Toronto Eaton Centre (Ongoing Renewal) | ?m | ?s | Cadillac Fairview | Zeidler

I walked by today. It looks like the media tower is being neglected. I wonder if they're planning to renovate it too. Most of the lights are off, there are low quality banners stringed across and it didn't look like the tri-vision billboard was rotating. It would make a lot of sense to convert all of them to LED screens. Much more visible and easier to rotate between ads, even if they're static.

The H&M screens were almost fully installed as of today. Walking from across the street, I could make out supports above the corner door where it looks like an H&M logo can be attached. It'll probably end up looking a lot like the photo @devjohnson shared:

lady-gaga-hm-times-square-opening-11.jpg

EDIT: Right after I posted that, I got a text from a friend who works at Cadillac Fairview. Because they're rebranding the mall to CF Toronto Eaton Centre, all the signs will be replaced. She doesn't know about the rest of the billboards but at least the name/logo portion of the media tower will be replaced.

Last edited:
Right after I posted that, I got a text from a friend who works at Cadillac Fairview. Because they're rebranding the mall to CF Toronto Eaton Centre, all the signs will be replaced. She doesn't know about the rest of the billboards but at least the name/logo portion of the media tower will be replaced.
Well, I guess we should get ready for Cadillac Fairview butchering the Eaton Centre signs outside of Yonge-Dundas Square and on Yonge Street. Thanks for the heads up, we're looking forward to it!

EDIT: Right after I posted that, I got a text from a friend who works at Cadillac Fairview. Because they're rebranding the mall to CF Toronto Eaton Centre, all the signs will be replaced. She doesn't know about the rest of the billboards but at least the name/logo portion of the media tower will be replaced.

About time the "Eaton Centre" sign was replaced. Was starting to look dirty.

I always found it funny last year when CF put that press release out, saying the mall was called "Toronto Eaton Centre" and not "Eaton Centre", yet the sign still up was a huge contradiction.

Just as I feared. They're probably going to replace the Eaton Centre goose with the uninspired CF logo. If Cadillac Fairview were smart, they'd appropriate the goose for all of their mall branding. Nothing is more recognizable in Canadian malls than those flying geese.

Just as I feared. They're probably going to replace the Eaton Centre goose with the uninspired CF logo. If Cadillac Fairview were smart, they'd appropriate the goose for all of their mall branding. Nothing is more recognizable in Canadian malls than those flying geese.

You got to give it to them - taking something unique and marketable and turning it into corporate bland that can't even get a piece of public art or a media tower right. The disappointment that was TD Centre, Sherway and now Eaton Centre. I can't wait to see the Well come onto stream and give them a whopping.

AoD

Last edited:

Maybe to someone from Toronto. Anyway I fully expect them to axe the goose, sad as it is. I imagine some executive somewhere thinks unifying their brand is more important than having a bit of character in their malls. I saw the renovated Rideau Centre in Ottawa recently and it looks almost exactly like the Eaton Centre now.

Ha ha. I don't think they're getting rid of the actual geese. That might generate a strong negative reaction.

I find the change in logo amusing. Such corporate hubris. Most people have no idea that CF is Cadillac Fairview, don't really care, will never call it CF Eaton Centre, and would be unimpressed with efforts to "brand" these malls. Cadillac is just wasting its time and money.

Most people would probably pronounce it "See-If" or "See-Eff", neither sounds classy. Whereas "The Eaton Centre" has such a nice ring to it as well as remind folks of the city's Canadian retail heritage. Considering Toronto is such a young city in terms of history, why would CF want to adulterate an established name? I hope any new logo CF introduces will incorporate some elements of the flying geese; they are iconic!

The other thing I had hoped would be restored was the two-story "circular" glass display-case like area where the Sears entrance once stood near the NE side. I recently saw an old picture of what that part had looked like, and I was saddened to realise that later renovations had removed such a wonderful feature. It was so ahead of its time!

And that media tower feels rather pretentious. It does not look "organic" or "clever", e.g. there is a curvy one down the street that acts as a banner above the office building's main entrance (don't know what that building is called). I think it would have been better to have kept the original glass atrium (saw pictures of that too! Can't believe they got rid of THAT too!) and perhaps use LED technology to illuminate the glass. I recently saw pictures of how that was done on the Taipei Arena, and thought a similar technological application would work here.

I find the change in logo amusing. Such corporate hubris. Most people have no idea that CF is Cadillac Fairview, don't really care, will never call it CF Eaton Centre, and would be unimpressed with efforts to "brand" these malls. Cadillac is just wasting its time and money.
Typically the media goes along with rebranding efforts such as this, but because UrbanToronto is not a traditional media outlet, and we are able to get away with a few things that mainstream media does not, so far we have resisted using the CF in any articles published on the affected malls because, we agree, it's absolutely ludicrous—and even embarrassing for Cadillac to be attempting this rebranding—and our intention is to continue to refer to the malls in the way that people do.

How long until Cadillac Fairview figures out that they've been duped by some branding expert into believing their own hollow hype? Drop the embarrassing prefix, CF. No one says that, and they never will.

Back