Toronto Five St Joseph | 160.93m | 48s | Five St. Joseph | Hariri Pontarini

The mechanical penthouse is looking quite complete.
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,277
It's such an insult to vibrancy when RBC puts their ridiculous banker avatar on all their branding as though it somehow makes them seem less like a bank. I hate, hate how many banks are on Yonge now. Two in Aura? I'm sure we'll get another at TeaHouse too. I'm sick of this sterilization of Yonge.

RBC notwithstanding, could you imagine if the entirety of Yonge's heritage properties were restored as such, with clean signage of that quality? Hopefully the work done here serves as an inspiration to other landlords and businesses along Yonge to refresh their buildings and clean up some of the atrocious back-lit plastic signage.

If all of Yonge's heritage properties were restored like that, it'd look a lot like the South End in Boston--not quite Newbury St. chic, but tidy, uniform, and clean. It'd be a pretty impressive clean up--can't say I'm optimistic it'll happen.

I wish the city would do something about vinyl window wraps. Developers submit elevations that show vision windows, and then we end up with those windows being blocked out by decals. If the developer had instead said that they were going to install billboards in those locations the city would intervene, but somehow the vinyl wraps dance around the issue. Another bad example of it is the Running Room in Murano, where they have an entire frontage that's been converted to a massive billboard.

If all of Yonge's heritage properties were restored like that, it'd look a lot like the South End in Boston--not quite Newbury St. chic, but tidy, uniform, and clean. It'd be a pretty impressive clean up--can't say I'm optimistic it'll happen.

I have no problem with that.

With the current rate of proposals along Yonge, and ever improving attitudes towards heritage protection, I think we might have a chance of seeing it happen. It'd be nice if Five and similar projects act as a catalyst to inspire other landlords to follow their lead, with or without the condo proposals on top.

Back