Toronto Forma | 308m | 84s | Great Gulf | Gehry Partners

Feeling so RELIEVED. Thank god these buildings are starting to look nice the last renderings made it look like a communist block with a runny nose

This is wonderful. I hope it turns out like that and isn’t cheapened to oblivion over time. It’s great to have something as positive as this to look forward to while our municipal politics is so depressing.

at first impression I thought it was going to be very cheap and a chaos but today as I looked at the new renders it looks promising :)

Yes both towers have been approved. Now the challenge is to find a reputable builder that's willing to take on such a daunting project.
Sorry for asking again; this 2 tower iteration has been approved? That's bloody magnificent! What about the heritage building? Does it stand or not? Either way, this is the biggest bit of development news in 30-40 years, country-wide... Have to go back to the Big O/ CN Tower days to have something this dramatic in the pipeline...

I like the direction that the design is taking. I'm sure it will still evolve a lot more and be even more refined over time. But, it is looking very promising.

Last edited:
I love what's going on in the evolution of the design. Like some of the other posters here, I'm hoping for a novel cladding material.

How about a re-cladding of the POW theatre. It's in dire need of something that will coordinate well with these towers / podiums. I know, dreaming.

Let's just leave the POW alone. I know its style isn't 'cool' these days but we need to stop destroying buildings or compromising them simply because they aren't in favour. Good grief, how many great buildings have we already lost due to the short-sightedness of previous generations that deemed them unfashionable?

*I'm not suggesting that the POW is actually 'great' either, i'd rather leave that for future generations to decide... though I do like it just fine!

I wonder some if the Gehry approach translates that well to skyscrapers. I've only seen pictures of 8 Spruce, and know that isn't a fair assessment, but it always looks unsettling to me, like it's diseased. What is playful in Gehry at a smaller scale may become apocalyptic when made massive. But he's one of the most important and innovative architects of the time, and building is pushing new limits, so of course he should try, and where better than his hometown.

The new model does look like it's heading in an amazing direction. An entire face of a giant building that reads as a unified slab of crackling glass, intricately detailed not by windows but by the kind of ripples and facets found in nature, contrasted against other faces that look machined, metallic. That would have that sculptural quality that Gehry searches for. In earlier explorations I think the treatments flipped on the buildings on the other sides. I wonder if that would still be the plan here. The question now would be if what we see here in a model is technologically and economically possible in a real building.

Say "no to terra cotta", and "hello to metallic machine like cladding". The tower on the right looks very cool. And quite "different" for sure.

Would a metallic cladding on this scale cause issues with sunlight reflection or radiant heat? I"m thinking about that building in London England that had such issues.

Back