Mississauga Exchange District Condos | 232m | 72s | Camrost-Felcorp | Arcadis

IMG_2558.jpeg

Working from home today so thought I’d snap a pic.

May 12
Lot more up on my site

The east end for T4 will be at grade in June with the west in July do to the sloping of the floors.
53722342403_fcfcdf77d7_b.jpg

53722131171_d72785bb0d_b.jpg

53722476479_83b00eba45_b.jpg

53722476019_3c1b23c56c_b.jpg

53722572545_a17ffb82d3_b.jpg

53722140911_63803c00df_b.jpg

53721237522_085593f636_b.jpg

Reactions: FCD
I noticed that most pictures from the street level of the Mississauga City Centre are devoid of pedestrians. Is this just a coincidence or done on purpose for privacy reason or is there currently little foot traffic? I hope that with more of these developments, their commercial and institutional spaces in their podiums change this!

I noticed that most pictures from the street level of the Mississauga City Centre are devoid of pedestrians. Is this just a coincidence or done on purpose for privacy reason or is there currently little foot traffic? I hope that with more of these developments, their commercial and institutional spaces in their podiums change this!
No. Mississauga is not doing nearly enough for transit to get people out of their cars.

The parkside village area has a bunch of foot traffic. But if you look at a building like this. It’s completely isolated. There would be no reason for people to be around. So there won’t be foot traffic until the entire section gets redone. I’m sure parkside progressively got more pedestrians as more and more buildings go up. This will follow suit.

No. Mississauga is not doing nearly enough for transit to get people out of their cars.
If you live in any of the buildings near square one you walk to the shops at the condos ground floor or to square one. The problem is that there isn’t enough buildings just yet. I don’t believe for the most part people from places like parkside or m city are driving their cars to square one. And if they are they won’t when eventually square one charges parking fees. Every mall will eventually get there. Even if I’m talking 30 years from now.

I can walking through winding parking lots and tower alleys and crossing wide streets might make walking unpleasant. But trees along the sidewalk and in medians, public artwork, more buildings (and smaller parking lots!) would go a long way in encouraging foot-traffic.

I remember visiting Mississauga City Centre with two friends from Germany back in 2011. They were so weirded out by being in a space which ostensibly had a new skyline and numerous signs of a burgeoning big city, but was devoid of people! They jokingly described it as a pretty apocalypse. Mind you, that was then and it was a weekday and late winter/early spring. It was in retrospect like Frankfurt or Stuttgart in reverse; during the day the city central business district where the skyline is most prominent is bustling with workers and shoppers (many of whom commute in from outside communities), and tourists, but at night is a Geisterstadt (German for ghost town). 👻🥨

I can walking through winding parking lots and tower alleys and crossing wide streets might make walking unpleasant. But trees along the sidewalk and in medians, public artwork, more buildings (and smaller parking lots!) would go a long way in encouraging foot-traffic.

I remember visiting Mississauga City Centre with two friends from Germany back in 2011. They were so weirded out by being in a space which ostensibly had a new skyline and numerous signs of a burgeoning big city, but was devoid of people! They jokingly described it as a pretty apocalypse. Mind you, that was then and it was a weekday and late winter/early spring. It was in retrospect like Frankfurt or Stuttgart in reverse; during the day the city central business district where the skyline is most prominent is bustling with workers and shoppers (many of whom commute in from outside communities), and tourists, but at night is a Geisterstadt (German for ghost town). 👻🥨
Visit confederation street in 2024. It’s a night and day difference. Square one lands is just huge. So some areas haven’t gone through the shift. And the oldest condos never had any businesses in their ground floor. But anything that went up post 2000 did. Parkside is a success. And I’m sure what will follow will copy it.

I noticed that most pictures from the street level of the Mississauga City Centre are devoid of pedestrians.

For all the density being put in and interest in urbanization, Mississauga is still extremely auto-centric in its mindset. Their roads are borderline highways with 6-10 lanes, they design monster blocks that exacerbate the problem further, pour concrete sidewalks (about the cheapest most primitive material imaginable), and there's next to nothing on each block for a pedestrian to interact with. It's deserted for a reason.

Till they fix all of that, Mississauga will never become any more than it is. Besides the green spaces they've built (one of the few positives), 99% of people are in the mall, inside a building, or inside a car on those stroads. Being on a Mississauga sidewalk is an abysmal experience.

Back