Toronto Four Seasons Hotel and Private Residences Toronto | 203.9m | 52s | Lifetime | a—A

The status of Lotus is that they are working on the parking garage. They dug fairly deep (maybe 5 levels). Appears that they are on level 3. Still a while until they reach ground level. The building is essentially sold out (I think they have one unit left).

JG

Its amazing how everything has opened up around the former car dealership. Big, big winners are residents of the lower tower component of 18 Yorkville. You couldn't even SEE them before.
Soth side of Yorkville is another story - when will that start of evolve?

GONE!

Just the cleanup left. The site is massive. This will be one huge pit when they start excavation.

Next step - sales.

IMG_4788_1.JPG

From Northern Lotus at SSC:

"From some community source that the 2 4-Seasons towers on Bay/Yorkville, the taller one will be adding an extra of about 7 floors and the lower one will be reduced by 7 floors. So the taller one will be jumped from the 6th tallest building in TO to the 2nd at about 67/69 floors. This is a compromise between the builder and the community group as they want to reduce the shadow on the nearby school.

The lower building is on the north and is closer to the residential area and the school. The lower one is 30 storeys and the higher one is 55 storeys, both are sitting on a 6 story podium. The residential community group tried to kill the project but failed. The city planning dept. has already approved this project, it will go to OMB which will rubber stamp it. So the only chance for the residential community group to improve the project is to reduce the height of the lower building and add height to the taller building. The floor space added on will be smaller than the rest of the building, in other words, it is rather pointed, hence casting less shadow.
The developer basically agreed to the suggestion as higher floors can sell for higher prices.
I know someone who sits on the residential community committee. However, the final outcome has yet to be finalized."

As it stands right now it will be the 9th tallest in the city, with a height increase it could achieve the position of around 6th IMO.

Huh?!

The city planning dept. has already approved this project, it will go to OMB which will rubber stamp it. So the only chance for the residential community group to improve the project is to reduce the height of the lower building and add height to the taller building.

City council already approved the project, and I am not aware the neighbourhood association(s) had appealed it to the OMB. Why would such changes be made considering the stated fact that the neighbourhood associations find the project to be to tall to start?

I would definitely take this piece with a grain of salt. However, I certainly wouldn't mind the outcome if it proves true.

AoD

And in fact, the taller tower was approved at 46 floors, not 55 as originally proposed.

" am not aware the neighbourhood association(s) had appealed it to the OMB"

oh they have but definitely not to make it taller

I agree. The compromise was made between all parties before the counsel vote, which, to the best of my knowledge, was the final plan. I do not believe any of the parties have been in talks since then to alter anything and I do not believe that the project is before the OMB.

Tower is approved for 46 as stated. and 193m If it went 7 storeys higher it would be at least 210m likely closer to 220 Metres.

I doesnt seem to make sense to fight to have one building reduced and the other one increased when the buildings are right next to each other anyhoots..

But, hey I'm wrong alot so lets see what happens.

Re: Yorkville construction

Sizes range from 1956sf to 4955sf. Prices ranging from $1260psf to $1400psf! One can dream.

edit: Posted this a bit too late :)
-------
So it's grown by 4 floors but they've only added about 2 meters? Canuck 36's list has it at 633ft (193m) and the article says it's now 195 meters.
-------

So I wonder if they'll be releasing new renderings to take the changes into account.

From the Post:

Yorkville towers approved
Four seasons complex: OMB ruling allows for taller tower than city ok'd

Greg Macdonald, National Post
Published: Saturday, January 20, 2007

The Ontario Municipal Board has approved a $500-million project, including the city's seventh- highest building, to be built in ''the armpit of Yorkville.''

The 50-storey, 195-metre tower will be a part of the Four Seasons hotel-condominium complex on Bay Street, between Scollard Street and Yorkville Avenue.

The complex will also contain a 24-storey residential building. The higher tower will consist of a 20-floor hotel, as well as condo units, for a total of 241 condos and 250 hotel rooms.

The ruling, which allows for a taller tower than that approved by Toronto city council, has been met with some local hostility.

Although a prominent community group reached an agreement with Bay-Yorkville Developments regarding the towers' heights, other organizations are still opposed to the development.

Sheila Latham, director of the Save Yorkville Heritage Association, fears the project could "destroy" Yorkville.

"The way I see it, this new building being approved puts all low-rise buildings in the area under threat," Ms. Latham said.

"It would ruin the area's lowrise charm, sunshine, and its streetscape, which is on a human scale," she said.

Ms. Latham charged that the city and community leaders had been "bought off" by the developers, Bay-Yorkville Developments, citing a $5.2-million donation to the community under Section 37 of the Planning Act. The funding will go to improve the local fire hall, library and the yard at Jesse Ketchum Public School.

"What kind of rules have we got when someone with deep pockets can buy out the opposition?" she said.

The OMB decision, released this month, called the property "one of the largest underutilized properties remaining within the midtown area, an important mixed-use area that includes the high-rise character of the Bay- Bloor-Yonge-Street area."

City council had approved 45- and 35-storey towers. The heights were changed to address controversy over shadows the towers will cast on the Ketchum schoolyard.

The new plans do little to fix this, according to Ms. Latham. "The schoolyard is only going to get half an hour more sunshine a d ay," she said. "This is a terrible precedent and an outrageous building. It sets the stage for more shadowing of public space."

Despite the controversy, local city councillor Kyle Rae is pleased with the decision.

"Most of the neighbourhoods that opposed it were happy to see the tall tower get taller and the shorter tower get shorter. The new plans will reduce the shadow impact across the street," he said.

"We're talking about the armpit of Yorkville. This is a great location for a five-star hotel and is a great opportunity for the revitalization of the east side of Yorkville," he said.

Mr. Rae said his office has already seen retailers' proposals to move into the area because of the Four Seasons project.

"The community was [at the OMB hearing] and they agreed to it. The one group that did oppose it had their day in court."

The project will not only benefit the immediate community but the city as a whole, according to a spokeswoman for Menkes Ltd., the managing partner in Bay- Yorkville Developments.

"The $500-million project will create great economic opportunity, including 1,600 construction jobs," said Mimi Ing.

© National Post 2007

AoD

Back