Toronto Forma | 308m | 84s | Great Gulf | Gehry Partners

Would a metallic cladding on this scale cause issues with sunlight reflection or radiant heat? I"m thinking about that building in London England that had such issues.

I might cause some glare, but that's about it.
The problem with the Walkie-Talkie was that its concave facade (intended to maximize floor space at greater heights) focused all beams of light hitting that particular face onto a single, very small area, which in turn created excess heat. The complex warped facade of the Mirvish+Gehry Towers will deflect sunlight in all directions.

If Gehry decides to go with a metallic cladding, it should be perfectly fine, since there were no problems with light focusing.
But I might be wrong... (remember to check the date this article was published...)
http://inhabitat.com/nyc/new-york-by-gehrys-insanely-shiny-facade-sets-fire-to-local-buildings/

Last edited:
Interesting excerpt in Vanity Fair article:

There are architects, and there are architects. And then there is Frank Gehry, the charismatic, Canadian-born wizard of swooping steel and glass. His 1997 Guggenheim Museum, in Bilbao, Spain, was as different from anything that had come before it as the Concorde was from all other commercial jetliners. When Vanity Fair asked 52 of the world’s top architects and critics in 2010 to name their favorite building designed by a living architect, Gehry’s Bilbao was the hands-down winner. V.F. architecture critic Paul Goldberger says that, with his new Fondation Louis Vuitton building, in Paris’s Bois du Boulogne, a structure that looks as if it could positively levitate, Gehry may have outdone himself. For his report in this issue, “Gehry’s Paris Coup,†on page 290, Goldberger took several hard-hat tours of the (reportedly) $143 million, 126,000-square-foot glass-enclosed museum, which is something like a 21st-century answer to the Grand Palais. “This building,†he writes, “is a whole new thing, a new work of monumental public architecture that is not precisely like anything that anyone, including Frank Gehry, has done before.â€

Goldberger, who is at work on a biography of Gehry, observes that, at 85, the world’s most celebrated living architect continues to push himself relentlessly forward, the way Picasso and Frank Lloyd Wright did in their own twilights, a notion that certainly strikes a blow against any sort of starchitect fatigue out there. And not only is the Fondation Louis Vuitton—which houses a blue-chip contemporary-art collection pulled from LVMH’s significant art holdings—a daring addition to the iconic cityscape of Paris, its opening in October will mark a bold new era in the artistic life of one of the world’s greatest cultural capitals. “Paris,†Goldberger writes, “has never experienced a marriage of cultural ambition and private enterprise of this magnitude.â€

http://www.vanityfair.com/magazine/2014/09/graydon-carter-frank-gehry-paris

I just returned from Bilbao where the sheer massiveness of the Guggenheim Museum hit me like a ton of bricks as I drove over the bridge into the city. It's an absolute masterpiece.

...but some of the magic faded away as I took a walk around it. It's not aging well and demonstrates Gehry's lack of attention to small details. He's more of a big picture architect. Up close, his work doesn't hold up. The exposed framework and shoddy workmanship on some parts of the building is terrible. I've noticed this on his buildings with more extravagant flourishes, less on his more restrained work.

This is to say that the latest incarnation of the Mirvish Gehry towers may turn out to be a blessing. The original towers would have called for significant framing, most of which would not look good from any angle other than the one intended for perfect viewing.

This all said, I'm still in love with the Guggenheim — perhaps even more so now that I've toured it up close, inside and out. There's defimitely more to the story of Genry's work than meets the eye. So, proceed with caution and temper your expectations for his Toronto project.

I'm on an IPad and find it difficult to link. But there is a fascinating explanatory and annotated poster of the buildings on the Facebook page. One interesting aspect is that Gehry treats the space between the towers, the "negative space," as a part of the design. Once that is called to your attention, you can definitely see what he means. One might even call it a third tower, I think.

titanium, glass and terracotta or precast as shown in the pic is a nice combination for façade. I like it.
and I noticed one more thing that there are three towers in the pic instead of two.

titanium, glass and terracotta or precast as shown in the pic is a nice combination for façade. I like it.
and I noticed one more thing that there are three towers in the pic instead of two.

You are looking at an image from the previous version of the proposal. There are now only 2 towers but one is taller now.

Back