Toronto Emerald City Phases 1 to 3 including Dream Tower | ?m | 36s | Almadev | WZMH

Taken today. Two quick photos of Emerald's impact at Don Mills and Sheppard.

Metro Toronto's finest hard at work.
EMERALD-CITY-20-07-2012-1.jpg

EMERALD-CITY-20-07-2012-2.jpg

I like to hear that "will start 4 day rotation by the end of August" news :)

Thanks man!

Last edited:
Taken today. Eastern portion of the site is getting fitted with Toronto's beloved colour - grey, a light grey at that.

EMERALD-CITY-11-09-2012-1.jpg

EMERALD-CITY-11-09-2012-2.jpg

EMERALD-CITY-11-09-2012-3.jpg

Last edited:
Taken today. More cladding has been installed.

EMERALD-CITY-25-09-2012-5.jpg

EMERALD-CITY-25-09-2012-4.jpg

Notice the yellowish brick being installed? Looking to match the rental unit up the street.
EMERALD-CITY-25-09-2012-3.jpg

Cladding being installed on the Southwest corner. Kind of messed this one up :)
EMERALD-CITY-25-09-2012-2.jpg

Cladding being installed on the Southwest corner.
EMERALD-CITY-25-09-2012-1.jpg

Emerald City showing up on the 'Don Mills' skyline.
MONARCH-ULTRA-HERON-25-09-2012-1.jpg

MONARCH-ULTRA-HERON-25-09-2012-2.jpg

They are using yellowish brick to match the rental up the street. I noticed that too. How do you think it will look like? I wasn't expecting that. :|

They are using yellowish brick to match the rental up the street. I noticed that too. How do you think it will look like? I wasn't expecting that. :|

Yellow brick looks kind of ghetoo, also if it were to be all grey, kind of looks like legacy down the road...

Yellow brick looks kind of ghetoo, also if it were to be all grey, kind of looks like legacy down the road...

I don't think you will be able to notice it much. I almost totally looked past the fact they were even installing the brick. It is nice to see real brick being used, as opposed to faux brick.

I really like the cohesion to match that of the building to the East.

EMERALD-CITY-25-09-2012-4x.jpg

Streetwall taken back on the 11th of September.
NYCC-11-09-2012.jpg

I don't think you will be able to notice it much. I almost totally looked past the fact they were even installing the brick. It is nice to see real brick being used, as opposed to faux brick.

I really like the cohesion to match that of the building to the East.

True, the yellow brick work does match the surrounding area, even the older buildings in parkway forest.

Speaking of brick, I've noticed many apartments in the city are having their brick facades covered in corrugated metal--it looks terrible. What is the reason for this?

Speaking of brick, I've noticed many apartments in the city are having their brick facades covered in corrugated metal--it looks terrible. What is the reason for this?

It's presumably to clad additional insulation on the tower or a way to address deteriorating brick masonry. Aesthetically, it's pretty much rock bottom. Those slab apartment towers seldom have much architectural detail to begin with (or even a sense of elegant proportion), but things get nasty with the corrugated metal applied to their repetitive and unadorned facades.

It's presumably to clad additional insulation on the tower or a way to address deteriorating brick masonry. Aesthetically, it's pretty much rock bottom. Those slab apartment towers seldom have much architectural detail to begin with (or even a sense of elegant proportion), but things get nasty with the corrugated metal applied to their repetitive and unadorned facades.

It really brings this to mind:

North-Korea-Pyongyang.jpg

Pyongyang
Source

Back