much as I despise the pro-Ford dishonesty and lack of transparency at City Hall, the opposition seems to be just as guilty here.

The original design, which was more elegant, would have been built and opened by this time next year until Doug pulled his petty little stunt.

Any new bridge, if all goes well, will be built and opened by this time in 2014. That in itself is a huge deal. The lower cost comes with a cost beyond just the design. Something about knowing the cost of everything and the value of nothing, you know.

Last edited:
3 and 4 (truss bridges) aren't up for consideration. A1, A2 and A5 are. Layton prefers A5 which are two smaller similarly designed bridges that go straight across unlike the diagonal configuration of the others. They're connected in the middle by a park.

20111103fortyorknew.jpg

I personally like this design the least. The curved bridge platform was one of the most interesting parts of the original design. A straight bridge has nothing in common with the original other than the arch which doesn't appear to be structural, just a cosmetic add on.

I don't think A5 is Layton's preferred design.

Layton's website says: "Our preferred proposal includes two bridges, with one bridge linking Wellington Street south to the Ordnance Street area and a second bridge spanning from Fort York north to the Ordnance Street area. Both spans would be linked by a park and would be fully accessible from Ordnance Street. This option has better access, use of space and most reflects the original design (my emphasis)."

The report says A1 is the alternative design that most reflects the original. It is also the example that Layton displays on his website. I believe A1 is Layton's preferred design:

2011113-fycpb.jpg

BlogTO seems to agree, and expresses cautious optimism that the bridge will finally go ahead, but later than hoped. Although it sucks about the delay, if the PWIC gets this done at a savings of millions, I would think everybody could come out of this looking pretty good.

Last edited:
http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/1...-cheaper-fort-york-bridge-gets-a-second-look/

A cheaper Fort York bridge gets a second look

Natalie Alcoba Nov 3, 2011 – 8:46 AM ET

A pedestrian and cycling bridge to Fort York that was declared dead has new life, as city councillors consider Thursday alternative, lower-cost designs for the arched link.

The three “visually appealing†options city staff endorse in a report obtained by the National Post would cost millions less than the original design, described as Toronto’s version of the Golden Gate Bridge by right-leaning councillors who balked at the price tag.

The options are contained in a report that will be debated at public works on Thursday. It now pegs the total cost for the original design at$26.2-million. The three options recommended by city staff would cost anywhere from $17.9-million to $19.8-million and maintain key features of the original blueprint, such as the arch support system. There are two cheaper options that cost $11-million and $15-million, respectively.

The bridge was part of revitalization efforts for Fort York and was meant to be done in time for the bicentennial celebrations of the War of 1812 in June 2012. Construction isn’t expected to start now until 2014.

A main reason why they are cheaper is the use of a berm to support the structure, rather than a pier. The bridge will rise over the rail corridor and connect Stanley Park with Fort York. Councillor Mike Layton says he prefers the option that involves two bridge spans that are linked by a park.

By building the bridge as part of a larger plan for a triangle parcel of city and privately owned lands on Ordnance Street and Strachan Avenue, staff say the city will also be able to generate at least $5-million in development charges and other related revenue, which will offset the cost.

According to CBC the bridge is resurrected and the Committee (or presumably City staff) are now looking at three designs that use the berm. The Committee report will come to Council at their next meeting.

First a map to show the area in discussion.

This may already be the case, but I think before anything gets built, the slaughterhouse should be closed. I love mixed use neighbourhoods, but I am not at all in favour of this. IF anything such facilities should be located outside of the city and closer to the farms. Absolutely no need for this place in the city anymore.

Furthermore - is the plan to open up both the triangle and the part where the bridge will ultimately touch down on the north side of the tracks for redevelopment?

p5

Last edited:
The original design, which was more elegant, would have been built and opened by this time next year until Doug pulled his petty little stunt.

Any new bridge, if all goes well, will be built and opened by this time in 2014. That in itself is a huge deal. The lower cost comes with a cost beyond just the design. Something about knowing the cost of everything and the value of nothing, you know.
If the bridge failed to connect to the middle property then it doesn't really matter how much earlier it would have been completed. 50 years from now we won't care that it opened 24 to 36 months later ... but the residents would still be cursing the lack of foresight of connecting to the middle property.

Much of the delay to the bridge comes from this artificial deadline by Metrolinx related to not wanting to further interfere with construction on the Georgetown GO line. I'm quite sure if Metrolinx felt this bridge had to be constructed, they'd quickly find a way to fit the construction in with the other projects.

This may already be the case, but I think before anything gets built, the slaughterhouse should be closed. I love mixed use neighbourhoods, but I am not at all in favour of this. IF anything such facilities should be located outside of the city and closer to the farms. Absolutely no need for this place in the city anymore.

The slaughterhouse was there first. I'm sure if someone wants to pay them an enormous sum, they'll sell. Otherwise, everyone else intrudes on them, not the other way around.

My great uncle had a dairy farm east of Ottawa (Blair Road) and the place next door developed into houses. Sure enough, people bought the houses and promptly started to complain about the manure smell. Uncle Emerson had one standard reply -- "When you bought your house, did you not come to look at it? Didn't you smell the cows then?" He did, however, open a farmer's market to fleece the new neighbours...

Hopefully they choose an option with the middle connection point as far east as feasible to allow the greatest development potential in the triangle. I agree that the lack of access points to the triangle in the original design was incredibly short sighted.

The slaughterhouse was there first. I'm sure if someone wants to pay them an enormous sum, they'll sell. Otherwise, everyone else intrudes on them, not the other way around.

Yeah, that may be, but honestly I don't care. Furthermore, this is not an appropriate area for this sort of facility. I am not at all against mixed use areas, but this is less about the appeal of the slaughterhouse and more about both friendlier to the animals, and more practical. Why do trucks need to drive all along the 401, down the 427, along the QEW/Gardiner, then along Lakeshore and up Strachan with a truckload full of full grown pigs. Which, I might add, are probably getting fresh air for the first time? Do we really need to subject the animals to more before we ultimately kill them? I think its ridiculous that this place even exists in the hood anymore - most jurisdictions would have driven this out a long time ago.

Well, there is the issue of fairness to the operator of the facility, which did invent time, money and labour. There are legal mechanisms for expropriation if necessary - but to drive them out without that process (and by extension compensation) would be ethically problematic.

AoD

Why do trucks need to drive all along the 401, down the 427, along the QEW/Gardiner, then along Lakeshore and up Strachan with a truckload full of full grown pigs.

I know it's "incorrect", but the licence plates "ROB FORD" and "MR DECO" came to mind

I know it's "incorrect", but the licence plates "ROB FORD" and "MR DECO" came to mind

That's the laugh I needed which has been waiting to get out all day... :)

As for the slaughterhouse I don't see the problem with it there. It smells and it does seem to be in an inconvenient area this day in age but it provides plenty of decent jobs so let it stay.

That's the laugh I needed which has been waiting to get out all day... :)

As for the slaughterhouse I don't see the problem with it there. It smells and it does seem to be in an inconvenient area this day in age but it provides plenty of decent jobs so let it stay.

I'll rather have industrial jobs here in Toronto, than out in the 519 area code. Or worse, having to ship processed food in from India or China.

I'll rather have industrial jobs here in Toronto, than out in the 519 area code. Or worse, having to ship processed food in from India or China.

Morgan Solar is being forced to relocate from the Fort York area, after condo developers successfully petitioned to have its building's "Employment Area" zoning changed to "Commercial/Mixed-Use." Apparently, Morgan Solar reached a deal that gives them until 2012 to find a new location in Toronto, but this is still crappy news. Morgan Solar is the type of clean industrial operation that we need in Toronto's "Employment Areas." If condos keep squeezing out workplaces, then we will have created a reverse bedroom community, with condo owners hopping into their cars to drive to the suburbs for work.

Happily, the rezoning deal does require the new development to make room for "Employment Areas," but this will probably mean more design studios or software developers, and not a manufacturing/industrial operation. We probably don't want smoke-spewing factories down there, but there shouldn't be an economic monoculture either.

Morgan Solar is being forced to relocate from the Fort York area, after condo developers successfully petitioned to have its building's "Employment Area" zoning changed to "Commercial/Mixed-Use." Apparently, Morgan Solar reached a deal that gives them until 2012 to find a new location in Toronto, but this is still crappy news. Morgan Solar is the type of clean industrial operation that we need in Toronto's "Employment Areas." If condos keep squeezing out workplaces, then we will have created a reverse bedroom community, with condo owners hopping into their cars to drive to the suburbs for work.

Happily, the rezoning deal does require the new development to make room for "Employment Areas," but this will probably mean more design studios or software developers, and not a manufacturing/industrial operation. We probably don't want smoke-spewing factories down there, but there shouldn't be an economic monoculture either.
The production of solar cells is, ironically, highly toxic. It's unfortunate that the plant is being forced to move, but I don't think it's a good idea to have a plant dealing with hazardous materials next to a dense residential area.

Back