Toronto First Canadian Place Rejuvenation | 298.08m | 72s | Brookfield | MdeAS Architects

While I'm not a fan of the FCP tower, I really like the base. Isn't it an Edward Durrel Stone? Anyway, I might get things thrown at me for saying this, but I prefer the FCP podium to the pre-war buildings it replaced (ie: the Star). While the Star building was very ornate and its loss was a shame, I always loved staring into the gigantic picture windows of FCP - especially at night - and admiring the white marble and the inset chandeliers.

People are in there (and the surrounding towers) all night (often) because, while you get paid a lot, the hours in banking and the supporting industries (the lawyers, accountants, etc) are very long. It is not that there is a night shift or something - it is just the expectation to have one really long shift. I would say that the expectation in investment banking is that you work 8-30 to 10 + most days (plus a good portion of your weekend). That is why the cabs are there, so people can stumble out of work late - cab home and do it all over again.

3D... January came and went. What's the news?

Shit I thought we were only halfway thru the month.... I've missed bill payments, nieces' birthdays and the dog must really have to pee.......

Besides, I thought "whatever" scooped my scoop over a month ago. Remember?:

It's being reclad with white granite. They've got a really aggressive replacement scheme, something like a floor a week. I'm not sure if that includes the windows as well, but from what I've heard it's just the marble.

While I'm not a fan of the FCP tower, I really like the base. Isn't it an Edward Durrel Stone? Anyway, I might get things thrown at me for saying this, but I prefer the FCP podium to the pre-war buildings it replaced (ie: the Star). While the Star building was very ornate and its loss was a shame, I always loved staring into the gigantic picture windows of FCP - especially at night - and admiring the white marble and the inset chandeliers.

Other than the fact that you've acclimatized yourself to the new and you're presumably too young to remember what it replaced, how, exactly, is that preferrable, at least in a "if you had to do it all over again, you'd do it again" sense?

Indeed, it's a kind of "white marble and chandeliers" aesthetic which gave Ed Stone a kitschy bad name in architectural circles (also cf. the JFK Center in DC)

Shit I thought we were only halfway thru the month.... I've missed bill payments, nieces' birthdays and the dog must really have to pee.......

Besides, I thought "whatever" scooped my scoop over a month ago. Remember?:

LOL! D'oh! I'm such a moosh brain... seriously! I have lost all concept of time. For some reason I thought we were in February.... I gotta get out of my apartment more often.. :eek:

People are in there (and the surrounding towers) all night (often) because, while you get paid a lot, the hours in banking and the supporting industries (the lawyers, accountants, etc) are very long. It is not that there is a night shift or something - it is just the expectation to have one really long shift. I would say that the expectation in investment banking is that you work 8-30 to 10 + most days (plus a good portion of your weekend). That is why the cabs are there, so people can stumble out of work late - cab home and do it all over again.

I don't miss it one bit. I remember us eager beavers would'nt leave the place till everyone left first. It was expected the rookies stayed to the end which sometimes lasted to midnight. ughhh and those suits we wore all frigging day.

I don't miss it one bit. I remember us eager beavers would'nt leave the place till everyone left first. It was expected the rookies stayed to the end which sometimes lasted to midnight. ughhh and those suits we wore all frigging day.

You should have tried the old "leave the desk light on with cup of coffee and papers all over your desk" old trick. Worked every time.

You should have tried the old "leave the desk light on with cup of coffee and papers all over your desk" old trick. Worked every time.

Reminds me of that Bud Light commercial where they were advertising coffee mugs that emitted steam to make it seem like you were still working, but really out watching the game.

While I'm not a fan of the FCP tower, I really like the base.

that would be my opinion also. thought the tower is bland, i love walking by the base. even though there's a serious overhang. in this instance, it works. plus the mall (if one takes the time to look) is obviously well cared for and a LOT of money was spent on it. it looks like an interior from a public space in washington dc where they coat everything in expensive marble and polish is daily.
as for the antenae, i hope they NEVER take those down. they compromise the design and i say yahoo!

Back