News   May 06, 2024
 484     1 
News   May 06, 2024
 1K     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 677     1 

Toronto Eaton Centre

Canadian Tire at Bay and Dundas is now open. It's pretty much like any other Canadian Tire, except for the furniture and home decorating section. They have some really cool stuff.

Retail: Eaton Centre Expansion: Best Buy/Canadian Tire

Eaton Centre rockin' despite competition

Consumers lack sense of urgency

By Christina Friedrichsen - Business Edge
Published: 12/08/2006 - Vol. 2, No. 25

Suburban Toronto malls and big-box stores might be bustling with shoppers this time of year, but they haven't taken business away from the downtown Toronto Eaton Centre, says general manager of retail Susan Allen.

According to Allen, the Eaton Centre is thriving. She says retailers in the shopping centre have reported an increase in sales of six to eight per cent in the past four months and they expect the holiday season to be better than last year.

She attributes the brisk business to the variety of stores.

"It's the great stores we have," she says, citing that one of the biggest draws is the fact that the Eaton Centre is home to several retailers, such as Sephora and Apple that have no other locations in Canada.

Allen says that eight new stores have opened in the Eaton Centre in the past six months, including Abercrombie and Fitch, Lucky Brand Jeans and Marks Work Wearhouse, as well as giant retailers Canadian Tire and Best Buy. This brings the total number of stores to 285.

"We have a lot of high- performing stores."

She says the Eaton Centre provides people with a different shopping experience than in the suburbs. "It's very different. It's very urban," she says.

Part of the shopping "experience" is getting into the Christmas mood. The Eaton Centre attempted to do that when it unveiled a 35-ft. revolving Swarovski Crystal Wish Tree in late November. A performance by the Radio City Rockettes as well as a fashion show with Canada's Top Model contestants also helped to kick off the season.

"The holiday season is all about Christmas spirit here at the Eaton Centre," says Allen, who adds that strolling carollers, as well as photo ops with Santa for kids and pets add to the festive mood.

Extended hours on Boxing Day, as well as afternoon hours on New Year's Day, satisfy the demand for shopping opportunities during the holidays.

Mark Barsanti, owner of the new Canadian Tire at the Eaton Centre, says traffic at his store, which opened in September, has exceeded his expectations.

"Traffic flow from both the street and through the mall is phenomenal," he says, adding that the two-level, 58,000-sq.-ft. store is expected to be in the top 25 per cent in sales for Canadian Tire stores across Canada. "We've had a very positive response."

Barsanti says he's pleasantly surprised not only by the traffic at his store, but also in the Eaton Centre.

"When I go out into the Eaton Centre, I'm amazed at the traffic. It's wall to wall people," he says, adding that the centre's iconic stature is part of the appeal.

According to Barsanti, the Canadian Tire store attracts a high number of commuters and urban dwellers, and it has been tailored to meet the needs of this clientele.

"We try to keep an assortment for the condo dweller," says Barsanti. "The downtown population is growing significantly."

That means the store stocks lots of housewares and other products that appeal to city folk with smaller living quarters.

"I think I'd have a hard time selling ATVs at this location," he jokes.

The store has a city feel, right down to the staff's uniforms, which are edgier than the uniforms in suburban stores, he says. "We play it up."

Barsanti says the store is filling a void in the downtown core, where a one-stop shopping venue is appealing. He says people appreciate being able to purchase holiday décor, as well as toys and other gifts at one place.

Interestingly, the store's busiest time is between noon and 2:30 p.m. on weekdays, he notes. Weekends are also busier than expected. "We didn't think the weekends would be as strong."

He says the store has a more ethnically diverse clientele than suburban stores. "Our staff is very multicultural," he says, adding that the store also attracts a significant number of tourists.

Chain store Eddie Bauer, which recently moved to a new location on the second floor of the Eaton Centre, is also doing well, says sales leader Andrew Clerigo.

"As far as I can see, the numbers are beating last year," he says. Incentives that give discounts to regular customers and their families have drawn traffic to the store during the holiday season.

The Sony Store's numbers are about the same as last year, says Sean Mueller, general manager. He notes there is more competition this year.

"Now with Best Buy opening it brings a little competition to my store. They weren't open last year," says Mueller.

He says the holiday frenzy hasn't started yet, and that typically it doesn't get "crazy" until two weeks before Christmas.

"Because of the sheer volume we are used to doing on a daily basis, it's average business right now," he says, adding that The Sony Store in the Eaton Centre is the busiest in Canada, outselling all other Sony Stores in the nation.

Not everyone has positive reviews of this year's season.

"It's been a weird season so far. October, which is usually a little bit slower than November, was really busy and November was really slow," says Nicole Robinson, manager of cosmetics store Lush.

She says in 2005 the last two weeks of November were "crazy busy" at the store.

"There seems to be more of a lackadaisical attitude towards Christmas this year," she says.

According to Robinson, customers at Lush are buying small items for stocking stuffers, not the more expensive gift baskets. She speculates that people aren't in the Christmas spirit because of the unseasonably warm temperatures in November.

"There is no urgency for Christmas. It's warm, not snowing. There hasn't been that winter feel yet. I find that retail is really dependent on the weather."

She says after talking to other retailers, she's realized she's not the only one who has noticed that business was down in November.

"The mall is dead," she says.

She says the retailers that she has spoken with are hopeful that December will be busier. According to Robinson, Lush at the Eaton Centre has added incentives this season to entice customers to the store, which include a variety of specials that change each week.

"We like to bring people in to have a good time," she says, adding that in the four hours that the parties last, sales usually jump $500-$1,500.

(Christina Friedrichsen can be reached at friedrichsen@businessedge.ca)

The Eaton Centre seems to be doing very well, but it doesn't seem to have much room for further expansion. I wonder if they'd ever consider converting some of the office space. Didn't they already do that for the second floor of the Indigo?

Re: >Re: Toronto Retail Thread

They tore down the 9 or 10 tier parking lot above the old Eaton Centre Cineplex theatres to make way for Ryerson + retail (Best Buy/Canuk Tire & below grade retail). That couldn't have been cheap to tear down that tall cement block.

I've been told by a well positioned person at SEARS that the company is leaking out to big players that they'd welcome offers to buy the Eaton's brand.

I'm not sure what they're smoking trying to sell a defunct department store with no assets, but it does make a bit of sense. Many generations of Canadians have a connection with Eaton's. If another company wants to come in and buy the rights to the brand off Sears (who didn't really give it much of a chance), then let's see it.

I wonder if Lord&Taylor would be interested. Also, I wonder if the Eaton's brand sale would come with the Yonge & Dundas lease as well since it is the Eaton Centre.

They might as well sell the brand. Its not like they were doing anything with it.

I think the Eaton brand is too far gone to make any sense anymore. They had a chance when they first bought it but couldn't make it work.

it's hard to beleive that a once mighty canadian icon like eaton's would be worth nothing. there must be some goodwill left in the name.

I'm 55, and all "Eatons" means to me is a brand identity that lost it's way. Nothing there to give me a warm and fuzzy feeling.

Attachments

• Timothyeatonstatuemgs.jpg
    Timothyeatonstatuemgs.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 456
I wave wanly at old Tim Bits whenever I go to some event at the ROM theatre. But I'd rather rub the little brass bum on the plinth of the Molly Wood statue for good luck.

I think the Eaton brand is too far gone to make any sense anymore. They had a chance when they first bought it but couldn't make it work.

Actually I think this would be a better time to bring it back. I think Sears tried to do it too soon.

Well if they can find someone stupid enough to buy the name - it's easy money made. Afterall, it's just a non-rev generating asset. But what's next, Consumers Distributing...Biway..Woolco.

Back