News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 376     0 

Toronto Eaton Centre

I am thoroughly sick of companies in the service sector treating their staff as disposable.
Because they are disposable. If you don't have a scarce and in-demand skill set, of course you're as disposable as dunny role.

The only reason most of us keep our jobs is that we offer something to the company that is more valuable than what we are paid.

It's a cruel, Darwinian world out there.... Unless you offer in-demand and scarce skills, results and abilities, your general arts and urban planning education may not cut it.

Last edited:
Because they are disposable. If you don't have a scarce and in-demand skill set, of course you're as disposable as dunny role.

The only reason most of us keep our jobs is that we offer something to the company that is more valuable than what we are paid.

It's a cruel, Darwinian world out there.... Unless you offer in-demand and scarce skills, results and abilities, your general arts and urban planning education may not cut it.

So by your Darwinian world view, it's also ok to beat up and rob people if you're physically superior in stature? Ok course not, right! We don't live in a Darwinian world we live in a civilized world governed by laws. Obviously, we need more laws to protect vulnerable people in low paying service jobs to make sure corporations cannot negate their right to fair employment conditions.

Amen.

The Darwinian logic above is no defence against what happened to the laid-off workers. In fact, it serves as an illustration of how brutal it is that such a thing can happen to someone who really relies on the income.

We don't live in a Darwinian world we live in a civilized world governed by laws.
Quite right, and if they've broken the law then charge, arrest or fine the owners, or have the courts demand restitution.

I speak of Darwin, at my workplace, as you can be fired without cause at any moment. This is the same as any other private sector white collar workplace. What protects me from this is the scarcity and demand of my skill set and abilities.

Richtree from above.

Richtree.jpg

Attachments

• Richtree.jpg
    Richtree.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 583
The Levis store near the fountain has hoarding up but I'm not sure if they are renovating or have closed
Rockport shoes is moving from near the fountain into the old Collacut spot near the Queen St entrance

It wasn't working when I looked up at it at 8 PM tonight. Two elements were on, that was it.

Back