Toronto Eau du Soleil Condos | 227.98m | 66s | Empire | Richmond Architects

Hoo-boy.

Well, maybe if I had had a little more time earlier today, I would have expanded a bit on my statement, but somehow I just didn't expect all the exploding heads here.

First, art does not necessarily equal flash. (There are other places than gas stations to experience art. Yes, I am saying that this complex is the velvet Elvis, not the Warhol Elvis.) Art is to move us, to make us feel something. Flash is just to turn our heads.

I love how the exploding heads think that what I want instead of this is a simple box. I never said such a thing. With all the Bjarke Ingels talk on UT lately, his work (or similar) is what I've been dreaming of here: something bold and confident, and yes, it could feature diagonals and have a hat on it, but what we have so far here only grasps at real expression: pulling all its punches, it all feels like half measures. Jade Waterfront makes me feel the lake more here than this complex does. I should say that the old MJMA massing study for this site that I liked did not make me feel the lake, but it didn't even try: it stood in magnificent opposition to it saying "the city starts here". This plan is half lake, half city… and feels half thought out. It may just be that it's early in process.

Jetsy, I can't get all the way through your posts. If you could try a more typical English structure to your phrasing, I would be willing to make the effort to figure out what you're trying to say (beyond the screaming (the all caps), which as far as I know is not allowed on UT anyway). Three dots make an ellipsis, by the way, not 2, not 4, not 15. Anyway, however many dots you use, and no matter how long your caps lock is on, it does not mean that I cannot ask for better architecture when what I see is lacking.

I'll join the ranks of those who are glad this is a preliminary. The rendering resembles nothing so much as a Carnival Lines cruise ship that's had the bow and stern lopped off, then been extruded fore and aft. There are those who are fond of the sanitized-Vegas aesthetics of cruise ships, but I personally wouldn't want one beached permanently on my waterfront.

I'll join the ranks of those who are glad this is a preliminary. The rendering resembles nothing so much as a Carnival Lines cruise ship that's had the bow and stern lopped off, then been extruded fore and aft. There are those who are fond of the sanitized-Vegas aesthetics of cruise ships, but I personally wouldn't want one beached permanently on my waterfront.

Would you rather a tall box with fins? I know they're all the rage these days.

Would you rather a tall box with fins? I know they're all the rage these days.

Picture a room with 100 people, all wearing the same grey Mao suit. One person shows up in a powder-blue polyester ruffled tuxedo. Just because the Mao suits are drab and lifeless doesn't make the tuxedo a good idea.

Picture a room with 100 people, all wearing the same grey Mao suit. One person shows up in a powder-blue polyester ruffled tuxedo. Just because the Mao suits are drab and lifeless doesn't make the tuxedo a good idea.

You see, architecture is a bit different. Personal expression notwithstanding, nobody wants to feel odd in a crowd, but architecture is about attention grabbing and differentiation. You know what happens when every condo wears a 'Mao suit', well you get Vancouver, Southcore or the current HBS. No thanks.

Filip, you're saying in effect that as long as the building stands out from the crowd, everything is fine.

Adhominem is saying that just standing out from the crowd is not good enough, and that you have still have to get it right when you pull on something different. I'm with Adhom.

Who are you to say what 'architecture' is or isn't? Had you done your homework, you'd know that it's a question architects have pondered over from Vitruvius to the present day. Even if it were narrowly defined as being solely concerned with 'attention grabbing and differentiation,' (read: it isn't) this over-hyped pile exudes neither of those values. It's a standardized floor plan, extruded to 64s/42s and given a Solow-meets-Man-Wah treatment with the aforementioned Gibson Square roofs thrown in for good measure. What's more, as several have stated, the truly 'differentiated' plan would have been MJMA's little village which sadly seems to have lost out to the 'Big-City-Podium' of Zeidler's current scheme.

Etobicoke's Harbour Square supersized (or NY's NY Towers) - glad it's going where it is, the architectural hell that is the Etobicoke waterfront.
And yes, ZPA is definitely off the rockers - though you can see hints of it with their NPS submission as well - IMO enough similarities to suggest the same hand behind both. Swoopy, messy...

And jets - your posts reads like DOS prompts and are about as indecipherable, and surely you know typing in ALL CAPS is considered to be rude pretty much universally? Please don't give us the opportunity to remind you again.

AoD

Last edited:
And jets - your posts reads like DOS prompts and are about as indecipherable, and surely you know typing in ALL CAPS is considered to be rude pretty much universally? Please don't give us the opportunity to remind you again.

AoD

To be fair, and with respect, Jets wasn't posting in ALL CAPS. It was more like TOO MANY CAPS.

I apologize for the caps, I am a poor typer,

I have to look down when I type, If the caps lock is on, which I often do, I oftn do not want to retype it! I will try to be better!! Sorry

Widdle Bitty.... Sorry I was rude, Took out my frustration, about a lot of negative, all on your post. My bad! :(

Again, its the whole , "Ruin the skyline" comments, I read about many projects, they are laughable, first of all, when It comes to skylines, they are in darkness half the time, and often shot at dusk (magic hour), or during sunsets, meaning that they often appear only as silhouettes, or lights... meaning that as a "skyline", all towers are welcome additions.
A tower can ruin a neighborhood, or a street scape, or even a vista, but It is really hard to ruin a panorama of a city with one tower... Trump, peoples biggest target of hate, adds so much from the west , and from the north.... and once lit, will be a wonderful eye catching strip of light!!!

These are some om my oil paintings, I love skyscrapers, and this is how they are often seen, in silhouette, any tower is a good skyline addition, maybe not a good neighborhood addition, but in terms of a panorama, they always add something!!!

Attachments

• CIMG0049.jpg
    CIMG0049.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 241
  • CIMG0048.jpg
    CIMG0048.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 245
  • CIMG0050.jpg
    CIMG0050.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 220
  • CIMG0051.jpg
    CIMG0051.jpg