Toronto Eaton Centre (Ongoing Renewal) | ?m | ?s | Cadillac Fairview | Zeidler

The latest renovations to the exterior have to do with Nordstrom's exterior branding. Most malls, no matter who the owner is, have patchwork exteriors because 1) they often have to accommodate the branding needs of the stores within them, and 2) mall retailers change over time, and architectural finishes come into or go out of style. We're pretty slow to place heritage status on mall architecture (mostly for good reason—much of it is disposable), so there's not much hindering the accretion of new "patches" over the years.

In regards to adding windows on the Yonge Street facade, ksun's throwaway comment re "more glass - all problem solved" is flippant and empty. We know that Nordstrom plans several restaurants within the store. I assume at least some of the windows are related to them.

The reno of the former Sears building would have been complicated by Sears corporate offices remaining in the upper levels of the building - so presumably, they couldn't do a complete gut job to the steel I beams like Cadillac Fairview did in to the Pacific Centre Sears store in Vancouver. It also meant that any renos to the upper floors paid for by Cadillac Fairview would not be recouped by higher rental rates, since the existing upstairs tenant (Sears) was staying in place (at dirt cheap rent).

this morning the corner of yonge and dundas was lit up similarly to the interior it was super bright, as I walked past it this evening just as day light was fading they only had a few panels lit up on the exterior. It is very dramatic.

The latest renovations to the exterior have to do with Nordstrom's exterior branding. Most malls, no matter who the owner is, have patchwork exteriors

Though it was out of Cadillac-Fairview's immediate control, I would have liked to have seen Nordstrom create a storefront design for this location that fits in with the original Zeidler-designed mall, incorporating their style of signage, patterned glazing, cladding materials, etc. It's important for retailers to convey their identity through architecture but that doesn't preclude showing sensitivity to existing architecture.

I hear you, but then I'm onside with Alvin on this too: the Eaton Centre has already been so bastardized over the years that I'm not sure what one would have to do to bring it all together again (other than replace the PoMo storefronts with something retro-modern again).

Meanwhile, while I'm not expecting a miracle here, it's got to look better when done than we have inklings of at the moment… doesn't it?!

this morning the corner of yonge and dundas was lit up similarly to the interior it was super bright, as I walked past it this evening just as day light was fading they only had a few panels lit up on the exterior. It is very dramatic.

Agreed! Saw it tonight as I was heading home and it really brightens up the area, with only a few panels lit so far!

I hear you, but then I'm onside with Alvin on this too: the Eaton Centre has already been so bastardized over the years that I'm not sure what one would have to do to bring it all together again (other than replace the PoMo storefronts with something retro-modern again).

Meanwhile, while I'm not expecting a miracle here, it's got to look better when done than we have inklings of at the moment… doesn't it?!

Why not live rebuild the original Eaton's Department store? ;)

P7xKCPR.png

Though seriously, imagine this view today but with the buildings in question all cleaned up?

Why not live rebuild the original Eaton's Department store? ;)

With what, precast? ;) The Millennial addition attempted some kind contextual fit with its' surroundings and it turned out to be an aesthetic disaster - oozing suburban power centre charm. If you are not prepared to spend big bucks on details, forget emulating the past.

To go further, one should review the grandiose plans for Y+D renewal at the turn of the millennium and take stock - I'd say architecturally, the whole exercise is a great letdown of epic proportions. Unimaginative (if not downright aesthetically bankrupt - eg.10 Dundas) buildings, mediocre public realm, all in all a mess.

AoD

Last edited:
With what, precast? ;) The Millennial addition attempted some kind contextual fit with its' surroundings and it turned out to be an aesthetic disaster - oozing suburban power centre charm. If you are not prepared to spend big bucks on details, forget emulating the past.

To go further, one should review the grandiose plans for Y+D renewal at the turn of the millennium and take stock - I'd say architecturally, the whole exercise is a great letdown of epic proportions. Unimaginative (if not downright aesthetically bankrupt - eg.10 Dundas) buildings, mediocre public realm, all in all a mess.

AoD

Agreed. My only consolation is that the Dundas entrance to the Eaton Centre and 10 Dundas are generally low-rise, inexpensively built developments suited for the retail demands at the time of construction. At some point, it will make economic sense to demolish/gut them and to start fresh.

AoD

Very true. However badly I'd love to see historicist architecture in this city, I can also count on my hand how many times this has been done well and even then it just simply doesn't live up to the past. If you're not going to do it right, don't bother. I'd rather a dull but well-executed glass box over a hideous attempt at pre-war architecture any day.

I hear you, but then I'm onside with Alvin on this too: the Eaton Centre has already been so bastardized over the years that I'm not sure what one would have to do to bring it all together again.

It would very much be a long-term undertaking. But it's entirely possible if those running the show at CF and the Eaton Centre were interested in pursuing it and respecting the Eaton Centre for its unique role in the core of Canada's biggest city. The new Nordstrom/Uniqlo/etc. portion of the mall would have been a great time to start referring to the original architecture in some capacity. With what they've done, now we're just that much further from some sort of coherent vision for the future of the Eaton Centre. Let's not be defeatist, because it is such a central, well-visited mall in a prominent location and it started with good architecture. If good private-sector investment into architecture can't happen at the Eaton Centre, then where can it? :)

Instead, the Eaton Centre has just become another mall -- a commercial space where architecture is left out of the equation. I love architecture, I study architecture, and I am constantly seeking to experience it. But to me, a visit to the Eaton Centre has become a merely commercial/consumption-minded activity. Nordstrom is a great store, and I am a big fan of what Uniqlo does too. The experience of shopping, whether we like it or not, is a big part of city life. Which is why it pains me that such an obvious place to make architecture happen is being neglected in that regard.

No doubt Nordstrom will be a beautiful store to experience, and it certainly has nice product. But the greater experience of the Eaton Centre is not going to benefit the way it could have.

Not trying to be argumentative or say that you are wrong about the idea of the mall being "too far gone". I agree. I just think it's the last place we should give up on since it's so central, prominent, and such a possibility for incredibly urban architecture. For me, something like Berlin's Galeries Lafayette showcases how elevated the department store / retail typology can be in the urban setting, to name just one of the great department stores/malls in Europe and North America.

I'll admit to some defeatism over this, or at least that I'm pessimistic that the Eaton Centre might look cohesive again. You're right, no reason not to try to push for more architectural integrity as the years progress (and we would be kidding ourselves if we thought this is that last change to the exterior anyway).

I'll admit to some defeatism over this, or at least that I'm pessimistic that the Eaton Centre might look cohesive again. You're right, no reason not to try to push for more architectural integrity as the years progress (and we would be kidding ourselves if we thought this is that last change to the exterior anyway).

I find myself challenged on this; because while greatly appreciative of the original Eaton Centre interiors; I've always thought the exterior was.......I wish I could use a nicer word........trash.

The original aluminum siding, pseudo-industrial, small, crappy retail facing Yonge (south of Eatons) was a blight. The Queen Street side has never really worked, as the sky bridge interferes w/any appreciation of the galleria from outside, as does the poor exterior retail and moribund streetscape.

In fairness the Dundas/Yonge corner was a bit more interesting, but finished overwhelmingly in glass I don' think it related particularly well to the mustard-yellow/beige Eatons, nor the areas to the south.

Nor did it do a good job of integrating retail. The whole Dundas Mall portion always did read as an afterthought and still does.

I'm simply perplexed by any nostalgia for what was (on the outside). Now, to be clear, I'm not heaping any praise on what IS. Merely saying it isn't materially worse, albeit, yes, a tad more disjointed.

Back