Toronto Four Seasons Hotel and Private Residences Toronto | 203.9m | 52s | Lifetime | a—A

I walked by yesterday and thought the exact same thing. Up close you don't get as much of a feeling for how tall it is. It is strange.

Buildings transform as you approach them. From a distance, they can be appreciated as sculptural forms on the horizon. The visual foreshortening that occurs when you stand at the base of a tall tower such as this one, and look up, is an antidote to the irrational "fear of heights" that motivates the NIMBYs.

That sounds counterintuitive - seeing a building up close it appears shorter because you have a fear of heights? Or did you mean to say it seems taller because you have a fear of heights. Regardless, I don't any such fears, it was just an observation that a few of us shared.

24 May 2011--best highrise built in past 12 years?

018ao.jpg

i said this at SSP, but the lower base of the north side (the one clad in black with the random windows) reminds me of the rear end of the FS opera house on university,

I can comprehend Kant easily and I have no idea what UrbanShocker was trying to convey.

That you read and 'comprehend' eighteenth-century philosophy ('easily,' no less) has little to do with your *very real* misreading of Shocker's first sentence: "Buildings transform as you approach them." When boasting about all you know, it's best to re-read what you've originally quarreled with once or twice first.

That you read and 'comprehend' eighteenth-century philosophy ('easily,' no less) has little to do with your *very real* misreading of Shocker's first sentence: "Buildings transform as you approach them." When boasting about all you know, it's best to re-read what you've originally quarreled with once or twice first.

It was no boast, merely hyperbole meant to indicate that it was poorly written. I reread it several times.

It's not worth arguing over... US drinks in her dotage. Many of her afternoon ramblings are incoherent. Better to catch her early in the morning.

to simplify, what he was saying was: the way to shut up NIMBY's who complain about buildings being too tall is to have them stand at the base of one, because from that perspective the height is completely hidden.

Some shots looking south from Minto Quantum South Tower (Yonge & Eglinton) over the past few years. Wish I had taken more!

August 2008:
2008%20August%2015.JPG

October 2010:
2010%20Oct%2013.JPG

May 2011:
2011%20May%2024%20a.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I can comprehend Kant easily and I have no idea what UrbanShocker was trying to convey.

I Cant comprehend Kant, but what US said is straightforward. Her posts are some the most thoughtful on this site, you should complain about mine.

Last edited:

Back