Toronto Festival Tower and tiff Bell Lightbox | 156.96m | 42s | Daniels | KPMB

This tower is looking great! The balcony cladding is really complimenting the podium... I only wish they included a high-end luxury hotel in this building.... Then it would all be in one building...

I can't believe we've almost topped off the residential floors... this one shot up kinda fast and i didn't seem to notice it that much :cool:

I would've preferred that the spine up the tower (the non-balcony sections) had dark grey glass-- anything other than a green tinge.

I usually don't mind a green tint in glass but it's highly noticeable (and contradictory) with the powder blue/grey colours going on elsewhere.

Still looks great though :)

Does anyone know why the floor plates between the -/+ 9th and 10th floor of Festival tower are spaced wider? The gap in the balcony railings between those 2 floors is wider and the height of the window panels on the -/+ 9th floor is greater. Thanks for the pic, Caltrane.

Does anyone know why the floor plates between the -/+ 9th and 10th floor of Festival tower are spaced wider? The gap in the balcony railings between those 2 floors is wider and the height of the window panels on the -/+ 9th floor is greater. Thanks for the pic, Caltrane.
I noticed that too but I wasn't sure if it was just a trick of the camera. Maybe it's the floor Rietman has a unit on. ;)

4353721537_6f316e5bbf_b.jpg

what is the other building under construction in the bottom right of the photo? i've been away for awhile and am catching up on the city boom! it is phenomenal when you've been out of the country for 3 years and you come back - TO is barely recognizable on the Gardiner! Do you all have any idea how incredible this growth is? I was all over the US for 3 years and no city has cranes up like this one does!

Lark

Last edited by a moderator:
hey lovarkitec! I remember your name from the old board!......the building lower right in the last photo is the phase 2 tower portion of 'Boutique' condominium.....

Yes, we have been boomin'.........

I have been in New York, Chicago and Philadelphia - I don't know how accurate this prediction is, but I would say Toronto - from what I am seeing - has more buildings going up than those 3 cities combined.

it is amazing... i will get back to the topic of the thread. the quality of the bell lightbox is wonderful. i saw it coming in from the Gardiner today and it has quite the impact on that part of the skyline. up front, the detail and material are quite impressive. we'll showcase this baby proudly at TIFF!

I have to say that I think the architects made an odd choice in deciding to use the grey/blue panels at the back of the podium, and the more matte finished brown/black ones at the front. The grey panels have a really lovely and seamless finish, and the overall effect is much more polished and elegant looking than the King street side. Unfortunately, the overall effect of the brown/black panels is not all that convincing. They are far more irregular in colour, the spacing seems a bit wonky in spots, and i think the the matte finish looks a bit 'low budget' compared to the subtle dull sheen of the grey panels at the back, also some of them look dinged up already. Unfortunately they kind of remind me of the worst of the 70’s dark brown aluminum siding….anyway, the overall impression is that the King street side looks A LOT cheaper than the side facing Adelaide….weird…

From King street:

9ecee0b9.jpg

3a20b3ce.jpg

905e5a3c.jpg

From the back:

f758df38.jpg

69d9ad73.jpg

Thedeepend, that is an excellent observation. The front black panels do look cheap and poorly executed on what otherwise is a great facade.

The ones on the back look like tinny little panels... the ones on King Street have a real weight to them.

I stand by the architects' decision.

Back