News   Mar 28, 2024
 475     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 316     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 332     0 

Toronto Eaton Centre

Mastermind has some (strange) internal policy of avoiding malls whenever possible.

Probably saved them this year though. All mall stores couldn’t operate during covid unless they had a separate entrance. That would have wiped out a lot of their competition for a few months.

Probably saved them this year though. All mall stores couldn’t operate during covid unless they had a separate entrance. That would have wiped out a lot of their competition for a few months.
their strategy is to focus on neighborhood stores and build close relationships with their microcommunities; the bulk of EC traffic is tourists, students, transient office workers --> less people taking their kids to discovery new toys. Street front rents are also considerably lower.

And if you flip that to how Apple operates in the GTHA, we were one of the only global cities to enter a reopening phase without being apple to go to an Apple Store due to them ALL being in malls.

It's funny, but even as a kid, I never really enjoyed Toys R Us ........or .....what was the other one called? Toy City?

But the toy department of The Bay, at Christmas time; or Eatons............that was magic!

On the other hand...........the model train store on Mt. Pleasant.........

I'd say my fondest memories of toys come from Hudson's Bay and Eatons during the holidays. The catalogues and and in-store experience tied together so well.

On a general level I liked Toys R' US and independent toy stores, but they didn't have quite the same 'magic'.

The Indigo upper floor has a selection of toys now, particularly those geared to very young children, as well as Lego.

Thanks. They have a good selection. Probably my go-to store if I'm buying gifts for kids.

I'd say my fondest memories of toys come from Hudson's Bay and Eatons during the holidays. The catalogues and and in-store experience tied together so well.

On a general level I liked Toys R' US and independent toy stores, but they didn't have quite the same 'magic'.

Thanks. They have a good selection. Probably my go-to store if I'm buying gifts for kids.
If you know children who are interested in video games, then EB Games/EBX would be an excellent place to shop for toys (and video games).

And if you flip that to how Apple operates in the GTHA, we were one of the only global cities to enter a reopening phase without being apple to go to an Apple Store due to them ALL being in malls.
They are probably the strictest retailer I've witnessed yet though regarding proper masks (no valves allowed), crowding, everyone's hand's being sanitized, temperature checks, etc.

I grabbed a few pics of the newly renovated Canadian Tire this weekend. Nothing special, but it’s definitely looking a lot cleaner and organized. The kitchen and tool departments seem to have the most change, as well as pet which is now a Petco boutique.
6E0E8A56-17F1-48A5-A7BF-F5A5BE16C45F.jpeg
6DA09A5E-6F55-4A93-BF58-053A5287D971.jpeg
0850A0A4-3085-4A34-8303-E4DEAC714104.jpeg
ED2AC608-5467-498C-B2CB-E2E7734CD410.jpeg
7921E0AB-949C-46CD-A0EC-93950FCC456B.jpeg
17276386-B109-412D-84B7-3E02D67812E1.jpeg

Last edited:
M Boutique has packed up all their clothes and turned off the lights in their store. Mendocino has filed to restructure their business, so I guess this is expected.
The majority of the stores in the mall have re-opened with physical distancing measures. DavidsTea, Soia & Kyo and Microsoft are some of the few that remain closed.
The Saks Food Hall in the basement of The Bay is scheduled to re-open sometime in September.

Last edited:
M Boutique has packed up all their clothes and turned off the lights in their store. Mendocino has filed to restructure their business, so I guess this is expected.
The majority of the stores in the mall have re-opened with physical distancing measures. DavidsTea, Soia & Kyo and Microsoft are some of the few that remain closed.
The Saks Food Hall in the basement of The Bay is scheduled to re-open sometime in September.
DavidsTEA and Microsoft are closed for good, even after the pandemic.

They are probably the strictest retailer I've witnessed yet though regarding proper masks (no valves allowed), crowding, everyone's hand's being sanitized, temperature checks, etc.
I had a Genius Bar appointment at the store on Ste-Catherine St. in Montreal and it was quite the ordeal. It was made somewhat easier as the street has been pedestrianized for the summer. I'm not sure if they would have been able to pull it off had they have been restricted to the sidewalk, it would have resulted in quite the log jam.

First, you had to check in out front. They had 3 lines: 1) Product pick up. 2) People wanting to browse. 3) People with appointments.
If you were picking up a purchase they brought it out to you.
If you wanted to browse you had to wait for people to leave.
If you had an appointment you had to wait outside, wait inside in order to go upstairs, wait again upstairs until someone was available. All 2m distanced of course.

Before you entered they asked the usual questions (are you sick, have you been sick, etc.), took your temperature, gave you a mask if you didn't have one, had you sanitize your hands.

My appointment was for 5:15 and I arrived about 10 minutes early. I didn't actually sit down with someone until 6:10.
It was well organized but annoying nonetheless. I can't stand waiting in line unless I absolutely have to so I certainly wouldn't have bothered if not for my appointment.
IMG_0331.jpeg

Last edited:

Back