Toronto Emerald Park Condos | 128.92m | 40s | Bazis | Rosario Varacalli

I noticed the quite a few of the newly planted trees along the Emerald Park perimeter sidewalks are sick. Have a close look at the leaves:

View attachment 80129

Well, before someone goes off flaming me about the accuracy of my diagnosis,.... I'm not a tree expert.

Anyways, since the edge of leaves are dried up and leave look droopy,... it looks like those trees aren't getting enough water. The dried EmeraldPark trees tend to be the ones planted into the sidewalk underground planters along Poyntz - there's underground water supply for them.
IMG_2413.JPG

But in ground planter size is basically same as those above ground removeable cement planters (see second image - why do these #$^*$ idiots place tree planters to block TTC bus passengers exiting buses????) where trees don't thrive anyways due to limited soil that dries out too fast - and in this case tree don't thrive because people use them as grab handle when exiting the bus and the tree bark was stripped long ago causing the tree to die prematurely,..... thus, question remain - why are empty tree planter still blocking TTC bus passenger exit????

IMG_1970.JPG

The EmeraldPark trees along Yonge and Bogert tends to do a bit better but not much better,.... they look like they lack sufficient water as well,... since the there's only a layer of mulch on top and no other vegetation - thus moisture tends to evaporate, add to that, they tend to be huge ashtrays and garbage collectors, and some of the EmeraldPark use these planters as toilets for their dogs.
IMG_2416.JPG

The EmeraldPark trees along Beecroft planted into the grassy boulevard tends to be thriving.
IMG_2403.JPG

As are the HullmarkCentre trees which tends to be planted into much larger above ground planters - which can also double as sitting areas.
IMG_2417.JPG

All this tends to be relevant as the city is now doing ReImagining Yonge Street Study mainly between Sheppard & Finch,.... tree & greenery on Yonge Street is being studied along with wider pedestrian sidewalks and cycling infrastructure between Finch Hydro Corridor to Avondale/Florence Ave.

Attachments

• IMG_2413.JPG
    IMG_2413.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,495
  • IMG_1970.JPG
    IMG_1970.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,535
  • IMG_2416.JPG
    IMG_2416.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 1,579
  • IMG_2403.JPG
    IMG_2403.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,482
  • IMG_2417.JPG
    IMG_2417.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 1,566
image.jpeg

They took away the scaffolding near the tunnel entrance. That is one low ceiling.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    755.3 KB · Views: 1,253
View attachment 81112
They took away the scaffolding near the tunnel entrance. That is one low ceiling.

Huh?,.... won't they need the scaffolding when they put in the tiles? I can't imagine them just painting the drywall and calling it the day. Maybe they have to put in the flooring first and then they'll erect the scaffolding again to do the floor to ceiling tiles that's pretty much standard at all TTC subway entrances.

Ttc is only responsible for the tunnel. The entrance and lead up to it is apparently the condo corporations reponsibility. They would shut down 3/4 elevators to save money so I would not be surprised if they just put tiles on the floor and call it a day.

Ttc is only responsible for the tunnel. The entrance and lead up to it is apparently the condo corporations reponsibility. They would shut down 3/4 elevators to save money so I would not be surprised if they just put tiles on the floor and call it a day.

TTC is never responsible for anything,... therefore, TTC is irresponsible! ;p

Occassionally, I'll see what appears to be TTC staff or their contractors on site, like a few weeks ago when I posted photos of the TTC pedestrian tunnel because they left the hoarding door at TTC Poyntz (Sheppard south) subway entrance open as they were going into TTC utility room area - they appear to be connecting electrical wiring so permanent lighting and or security camera for TTC pedestrian tunnel will be controlled by the TTC utility room. But TTC staff or their contractors are only there occassionally for observation or connecting to their system.

As per final report for EmeraldPark, EmeraldPark developer is reponsible for rebuilding TTC pedestrian tunnel, entrance and new ventilation system. This is standard practice for developer wanting direct subway connections. I'm guessing it cost EmeraldPark developer about $6-7 million to build the pedestrian tunnel, entrances and ventilation system,... including the $2million or so for "connection fee" that goes to TTC. (87 pages so search "TTC")
http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2010/ny/bgrd/backgroundfile-29871.pdf

It's EmeraldPark developer and their builder, TMG, or their sub-contractors that's responsible for building the TTC pedestrian tunnel, entrances and new ventilation system. And these must be built as per TTC specifications,.... TTC are very anaI with regards to their specification - IE: both of Tridel's HullmarkCentre south and north TTC entrances opening were stalled for about 6 months after they were completed as TTC nit-picked through every single little thing they can come up with,.... I've seen Tridel HullmarkCentre construction team/sub-contractors return after opening to replace cracked tiles and repair paint scratches at bottom of TTC signage! I expect the same at EmeraldPark,... thus, even though the EmeraldPark TTC entrances and pedestrian tunnel will be completed by say early Fall,... I don't see it being open until another 6 months after all the TTC inspections,.... ie February 2017?

Anyways,.... the EmeraldPark TTC pedestrian tunnel and street-level entrance at north-west corner of Yonge & Poyntz/Anndale will be built to TTC specifications and colour scheme by EmeraldPark developer/builder/sub-contractor. It'll be generic TTC wall tiled from floor to ceiling just like Tridel's HullmarkCenter's south and north TTC entrances (south entrance pictured below). And close to what Salsa documented for the TTC new entrance at YongeEglintonCentre
http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...-37s-riocan-p-s-ibi.5401/page-43#post-1057345

IMG_1678.JPG

IMG_1657.JPG

From TTC Sheppard-Yonge - south entrance at HullmarkCentre-Anndale through the WholeFoodMarket door to HullmarkCentre P1 entrance,... IE the tan door shown above,... you go into the HullmarkCentre portion of the entrance for their residents direct connection,... the colour scheme is typical of HullmarkCentre,.... yet, notice floor to ceiling tiles,.... and dark granite-marble - untypical of TTC standards,... but this is HullmarkCentre residents portion of entrance,... so they fashion it their way,....

IMG_1645.JPG

IMG_1652.JPG

Now, the EmeraldPark direct access to the TTC pedestrian tunnel via their P2 parking level is will be fashioned anyways EmerldPark Condominium Corporation specifies,.... as such, it'll likely be with their light green hallway wallpaper,....
IMG_5871.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1678.JPG
    IMG_1678.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,079
  • IMG_1657.JPG
    IMG_1657.JPG
    878.2 KB · Views: 973
  • IMG_1645.JPG
    IMG_1645.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 1,001
  • IMG_1652.JPG
    IMG_1652.JPG
    1,017.9 KB · Views: 982
  • IMG_5871.JPG
    IMG_5871.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 970
Some additional photos of the emerald park subway entrance. Below is the subway tunnel construction plan

DSC05028.JPG

It appears from the plans that only the ttc tunnel and the small entrance lobby will be tiled (see the green highlights I noticed on the plans). The rest of the indoor access leading into Emerald Park appears to just be drywall and paint. The developer is likely to keep it this way to save $. The next few photos show the subway tunnel pathway when exiting from the sheppard subway station (soutbound platform). What you will notice is that the tile and flooring of the tunnel looks pretty identical to the Hallmark subway tunnel entrance. It appears that the tiling and color schemes were chosen by the TTC as mandatory.

Attachments

• DSC05028.JPG
    DSC05028.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 1,024
As soon as you exit the subway entrance doors you will see an elevator access door and on the right you have access to indoor parking. You may also take 3 small flights of stairs to get to the emarald park mall (all indoors) and exit to street level if you choose.

Attachments

• DSC05038.JPG
    DSC05038.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 283
  • DSC05039.JPG
    DSC05039.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 292
  • DSC05040.JPG
    DSC05040.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 286
  • DSC05041.JPG
    DSC05041.JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 287
  • DSC05042.JPG
    DSC05042.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 272
  • DSC05044.JPG
    DSC05044.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 297
  • DSC05043.JPG
    DSC05043.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 279
  • DSC05045.JPG
    DSC05045.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 273
Moving quickly over to the mall. A few of retailers are starting to pop up. There is also a new hair solon fronting Yonge Street called the MAZE Hair Salon. It will be the first business to open on the Yonge Street side of Emerald Park. Their Grand Opening is on July 16th. https://www.yelp.ca/biz/the-maze-hair-salon-toronto. I've had an opportunity to see the interior and and it looks pretty posh.

Attachments

• DSC05050.JPG
    DSC05050.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 309
  • DSC05051.JPG
    DSC05051.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 302
  • DSC05052.JPG
    DSC05052.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 291
  • DSC05053.JPG
    DSC05053.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 289
  • DSC05054.JPG
    DSC05054.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 299
  • DSC05055.JPG
    DSC05055.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 281
  • DSC05056.JPG
    DSC05056.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 278
  • DSC05057.JPG
    DSC05057.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 279
  • DSC05058.JPG
    DSC05058.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 279
  • DSC05060.JPG
    DSC05060.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 288
  • DSC05059.JPG
    DSC05059.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 270
  • DSC05061.JPG
    DSC05061.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 269
  • DSC05062.JPG
    DSC05062.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 252
Some additional photos of the emerald park subway entrance. Below is the subway tunnel construction plan

View attachment 81346

It appears from the plans that only the ttc tunnel and the small entrance lobby will be tiled (see the green highlights I noticed on the plans). The rest of the indoor access leading into Emerald Park appears to just be drywall and paint. The developer is likely to keep it this way to save $. The next few photos show the subway tunnel pathway when exiting from the sheppard subway station (soutbound platform). What you will notice is that the tile and flooring of the tunnel looks pretty identical to the Hallmark subway tunnel entrance. It appears that the tiling and color schemes were chosen by the TTC as mandatory.

Wow,.... from the plan map, it appears the stairs and escalator waiting area of the EmeraldPark TTC subway entrance won't be tiled,.... only drywalled and painted. I can't recall any TTC subway entrance that are not fully tiled from floor to ceiling right from street-level entrance to TTC pay area.

TTC subway entrances (even Poyntz) is high pedestrian traffic area,.... where people are just rushing through,.... drywalled and painted walls won't survive long,...

image.jpeg

Loads of sand in the subway entrance room. Walls have been fully painted.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,949
Wow,.... from the plan map, it appears the stairs and escalator waiting area of the EmeraldPark TTC subway entrance won't be tiled,.... only drywalled and painted. I can't recall any TTC subway entrance that are not fully tiled from floor to ceiling right from street-level entrance to TTC pay area.

TTC subway entrances (even Poyntz) is high pedestrian traffic area,.... where people are just rushing through,.... drywalled and painted walls won't survive long,...

The entire emerald park mall is very dry wall and paint heavy. I suspect the condo Corp will need to invest money fairly quickly to cover those up.

They put a bunch of green parking signs outside today.

Here's a crappy photo of EmeraldPark Parking signage,.... not really a fan of the EmeraldPark whimsical fonts,.... did they really need the thick green ugly pole???? Why not a thinner green pole that flared out at the top to match the EmeraldPark towers,.....
IMG_3213.JPG

Anyways,... interesting, they're putting up the EmeraldPark parking signage now,.... seems like they've been spending the last 2 weeks clearing out their P1 & P2 parking levels of undesirable cars,.... well, some are actually very desirable cars including that new Mercedes CLS63 AMG I mentioned a few months ago doing nothing but collecting layers and layers of dust, and finger-print graffiti,....
http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...-rosario-varacalli.4829/page-119#post-1106360

Unfortunately, that's not my car,... neither is this Audi R8 collecting "Parking On Private Property Without Consent" parking tickets,... on July 12, 13 & 14,.... likely EmeraldPark residents too lazy to constantly drive in circles all the way down to their P6 underground parking level,.... anyways, P1 & P2 parking levels are relatively clear now,....
IMG_3203.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3213.JPG
    IMG_3213.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 1,529
  • IMG_3203.JPG
    IMG_3203.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,574

Back