Toronto Fashion House | ?m | 12s | Freed | Core Architects

I really like the red curtains, but for argument's sake, how will it work long term? What if as a future buyer I don't want them?
It's only red on the outside I believe. I remember reading something about this previously on this thread.

Yes, they are only red on the outside. They are protected by a covenant in the purchase agreements here.

It appears that the lights on the curtains are now only only when interior lights are on in the unit, so that, I take it, solves the light leakage situation for the residents.

I really like the red curtains, but for argument's sake, how will it work long term? What if as a future buyer I don't want them?

In my experience these things are less and less binding over time and as units change hands. As with anything else it takes legal proceedings and costs to enforce what becomes less and less enforceable. The question is why would anyone want to change them given the overall effect they have, but you'd be surprised!

If it's in the declaration, it's quite "enforceable." That said, at some possible point it may be cheaper to change the declaration than to enforce the red curtain provision - or pay for their continuous upkeep, cleaning and replacement. A portion of the back section of Fashion House does not have red curtains installed, so their retention is by no means absolute.

If it's in the declaration, it's quite "enforceable." That said, at some possible point it may be cheaper to change the declaration than to enforce the red curtain provision - or pay for their continuous upkeep, cleaning and replacement. A portion of the back section of Fashion House does not have red curtains installed, so their retention is by no means absolute.

if the condominium by-law state that the affected owners must maintain window coverings in a cloth curtain form that has a red outfacing surface, then it will be up to the owners to maintain the appearance of their curtains. Unless the red curtains are apart of the common elements, the cost of enforcement should be minimal to the condominium corporation.

Many condos in Toronto has a by-law that requires owners use window coverings with a white or near white out side facing surface already. Condo boards and management enforce these rules quite regularly.

Being on a condo board I fully understand that. The difference is that in the latter situation you mention, owners can install white drapes, blinds, sheer curtains or other such window coverings - so long as they conform to white or near-white provisions. In the case of Fashion House, not all units have the red curtains installed. There is a portion of the building where people are doing exactly what I have mentioned.

Without knowing the specific details, it's hard to tell who is responsible for what. That said, it can be changed by the owners if they ultimately see fit to do so at some point.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0085.JPG
    IMG_0085.JPG
    213.9 KB · Views: 1,835
  • IMG_0086.JPG
    IMG_0086.JPG
    131.2 KB · Views: 1,806
  • IMG_0087.JPG
    IMG_0087.JPG
    125.3 KB · Views: 1,822
  • IMG_0088.JPG
    IMG_0088.JPG
    133.6 KB · Views: 1,810
  • IMG_0089.JPG
    IMG_0089.JPG
    133.4 KB · Views: 1,810
  • IMG_0091.JPG
    IMG_0091.JPG
    186.1 KB · Views: 1,825
  • IMG_0093.JPG
    IMG_0093.JPG
    178.2 KB · Views: 1,837
  • IMG_0094.JPG
    IMG_0094.JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 1,798
  • IMG_0095.JPG
    IMG_0095.JPG
    367.6 KB · Views: 1,796
Wow! Looks great. The window signage is very under-stated and almost discrete. Like just for those in the know. Maybe that's the point.

I'm not a big Freed fan but he does get some great retail in his projects. You don't see the typical Subway, nail salon, pizza pizza.

The retail here is incredible.

This one turned out great. Very good job on the heritage building out front. (though the doors not being in the centre of the building will always bug me!)

I'm not a big Freed fan but he does get some great retail in his projects. You don't see the typical Subway, nail salon, pizza pizza.

The retail here is incredible.

Out of curiosity and to play devils advocate, do you think its Freed who managed to bring in this great retail? or what part has to do with store front along King West being the real seller of it all? Im sure Freed may have had final.

The Keg was mentioned right at the start of this project - as in years ago. The two other places are much more recent. The drinks, pastries and nail place (yes, they do nails in there) probably won't last.

Correct. We were aware of the Keg going in here when we visited the sales centre way back in 2011 and the Freed sales staff said it was going in. Some UT members said it wasn't confirmed and we were like, ya it is.

Back