Toronto Eaton Centre (Ongoing Renewal) | ?m | ?s | Cadillac Fairview | Zeidler

I suspect (hope) that the rest of the blank wall above and to the side of the new interior Nordstrom façade, will be covered with some variation on the tile theme.

We should designate the stretch of Dundas Street from Yonge to University "Little Tokyo" or "Japantown."

Riding the 505 Dundas would be truly multicultural: from west to east: Roncesvalles Village (Polish), Rua Açores (Azores, part of Portugal), Portugal Village (self-explanatory), Kensington Market (hodgepodge of various ethnicities, though mainly Latin American), Chinatown (self-explanatory, though with some Vietnamese), Japantown (self-explanatory), Regent Park (African-Canadian and Caribbean), East Chinatown (self-explanatory), Greektown (self-explanatory).

I'm glad I'm not the only one to think this. Personally I think its exciting, Japanese retail seems to be doing great here, and in my opinion is a lot more interesting than American department stores.

I'm against using terms that are already used in other cities. We need a name, that when you hear it, you instantly know it's Toronto's Japanese area. Forget about terms like Japantown, San Francisco already has dibs to that name. We need something unique and different, for all our new districts. We need to stop copying everyone else and develop our own unique names, districts and everything else, instead of just taking the easy way out.

By the way, Regent Park is mainly Ethiopian/Somalian/Muslim now and not so much African-Canadian.

Last edited:
There also needs to be a One's Better Living along the Japanese stretch of Dundas Street. Not just that, but more Japanese toy stores are needed. Even better, Nintendo should open a second World Store at Yonge-Dundas Square or Eaton Centre; not everyone who wants plush Nintendo characters (especially those not found in Western toy stores, such as plush Kirby, despite that character being notable among Western Nintendo gamers) is heading to Pacific Mall (which does not have a Nintendo World Store, but has many plush Nintendo characters) or midtown Manhattan (which is the only place in the world to have a Nintendo World Store).

Japantown is self explanatory, I don't think you need to get more complicated just because other cities have them too. I can't think of any ethnic enclaves in the city that don't follow the ____town or Little ____ formula.

Since everything is going Japanese on Dundas Street, including the Eaton Centre, with Uniqlo, I had to make a video about it.

We should designate the stretch of Dundas Street from Yonge to University "Little Tokyo" or "Japantown."

it is not exactly accurate and you guys are stretching it. From what I see, there are still more Chinese restaurants between University and Yonge than Japanese retail. Several Korean restaurants too. This stretch is hardly dominated by Japanese business (even including Japanese restaurants run by the Chinese such as the Kyoto House). It is more like an East Asia town.

Japantown is self explanatory, I don't think you need to get more complicated just because other cities have them too. I can't think of any ethnic enclaves in the city that don't follow the ____town or Little ____ formula.

India Bazaar on Gerrard.

Back