Toronto First Canadian Place Rejuvenation | 298.08m | 72s | Brookfield | MdeAS Architects

Does anyone have any recent pics of the new look common areas at FCP? (i.e. the upper and lower lobbies) Love to see the new stone flooring! Thanks.

I didn't think they were going to re-clad the podium, but I'm glad that they are. At street level is where you can really see, up close and personal as it were, just how badly discolored and warped many of the marble panels are.

I think FCP owners should have donated some of this old marble to the city. It could have been cleaned up and used to upgrade a few of the subway stations in the area. It would have been a great gesture by the owners of the property, giving something back to the community.

^ & ^^
The old marble has been slowly donated to many people for re-purposing such as art. I can't remember the specifics but if you read back in this thread you'll find plenty of info on the subject.
I also thought that the podium was being left as is.
I thought that as well. I'm really digging the tower and I'll hold off judgment to the podium until it's finished but it is disappointing since I remember them saying that they had enough replacement marble to reclad the base.

I originally read here that the podium was to remain clad in marble. I was looking forward to the restored Carrera marble cladding for the podium. I saw it as a link to the tower's opulent former cladding.

I was looking forward to the restored Carrera marble cladding for the podium. I saw it as a link to the tower's opulent former cladding.

Agreed, it's disappointing they couldn't have simply replaced the podium cladding. Perhaps they weren't too keen on the idea of replacing the marble cladding in the future. Thus they went with the maintenance-free solution.
But as much as I like the appearance of the new glass on the tower, it lacks the refinement of stone. Chicago's Aon tower and its white granite come to mind. That would of been a better, albeit a more costlier choice for the podium.

The old marble has been slowly donated to many people for re-purposing such as art. I can't remember the specifics but if you read back in this thread you'll find plenty of info on the subject.

From what I've heard only a small portion of the marble will be donated to artists for an art project of some sort.
Unfortuntely the bulk of it will most likely be crushed up and recycled into gravel for landscaping.
Each panel is pretty large and heavy, so cutting them up to manageable size pieces and donating/selling them would be another undertaking. You could also imagine the liability issue on selling or giving away a deteriorating material.

I would like to my hands on a piece of that marble, polish it up and make it into a coffee or dining table. It would be an intersting piece of history in your home.

It really is a shame that it could not be 're-purposed' for civic projects elsewhere, ground up and used as gravel seems like a sad end if that is indeed the case for the bulk of it.

Unless, rather than mere "gravel", it's earmarked for more sophisticated usage: "specialty" landscape paving, terrazzo, etc...

bmo_june15.jpg

June 14th

Back