Toronto Fashion House | ?m | 12s | Freed | Core Architects

From yesterday:

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2733.jpg
    IMG_2733.jpg
    997.3 KB · Views: 1,932
This project wouldn't be the same without the restored heritage building. But in looking at that mundane streetscape in the photos from before construction started, you'd wonder why they'd bother. The Mirvish-Gehry project will also benefit from the restoration and repurposing of old industrial buildings.

ALLIED PROPERTIES REIT ANNOUNCES ACQUISITION IN TORONTO’S DOWNTOWN WEST Toronto, August 4, 2015 --

Allied Properties REIT (TSX:AP.UN) announced today that it has entered into an agreement to acquire the retail and office component of 560 King Street West in Toronto for $28 million. The purchase is expected to close on August 19, 2015, subject to customary conditions. “This property will extend a near uninterrupted stretch of property we own on the north side of King Street West from 460 to 560,” said Michael Emory, Allied’s President & CEO. “As a result, it will enhance our ability to merchandise most of the storefront retail space along King West between Spadina Avenue and Portland Street.” Located on the north side of King West, just west of Brant Street, the property is comprised of a heritage component with 11,305 square feet of retail GLA at grade and 6,954 square feet of office GLA on two levels above grade, as well as a new component with 5,078 square feet of retail GLA at grade and 1,065 square feet of storage GLA. The heritage structure has been fully restored, and the new structure is well configured for retail use with high ceilings, optimal depth and south- and east-facing frontage. The two components of the property comprise 24,402 square feet of GLA and are fully leased to office and retail tenants consistent in character and quality with Allied’s tenant base. 560 King West also includes 171 underground commercial parking spaces that Allied acquired in June of 2014. Together, the property and the underground commercial parking spaces constitute the entire commercial component of 560 King West.

Agreed. A well done project by Freed. I think they should have painted the balcony undersides though..but that's just a minor quibble. Freed has done a good job with his projects in this area. Very well designed.

Some of the exposed concrete on the exterior is really quite badly done, Especially on the top volume over King. The architecture and development industries really need to start flexing their muscles on construction quality control in this city.

See "Photo of the Day" from March 10

Perhaps red paint to tie into the red curtain theme... I think a darker, rich shade of red could work nicely.

Those red curtains won't last. Several realtor friends and a resident say that there have been talks about removing the clause requiring that they must be kept. Owners are complaining that they lower resale value and rental prices. Everybody seems to hate them.

I'm sure I would hate them too if I lived there but I recognize that without them, the building would look ugly from the outside with a mishmash of curtain colours and designs.

Those red curtains won't last. Several realtor friends and a resident say that there have been talks about removing the clause requiring that they must be kept. Owners are complaining that they lower resale value and rental prices. Everybody seems to hate them.

I'm sure I would hate them too if I lived there but I recognize that without them, the building would look ugly from the outside with a mishmash of curtain colours and designs.
Personally, thats the best part of the building and without it the building will be the same old

Back