Mississauga Exchange District Condos | 232m | 72s | Camrost-Felcorp | Arcadis

For all the density being put in and interest in urbanization, Mississauga is still extremely auto-centric in its mindset. Their roads are borderline highways with 6-10 lanes, they design monster blocks that exacerbate the problem further, pour concrete sidewalks (about the cheapest most primitive material imaginable), and there's next to nothing on each block for a pedestrian to interact with. It's deserted for a reason.

Till they fix all of that, Mississauga will never become any more than it is. Besides the green spaces they've built (one of the few positives), 99% of people are in the mall, inside a building, or inside a car on those stroads. Being on a Mississauga sidewalk is an abysmal experience.
ok let’s be clear. Those six lane roads are not in the downtown area. So let’s seperate downtown from the rest of the city. Confederation, Duke of York, kariya gate, and living arts drive are not strodes.

Secondly I am pretty sure Mississauga is using the exact same material as Toronto for its sidewalks. Unless you are talking about the distillery or somewhere in yorkville that I’m not familiar with. 99% of sidewalks in Canada look identical and I’ve been to every major city in this country.

Thirdly right outside of living arts centre is a very nice park with seating. Sheridan college has a nice park with seating. There’s a park behind living art centre with you guessed it… seating. Square one has a water play area in the front of it. It also has a tree park at the Holtz entrance. celebration square exists with seating, and a water area. Finally parkside and M condos are both building their own parks. And surprise surprise there are people there!

Finally let’s talk about square one sucking everything up and nothing on the remaining roads. I used to live at eglinton west station. Yorkdale would have been much further away than square one is from the MCC condos. It was a complete sh*t show on eglinton and dufferin. Business turn over was crazy because everyone simply went to Yorkdale. Yet here confederation has become a success with next to zero turnover. That’s a win for Mississauga and a huge L for Toronto.

ok let’s be clear. Those six lane roads are not in the downtown area. So let’s seperate downtown from the rest of the city. Confederation, Duke of York, kariya gate, and living arts drive are not strodes.

Secondly I am pretty sure Mississauga is using the exact same material as Toronto for its sidewalks. Unless you are talking about the distillery or somewhere in yorkville that I’m not familiar with. 99% of sidewalks in Canada look identical and I’ve been to every major city in this country.

Thirdly right outside of living arts centre is a very nice park with seating. Sheridan college has a nice park with seating. There’s a park behind living art centre with you guessed it… seating. Square one has a water play area in the front of it. It also has a tree park at the Holtz entrance. celebration square exists with seating, and a water area. Finally parkside and M condos are both building their own parks. And surprise surprise there are people there!

Finally let’s talk about square one sucking everything up and nothing on the remaining roads. I used to live at eglinton west station. Yorkdale would have been much further away than square one is from the MCC condos. It was a complete sh*t show on eglinton and dufferin. Business turn over was crazy because everyone simply went to Yorkdale. Yet here confederation has become a success with next to zero turnover. That’s a win for Mississauga and a huge L for Toronto.
There is no downtown nor will be one with the white elephant Square One being there. It blocks the road system that the city wants to build and I don't support some of them. Until Square One foot print is reduce to 1/5 of it current size by going up, it will be Mississauga Core from my point of view.

One has to look at the vision for Downtown 21 that I was part of and I don't support some of it. Not much online these days for it.

Blocks in Mississauga are too long and a major issues getting to the street from the side streets.

Until the LRT surface, there was a plan to reduce the width of Burnhamthorpe from 7 lanes to 4 lanes after the plan to widen it east of Hurontario to Dixie was kill at Council after the EA was approved for it. Council wanted to start reducing these highways as well some 4 lanes roads with more bike lanes on them. Bloor St is to be reduce to 2 lanes with bike lanes from Central Parkway to Dixie.

The city park at LAC and Prince of Wales is to run through Parkside Village to Rathburn Rd as part of selection 37 agreement, and as noted above for M City and Sheridan College. Not sure how long that green space will remain for Sheridan as it will be needed down the road as it expands that need to be taller.

Roads and sidewalks in Mississauga like else where are to be built to set standards, but quality is a different story depending how some contractors can cut corners and get away with it.

Take a look of the remains of crosswalks on Hurontario to see how they fell apart because of traffic that will be removed when the road is rebuilt for the LRT.

Have no use for the vision for Square One plan.

As for retail for Parkside Village, there been a few turn overs over the years and no idea if all the office space has been lease at the north end. There been turn over at 3 other towers retail base built in the last 10 years.

If one look real close at the green space and parks, they are under used at this time. Celebration Square is highly used.

There is no downtown nor will be one with the white elephant Square One being there. It blocks the road system that the city wants to build and I don't support some of them. Until Square One foot print is reduce to 1/5 of it current size by going up, it will be Mississauga Core from my point of view.

One has to look at the vision for Downtown 21 that I was part of and I don't support some of it. Not much online these days for it.

Blocks in Mississauga are too long and a major issues getting to the street from the side streets.

Until the LRT surface, there was a plan to reduce the width of Burnhamthorpe from 7 lanes to 4 lanes after the plan to widen it east of Hurontario to Dixie was kill at Council after the EA was approved for it. Council wanted to start reducing these highways as well some 4 lanes roads with more bike lanes on them. Bloor St is to be reduce to 2 lanes with bike lanes from Central Parkway to Dixie.

The city park at LAC and Prince of Wales is to run through Parkside Village to Rathburn Rd as part of selection 37 agreement, and as noted above for M City and Sheridan College. Not sure how long that green space will remain for Sheridan as it will be needed down the road as it expands that need to be taller.

Roads and sidewalks in Mississauga like else where are to be built to set standards, but quality is a different story depending how some contractors can cut corners and get away with it.

Take a look of the remains of crosswalks on Hurontario to see how they fell apart because of traffic that will be removed when the road is rebuilt for the LRT.

Have no use for the vision for Square One plan.

As for retail for Parkside Village, there been a few turn overs over the years and no idea if all the office space has been lease at the north end. There been turn over at 3 other towers retail base built in the last 10 years.

If one look real close at the green space and parks, they are under used at this time. Celebration Square is highly used.
I mentioned the idea of removing or moving Walmart at square one to make kariya gate go all the way to rathburn making a new north south road which would help with the grid layout you like. However you dismissed the idea because you thought Walmart had three floor potential. If you want to reduce the size of the white elephant I’m not sure there’s going to be a better move.

I’m not sure I understand the purpose of removing the car lanes on bloor in the area you are talking about. They removed lanes in Toronto to increase parking in front of businesses and to make cycling a more viable option. However there are no businesses in this area. Rather this area has the typical sidewalk, small patch of grass than the road. Why would the city not simply remove these useless small sections of grass and replace them with adequate bike lanes. Bikers get what they want but drivers don’t lose a lane. The 6/7 lane roads are a totally different story and I too would advocate for removing a lane and add bike lanes.

Last edited:
I mentioned the idea of removing or moving Walmart at square one to make kariya gate go all the way to rathburn making a new north south road which would help with the grid layout you like. However you dismissed the idea because you thought Walmart had three floor potential. If you want to reduce the size of the white elephant I’m not sure there’s going to be a better move.

I’m not sure I understand the purpose of removing the car lanes on bloor in the area you are talking about. They removed lanes in Toronto to increase parking in front of businesses and to make cycling a more viable option. However there are no businesses in this area. Rather this area has the typical sidewalk, small patch of grass than the road. Why would the city not simply remove these useless small sections of grass and replace them with adequate bike lanes. Bikers get what they want but drivers don’t lose a lane. The 6/7 lane roads are a totally different story and I too would advocate for removing a lane and add bike lanes.
The idea of removing Walmart or a road between it and the mall as well a road from Webb Dr of the west side of the exchange to Rathburn goes back to the Downtown 21 plan. Walmart is not going anywhere due to the return per foot that Oxford gets as well a major foot attraction to the mall.

As I stated here as well at council even when representees from OMERS were there, the mall has to shrink to 1/5 of its current foot print by not only going up. but with development on top of it. As far as I am concern everything between Burnhamthorpe-Rathburn, City Centre Dr and Duke of York be pedestrians streets with roads, parking and delivery underground. The pedestrians streets will allow emergency vehicle to use those streets.

I have no idea why Bloor been done this way other than after the fact as to what my views were about transit dealing with single lane of traffic by the ward councilor. You will find streets like this in Europe. There been strong opposition to it by the amount of signs on the residents front yard last year. Basely, Bloor is a speedway most of the time and one way to slow the speeders down. 70-100km is the norm on that road and been passed more times than enough when I get to 60km by not watching my speed. Even some transit buses have been doing 70km according to the speed checker on my phone.

Time to move things back to the thread.

May 19-20
More up on site
53741617160_dac49273de_b.jpg

53744905389_59da0d9d44_b.jpg

53748663345_ea640fe4bf_b.jpg

53748662975_4f1c4f27a6_b.jpg

53748435723_bfe776f655_b.jpg

53748249156_338c1041d5_b.jpg

The idea of removing Walmart or a road between it and the mall as well a road from Webb Dr of the west side of the exchange to Rathburn goes back to the Downtown 21 plan. Walmart is not going anywhere due to the return per foot that Oxford gets as well a major foot attraction to the mall.

As I stated here as well at council even when representees from OMERS were there, the mall has to shrink to 1/5 of its current foot print by not only going up. but with development on top of it. As far as I am concern everything between Burnhamthorpe-Rathburn, City Centre Dr and Duke of York be pedestrians streets with roads, parking and delivery underground. The pedestrians streets will allow emergency vehicle to use those streets.

I have no idea why Bloor been done this way other than after the fact as to what my views were about transit dealing with single lane of traffic by the ward councilor. You will find streets like this in Europe. There been strong opposition to it by the amount of signs on the residents front yard last year. Basely, Bloor is a speedway most of the time and one way to slow the speeders down. 70-100km is the norm on that road and been passed more times than enough when I get to 60km by not watching my speed. Even some transit buses have been doing 70km according to the speed checker on my phone.

Time to move things back to the thread.

May 19-20
More up on site
53741617160_dac49273de_b.jpg

53744905389_59da0d9d44_b.jpg

53748663345_ea640fe4bf_b.jpg

53748662975_4f1c4f27a6_b.jpg

53748435723_bfe776f655_b.jpg

53748249156_338c1041d5_b.jpg
If the bay is going bankrupt could Walmart not locate there. You get three floors and a parking garage. Then you could extend kariya gate and shrink the mall.

On the opposite side of the mall if you ripped down where the old movie theatre was you could extend Mercer street and if you took down the office building to the south you could make it get to burnamthorpe. Again increasing the grid which is efficient for pedestrians.

As for the round a bouts on Duke of York. Could they not reappear if they chose confederation for the LRT?

Till they fix all of that, Mississauga will never become any more than it is.
Slowly but surely 🙂 These things take time.

I remember a Mississauga that allowed buildings to go up in the core with zero street-level retail. We've come a long way, like sixrings mentioned, the East side of MCC is actually quite lively, moreso in the summer weekends and evenings.

Of course there is plenty of work to do yet. But there has been very significant progress in the right direction over the past decade or so. We're on the right track.

June 4
More up on my site for May and have yet to get to June 6 shots, but it making its name in the city skyline and more so when the 72 story start next year from various locations

They are finally building the LRT bridge over the 403 that will offer a view not only this project, but the city core skyline in 2026 if it open then in place of Dec 2024.
53770847480_a4b4ab54ed_b.jpg

53770710313_de1c0f0ddf_b.jpg

53770925635_712452d260_b.jpg

53774824643_677ba9f7e0_b.jpg

53774627056_f17e8794f2_b.jpg

June 8/10
More to come
Seen from King St June 8
53777431332_da7989ac75_b.jpg

53778565753_dc35dfc491_b.jpg

The sign had to go up Wed and Thursday as it wasn't there Tuesday night
June 10