Toronto Eaton Centre (Ongoing Renewal) | ?m | ?s | Cadillac Fairview | Zeidler

I recall complaints about Eaton Centre years ago, but I'd gladly take the old facade and atrium over what they're doing now.

Sorry for the low quality picture. Looks like MetroMan was correct, an H&M sign was installed above the doorway.

ak4I26j.jpg

Cadillac Fairview has updated their Eaton Centre maps. We can now confirm that there is no Apple Store on the corner of Yonge & Dundas.

There were previously 3 subdivided spaces in the atrium (4 if you count H&M). Nordstrom is taking two of them. That's why we never heard about who would take the third. Uniqlo is going on that corner space facing Yonge-Dundas Square.

mGSj0Och.jpg

That's not confirmation. Not until names are on the stores themselves.

Wish they could combine a Whole Foods or Eataly with an Apple Store. I'm more likely to get excited and enter a store if Apple actually sold something I could eat at one of their nice wood tables.

That's not confirmation. Not until names are on the stores themselves.

The new map right off the Eaton Centre website makes it pretty clear that that entire space is Nordstrom. The Bay and Nordstrom (both department stores) are the only parcels in that colour. They're also the only two that are labeled while all the other stores require clicking to find the name. It also makes sense that Nordstrom would have a major presence in the atrium. That leaves only one parcel, which we know is going to Uniqlo. No other stores were announced. I think it's very fair to call this mystery solved.

Apple better have a plan. Their existing store is absolutely ruining their reputation as the best experience in retail. Crowded, difficult to get help, and a challenge to even find someone to pay for a product and get a bag. An argument could be made that they're better off closing this store than allowing a very subpar experience to hurt their brand. My guess is that they're counting on a new Bloor Street store taking a lot of the pressure off their Eaton Centre store.

At risk of it degenerating into yet another FruitCo thread:

1. FruitCo always have plans
2. FruitCo never shares their plans,
3. Even if FruitCo doesn't have a plan, the public will make one (or a billion) for them and;
4. FruitCo will make money from plans and non-plans.

That is all.

AoD

As someone with a mapping background, I can tell you that diagrams, such as the ones you are pinning all of your conclusions on, are notoriously easy to
  1. dumb down
  2. make mistakes on
  3. change
  4. obfuscate
There are also a famous few books by Mark Monmonier starting with How To Lie With Maps that cite numerous examples of altering the facts to suit any particular goal of the publisher. It would not be a stretch to believe that some obfuscation was going on here.

Those are not close to being legal documents, let alone leasing diagrams. Don't too too much stock in them.

Thats just fine with me, I'd rather Uniqlo there, as I suspected it would be. I am all about apple, but I do not frequent their stores, and the rainbow lighting that uniqlo usually has will be a lot more eye catching.
Also this just makes it likely that we will see a new apple store elsewhere.

I believe Retail Insider confirmed a few weeks back that Uniqlo is 100% confirmed for a non-street facing space (around 150,000 square feet on two floors). I would take that map with a grain of salt.

This older floor plan seemed to show a separate store for that space which we had attributed to Uniqlo:

Fsz8oVJ.jpg

@Retail-Insider's layout which is over a year old, points to where we thought it might go. But it also shows Nordstrom taking up the entire Sears space.

Given the floor plan now on the Eaton Centre site, I'd say I'm far less confident that there is room for an Apple Store.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you mean by "Given the floor plan now on the Eaton Centre site, I'd say I'm far less confident that there is room for an Apple Store.", when the current PDF is still what you have at the top of your post. Here's the link to it here: Download Floor Plan (PDF)

It still shows three unlabeled stores on Level 3 north of Nordstrom (the ground floor), and two stores north of Nordstrom on Level 4 (above ground level). You can tell the PDF is up-to-date as it has all of the new stores on Level 2 labeled on it (the first level below ground at the north end) including Free People which will be the next to open there. The previous PDF that I downloaded last September only included a few of the two dozen new stores on that level named.

It'll be interesting to see what the actual layout will be.
I always thought it was odd for Nordstrom to have that long L-shaped area that lead to the entrance near Joeys (will there be a Nordstrom back entrance there?)
Nordstrom taking the other unit brings that area into the fold a bit better.

BUT - It's a bit odd that the corridor still exists on the coloured map. You'd think that if Nordstrom were taking the other side of the corridor, the corridor would be brought into leasable space and the Nordstrom entrance would advance forward in the atrium (or does the level above prevent that?).

Last edited:
It still shows three unlabeled stores on Level 3 north of Nordstrom (the ground floor), and two stores north of Nordstrom on Level 4 (above ground level). You can tell the PDF is up-to-date as it has all of the new stores on Level 2 labeled on it (the first level below ground at the north end) including Free People which will be the next to open there. The previous PDF that I downloaded last September only included a few of the two dozen new stores on that level named.

Ok then. I'm more inclined to believe a technical leasing blueprint. If it's up to date as it looks to be, then that corner unit might still be in play after all.

It'll be interesting to see what the actual layout will be.
I always thought it was odd for Nordstrom to have that long L-shaped area that lead to the entrance near Joeys (will there be a Nordstrom back entrance there?)
Nordstrom taking the other unit brings that area into the fold a bit better.

BUT - It's a bit odd that the corridor still exists on the coloured map. You'd think that if Nordstrom were taking the other side of the corridor, the corridor would be brought into leasable space and the Nordstrom entrance would advance forward in the atrium (or does the level above prevent that?).

Those look like back of house operations. Freight elevators are located there. This may be a stock room and employee offices/locker rooms.

I'm not clear on which corridor exactly you refer to but it's quite possible that it can't be joined into a leasable retail unit space because it provides access to a means of egress.

Back