Toronto Five St Joseph | 160.93m | 48s | Five St. Joseph | Hariri Pontarini

I really don't like this tower. I want to, I really do. The quality and execution all look fine to my untrained eye. I guess it's just not my cup of tea.

I absolutely love this at street level though.

You just made me realize what has long bugged me about the tower itself - a bit of discordancy I couldn't quite put my finger on until now. It's that it reminds me of a broken zipper. But I agree with your assessment of its street level presence.

These are some good comments on the tower. Personally, I feel the tower doesn't show what it wants to be, being half molded and awkward, not elegant at all. Too bad, because at ground level solid effort has gone into preserving a traditional streetscape, apart from the incongruous art piece, all in my opinion of course.

For me, there are just too many ideas going on at the same time. I feel it could have stood for some further editing.

Wait until all the different elements come together to judge it. With missing balcony railings, roof cladding and windows, this building looks like a mess. But once completed, it'll be a sleek and interestingly detailed tower.

there are things about this tower I would change personally. but over all I like it, and above all else I appreciate that its one of a kind.

Today:

fivemarch4.jpg

Attachments

• fivemarch4.jpg
    fivemarch4.jpg
    378.3 KB · Views: 681
You can see from the last picture that "pound for pound" looking at both towers from a distance, 1 Bloor East is no match for Five St Joseph in terms of a skyscraper appeal.
Despite its detailed curve designs, 1 Bloor East just get lost in a sea of sea of buildings as just another glass box due to lack of contrast on its materials. They could have used black or Dark blue balcony glass to make this stand out from a distance. Sad, it just ends up as another Toronto Glass Box. Five, you can say all you want, is a desirable building from a distance, a typical post card appeal.

You can see from the last picture that "pound for pound" looking at both towers from a distance, 1 Bloor East is no match for Five St Joseph in terms of a skyscraper appeal.

I wouldn't be so unequivocal. Maybe you can see that, but I can't. That's one of the beautiful things about architecture though. We all see things differently.

Despite its detailed curve designs, 1 Bloor East just get lost in a sea of sea of buildings as just another glass box due to lack of contrast on its materials. They could have used black or Dark blue balcony glass to make this stand out from a distance. Sad, it just ends up as another Toronto Glass Box. Five, you can say all you want, is a desirable building from a distance, a typical post card appeal.

You also have to wait until One Bloor East is complete to judge it. It's missing much of its balcony glass at the moment, which will create the curved vertical lines along the facade. These elements will give the tower character from a distance.

Yep, exactly. As many have said elsewhere, the balconies need to be seen here to issue a final judgment. I think they have the potential to make this building look far more articulate than it may currently suggest.

Both are examples of Toronto 's semi- exuberant condo architecture straddling Yonge side by side, Five being the pregnant one to the west of the tailored and manicured 1 Bloor East.

Back