News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 435     0 

Toronto Eaton Centre

Also, speculation can now end about the Apple Store expanding into the old BCBG spot next door, as hoarding now indicates that it will be filled by French clothing brands Sandro/Maje instead.

So the Samsung store was supposed to open this summer. Any updates on the date?

I don't think it's going to open anytime soon, unless they seriously ramp up construction. The future Yonge Street facing entrance is still exposed and there's a lot of scaffolding outside. The interior looks like a cavern under excavation, and the front pillar still has a Sears-era department directory pasted on it.

In the meanwhile, Samsung has set up an "experiential" space in the hallway in front of the future store. They have Galaxy Note 8's and a VR setup for the public to test out.

Ouvert:

DSC04810.jpg

Looks so much better than when Baroli was here, and helps connect the Galleria with the hall to the north.

Attachments

• DSC04810.jpg
    DSC04810.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 506
Construction appears to be progressing with the Samsung flagship store. I'm not sure, but perhaps it will be open by the end of the year?

The Aritzia expansion is now open beside Le Chateau, with a passage connecting to the original shop.

Auntie Anne's is now open on Level 1. Sweet Jesus next door still has hoarding in front of it. Some sort of clothing store will be opening where Bitter Sweet used to be - I saw them unloading boxes of leggings and hosiery inside.

Haight & Ashbury will be closing this weekend. Their sign indicates that it was a "pop-up" store. I never saw many customers inside, similar to when Gerry Weber was in the same space.

Hendrik's Restaurant & Bar (where Baton Rouge used to be) is estimating a mid-November opening.

m0851 has filed for creditor protection. I wonder if that means anything for their location where Town Shoes used to be.

Finally, the pedestrian bridge between Eaton Centre and The Bay/Saks will be having its grand opening next Thursday, November 2 around 10:15AM.

Last edited:
A number of temporary seasonal stores have opened in CFTEC:

The clothing store I mentioned above is now open in the previous Bitter Sweet location - it's called "Just Cozy" and has a lot of leggings and knitwear for the season.

Hickory Farms is open where Big It Up used to be. Sweet Jesus next door is still not open.

Calendar Club has opened where Express / Express Men used to be - one half is calendars, the other half is toys and board games.

Another temporary pop-up store called "HIO" will be opening on November 24 where Gerry Weber and Haight & Ashbury used to be. It apparently will be showcasing "handpicked and exclusive brands from around the world".

Sandro and the under-lit Maje open for business, plus the centre ready for Christmas, and finally, of course, workin' it on the bridge…

IMG_3043.jpg

IMG_3042.jpg

IMG_3045.jpg

IMG_3041.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3041.jpg
    IMG_3041.jpg
    320.8 KB · Views: 618
  • IMG_3042.jpg
    IMG_3042.jpg
    641.7 KB · Views: 710
  • IMG_3043.jpg
    IMG_3043.jpg
    311.9 KB · Views: 791
  • IMG_3045.jpg
    IMG_3045.jpg
    785.5 KB · Views: 1,172
Suddenly I remember my first visit to Toronto, in 1985, two years before I moved here permanently. The Eaton Centre had so much more "soul", for lack of a better word. Somehow it was more than just a mall. Well, things change!

Suddenly I remember my first visit to Toronto, in 1985, two years before I moved here permanently. The Eaton Centre had so much more "soul", for lack of a better word. Somehow it was more than just a mall. Well, things change!

It was enjoyable back in the 90s; now it felt like a place to avoid - and if absolutely necessary get in and out of as quickly as one can to minimize exposure. There is no sense of leisure or casual enjoyment to the place anymore - it's a hassle.

AoD

The mall had tons of greenery from when it first opened, which made it a somewhat pleasant place to be. Now it has about as much charm as an airport lounge. Guess CF needed to cut the expense of plant watering so they could pay for all their new signs.

Back