News   May 17, 2024
 2.9K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 2K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

Toronto Eaton Centre

One of the city’s most popular malls is extending its hours. Beginning Saturday, the Eaton Centre will be open from 9:30 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. Monday through Saturday and from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Sunday. A mall spokesperson says research showed people wanted more time to shop. The extended hours will run until Jan. 1, when it will be reviewed to see whether it is viable to continue.

http://www.citynews.ca/2013/08/26/eaton-centre-to-extend-its-shopping-hours/

It's about time. I couldn't never understand why the Eaton Centre closed so early on the busiest shopping day.

A few Eaton Centre updates:

Shoppers Drug Mart Beauty Boutique opens today, August 29th.

The Disney Store grand opening is on September 7th.

The new Richtree Market opens on September 9th.

Collacutt is currently in the old Style Exchange space.

Moneysworth and Best has opened in the old Flight Centre space, beside the Queen subway entrance.

Showcase (aka the "As Seen On TV" Store) has finally closed and Nino D'Arena salon will eventually relocate into the renovated space.

I missed the time when there was Games Workshop in the Eaton Centre. It was next to Queen Station. It moved to its current location on Yonge north of Lawrence.

Granted that its products became twice as expensive (they are already expensive), I stopped buying their stuff, as much as I was a Warhammer fan when I was younger.

According to the Star, Richtree laid off all of its unionized staff at the old location and didn't hire any of them for the new location. Classy. (http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/08/31/richtree_market_accused_of_unfairly_laying_off_workers.html)

What I don't understand is how did the Union and the workers not know that Richtree was moving to the area occupied by the south food-court? It was announced that this was happening back in 2010 when Cadillac-Fairview unveiled plans for a refurbished EC.

Of course it's rotten what happened to these workers but I don't blame Richtree. I blame the temporary worker program created by our traitor politicians in Ottawa. How can a restaurant be competitive with a unionized labor force when when they are up against competitors employing temporary workers from the Philippines? Under Harper 300,000 temporary work permits a year are issued to businesses so that they can drive down wages. Most of the permits are for low skilled jobs such as working behind the counter or in the kitchen of quick service restaurants "QSR's".

If they can pay their rent in one of the busiest malls in the country, they can pay their staff a decent wage. I am thoroughly sick of companies in the service sector treating their staff as disposable. Richtree has lost my business.

What I don't understand is how did the Union and the workers not know that Richtree was moving to the area occupied by the south food-court? It was announced that this was happening back in 2010 when Cadillac-Fairview unveiled plans for a refurbished EC.

Of course it's rotten what happened to these workers but I don't blame Richtree. I blame the temporary worker program created by our traitor politicians in Ottawa. How can a restaurant be competitive with a unionized labor force when when they are up against competitors employing temporary workers from the Philippines? Under Harper 300,000 temporary work permits a year are issued to businesses so that they can drive down wages. Most of the permits are for low skilled jobs such as working behind the counter or in the kitchen of quick service restaurants "QSR's".

You completely missed the point. Congrats!

Yesterday, when we were young…

IMG_1533.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1533.jpg
    IMG_1533.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 726
Went to the Richtree Market today. It's more like a food court / Urban Eatery than one of their classic markets. Completely lost the Richtree charm present in their other locations.

Back