Toronto First Canadian Place Rejuvenation | 298.08m | 72s | Brookfield | MdeAS Architects

I smile every time I see this. I've always liked this straight up square tube skyscraper dominating our skyline but was somewhat embarrassed about the state of disrepair it was in. Now gleaming snow white, with a modern touch added in those corners, it's like we have a brand new skyscraper being built.

It's actually interesting to see the contrast in the colours of white. The new glass panes definitely give the white a decidedly greenish cast--so I wouldn't call it "snow white." But it certainly isn't the dirty snow white of the old marble.

Hi guys
I'm not sure if this is a repost but please don't blame me if I don't want to read in excess of 100 pages of thread lol

Does anyone have a building section and a profile for the new cladding? I'd like to know if there is a thermal performance gain.
Correct me if I'm wrong but is it a fritted glass spandrel system?

http://www.redefiningfirst.com/Project/Tower-Podium.aspx

"click for animation" in lower left corner & turn up volume

That's bloody brilliant...

So they turned the surface cladding of what seemed to be R3-4 into an R2

We need more radiators in this city to form heat islands so I can get a tan off of my balcony

FCP from this morning:

5404404159_54db6cbe27_b.jpg

Taken a few days ago from the Canada Permanent building....new panels being queued up for hoisting....

edit: OK, first time posting photos and I can't see them. Anyone with hints as to how to post from Flickr?

Last edited:
Taken a few days ago from the Canada Permanent building....new panels being queued up for hoisting....

edit: OK, first time posting photos and I can't see them. Anyone with hints as to how to post from Flickr?

weird. i was able to see these from a flickr preview on my hotmail.

Go to the image.
right click,
select "copy image address"
Go to the compose area.
Select the "Insert Image" button
Paste the address (command + v for mac, control + v for windows,)
you're good to go. :D

Right click on the image. Get the url of the image in the properties. It would end with .jpg or .jpeg.
Click the insert image icon when replying to a message here, and then paste that link there.

Different browsers allow you to copy the image link immediately when right clicking. Internet Explorer doesn't do that though, you have to go to properties.

Right click on the image. Get the url of the image in the properties. It would end with .jpg or .jpeg.
Click the insert image icon when replying to a message here, and then paste that link there.

Different browsers allow you to copy the image link immediately when right clicking. Internet Explorer doesn't do that though, you have to go to properties.

I'm using Firefox. I'll have to play around a little more--right clicking on the image in Flickr didn't seem to get me anywhere, and using the links they supplied didn't either. Good point to look for the .jpg extension.

Embarrassment? It may have been a little tired, but the building certainly wasn't an embarrassment.

I sent FAC33 a message describing how to post images from flickr and I thought I would include it here as well:

1) go to the photo page of the image you want to post
2) click on "Actions" above the image
3) select "View all sizes"
4) choose the image size you want to post on UT
5) right click on the image
6) choose properties
7) highlight and copy the url address (which ends in .jpg)
8) go to Urban Toronto and open reply box
9) click on "insert image" icon
10) paste the flickr url into dialogue box and hit ok

Embarrassment? It may have been a little tired, but the building certainly wasn't an embarrassment.

To a lot of 70s/80s architectural judges, it was an embarrassment in the way that virtually every post-1960 thing by Edward Durell Stone was an embarrassment (GM, Amoco/Aon, the Kennedy Center, 2 Columbus Circle, etc)

Back