Toronto Five St Joseph | 160.93m | 48s | Five St. Joseph | Hariri Pontarini

Anyone see the similarities between Casa II and 1Thousand Bay (I believe Karma is using the same balcony dressing as well)? Pretty creative architecture by aA

Last edited:
Perhaps the original post which somewhat hysterically exclaimed that the Royal Bank was taking four storefronts on Yonge should have mentioned that each of those storefronts was about 12' wide, and the total frontage is probably about the same as the heritage Bank of Commerce building at Massey Tower.

Hysterical? The original post from Tuscani was "4 of the retail units along Yonge are becoming an.... RBC (the southern units)" (with a link to a Twitter photo that showed exactly what storefronts were involved), which led to a discussion about the economics of leasing at the base of condo towers and how banks and chains like Starbucks allegedly had an edge. I don't remember any hysteria, or anyone even really focusing on the length of the RBC frontage.

Tuscani just shared a piece of information. I don't believe that he "hysterically exclaimed" anything.

ETA: Two and a half months ago, WiddleBiddyKitty posted: "Isn't the real problem here that a bank is going in behind multiple storefronts, and killing sidewalk life with only one entry? What a waste of restored Victorians." (Sept 2) It was before any references to Royal Bank, but is that the post you mean? Not sure (s)he was being hysterical either. Just expressing the opinion that a bank taking up that much of the frontage doesn't make for lively streetscape. One can disagree, of course, but that doesn't make the claim hysterical.

Last edited:
The laneway is starting to look like something.

22762742167_66f4a1d5b1_h.jpg

The brick facade was being power washed today.

23156901285_916138a5d5_h.jpg

22861107170_020957f8d9_h.jpg

I hope this is not permanent.

22861105780_b4ee3640c6_h.jpg

Nice curves.

23156897565_47afccc635_h.jpg

I think the tower is ok, nothing too special but overall I love this development with what they've done with the storefronts, the laneways, the attractive. Excellent work.

The storefront on Yonge looks particularly attractive. I really like that roof ornamentation (not sure of technical term) on the building the furthest to the south. Great detail.

Back