Toronto Eaton Centre (Ongoing Renewal) | ?m | ?s | Cadillac Fairview | Zeidler

Have any official plans been released for this billboard or sign?
Good question! They DO have a Building Permit 'under review".

Application:
Building Additions/Alterations
Under Review
TORONTO M5H 3R3
Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale
Application#:
17 269790 BLD 00 BA
Accepted Date:
Nov 30, 2017
Project:
Multiple Unit Building
Work:
Other(BA)
Description:
Proposed steel sub-structure with mesh enclosure on the roof of building significant to supposed 2 sets of *CF (Cadillac Fairview)*

Good question! They DO have a Building Permit 'under review".

Application:
Building Additions/Alterations
Under Review
TORONTO M5H 3R3
Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale
Application#:
17 269790 BLD 00 BA
Accepted Date:
Nov 30, 2017
Project:
Multiple Unit Building
Work:
Other(BA)
Description:
Proposed steel sub-structure with mesh enclosure on the roof of building significant to supposed 2 sets of *CF (Cadillac Fairview)*

Unfortunately, I bet it's for the full logo lockup (i.e. letters on the left, spelled-out on the right):

CF_Cadillac_Fairview_logo.png

Man Eaton Center really needs to redo the entire Yonge street frontage. Those stores should have 2 entrances from inside and outside at Yonge st. It’s such a lost opportunity and it totally rips the life out of that section of Yonge.

44C3F271-461C-4034-8635-5A8F95682D49.jpeg

Attachments

• 44C3F271-461C-4034-8635-5A8F95682D49.jpeg
    44C3F271-461C-4034-8635-5A8F95682D49.jpeg
    604.1 KB · Views: 600
They were all set up to have two entrances when the facade was redone, and they all closed them over not too long a stretch of time.

You know a lettermark isn't working when you need to spell it out as well.

I doubt they are going to spell out the whole name on that smaller steel beam frame that they have erected, the rest of all that metal is temporary scaffold... i expect just the CF logo here
cf logo.PNG

Attachments

• cf logo.PNG
    cf logo.PNG
    326.5 KB · Views: 555
View attachment 133081

F*****g window film.

(It's not bad enough the facade is awful, and the doors are generally locked, but they have to cover over the windows too?)

And of course, that misguided addition is supposed to add to street vitality - and it turned out to shave a good chunk out of the pedestrian realm for private benefit (though it's been suggested that the 40M addition doesn't pay itself back - I have doubts about that). Honestly, the whole Y+D revitalization turned out the be a giant lipstick on a pig. Sucky architecture, sucky public realm.

AoD

View attachment 133081

F*****g window film.

(It's not bad enough the facade is awful, and the doors are generally locked, but they have to cover over the windows too?)
I think a lot of those stores decided to lock them from the outsdie for secrity reason and use the windows for advertising as there isn't any foot trafic in the store from the outside. Many stores do that now if they don't have satff to cover all of the entreces to them in case of theft.

Unfortunately, I bet it's for the full logo lockup (i.e. letters on the left, spelled-out on the right):

CF_Cadillac_Fairview_logo.png

Zoom in closely on the "CF" and tell me that those edges and corners don't all look awkward and as though each one has a slightly different geometry than the next. I maintain that it was generated by putting an old raster image of their logo into Adobe Illustrator and trying to vectorize it with the Image Trace button. It looks wobbly and cheap, and I'm surprised such an esteemed developer doesn't use a better logo. Every time I see it, it makes me a little crazy.

If they didn't wave their logo in my face multiple times a day in multiple locations, I wouldn't be so bothered by it. But as far as I am concerned, they are inviting my criticism.

But I digress.

Back