Toronto East Lofts Condos | ?m | 12s | Harhay | a—A

They are working on taking the crane down now, the big machine is there.

The entire intersection is blocked off (sherbourne/king, front/sherbourne).

At first I thought it was because of the taking down of the crane, but actually its because its still an active crime scene, someone was shot and killed outside Rabba last night..

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/691460

A 21-year-old man is dead following a shooting outside of a Rabba grocery store on Front St. E. early this morning.

The victim, in his late teens or early 20s, was pronounced dead at St. Michael's Hospital around 3:45 a.m. after he was shot several times.

Witnesses reported hearing six or seven gunshots being fired in the area, police say.

Police have closed off the intersection of Front and Sherbourne Sts. in all directions while they investigate.

It's the city's 39th homicide of 2009.

Anyone with information about the shooting should call Crime Stoppers at 416-222-TIPS or 416-808-5100.

EDIT: here's a pic around 10:30AM

eastlofts_crane.jpg

Last edited:
I wondered what that was all about - I noticed the streets blocked off when I went down to the Market early on Saturday to buy fresh produce and Eccles cakes.

What I find interesting is how The Great Man varies his designs - the heft of this rather stark building with its recessed windows and dark grey brick is quite different from the lighter MoZo nearbye.

IMG_sept-05-090174.jpg

IMG_sept-05-090177.jpg

IMG_sept-05-090178.jpg

IMG_sept-05-090179.jpg

IMG_sept-05-090184.jpg

We had to walk by this and time to start putting the shooters in front of a firing squad without a trail.
IMG_sept-05-090185.jpg

IMG_sept-05-090199.jpg

Thanks for the photos. This one looks like a real beauty. I really like the use, and the placing, of brick on the exterior.

Talented though he may be, I hardly think the differences between Mozo and East qualify 'Great' status, though I realize you have been applying that moniker for some time now.

Looking Good...

Noticed that the Terrace railing in now in on the 7th Floor, looks like black anodized aluminum...which matches the brick very nicely.

Attachments

• IMG_2058.jpg
    IMG_2058.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_2057.jpg
    IMG_2057.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 225
Construction Update

Dear Purchaser;

We wish to provide you with another update on the construction progress at East.

Over the Labour Day weekend, the tower crane was disassembled and taken off site.

All concrete is now complete except for crane and man lift slab openings.

Roofing work is complete with only trim flashing remaining.

Elevator rails and shaft work are complete and elevator cabs are being assembled, and on schedule.

Permanent hydro service has been installed and thus all utilities, including sewer, water, and gas, are now complete.

Brick cladding is complete on east and north faces and about one half of the south face remains to be done, which is scheduled for completion in several weeks. Decorative aluminum cladding has arrived for the west face and installation has begun, with completion in about four weeks.

Windows have been installed from first to seventh floor and will be substantially complete by the end of September. Glass hand railings will begin next week and will closely follow the glass window installation.

Ground floor hoarding will be removed and the sidewalk will be reinstated beginning the first week in October.

Final suite interior drywall is complete on the first two residential floors, floors 3 and 4, and ongoing on floor 5. Metal studs are progressing, with demising walls approaching the top floor and interior partitions completed to the 8th floor.

Final painting, tiles, and flooring have begun on the 3rd floor. Kitchen installation will begin in about 10 days.

The Parking garage is complete (except for floor treatment), and the overhead doors are installed.

All major pieces of equipment (specifically; transformer, chill-tower, makeup air, standby generator, boilers, and miscellaneous pumps) are on site and in place, and being hooked up and progressively commissioned. Heat pumps, sprinklers, water and drain main risers are completed to the top.

Our July site tours were well received and well attended, and, as a response to the purchasers’ expressed interest, we will again schedule two site tours, for Thursday September 24th, 5pm, and Saturday September 26th, 10am. Please email Katherine of your interest to attend and your contact information at kharhay@hcml.ca.

Please continue to check the website for updated photos and our next written update in the early October.

We again thank you for your purchase in East and appreciate the many kind comments concerning the evolving look of the building. We believe the final product will be unique, a fine example of excellent architecture, with great finishes, and an address to be proud of.

Sincerely,
Walter Harhay, P.Eng. President

^ Couldn't agree more - I'd love to see all the bleak landscapes of the inner suburbs transformed to look like downtown. For that to happen though, the city would have to re-zone all the major suburban arterial roads for commercial use, and what are the chances of that happening?

/\ You should check out the new Spacing. It focuses on the problems associated with suburban land use, but also highlights those communities which have made the best of things. An excellent read.

Toronto needs another 10,000 of these sort of buildings, between Steeles and Dupont Streets. Very the facade a bit, but keep the general massing and architectural quality.

I agree, the suburbs would be amazing if they were full of buildings like this. Toronto needs more density in the burbs, and it will happen. It's just a matter of time.

It's looking good. I am still so happy with the black brick on this project and the double-height first floor retail units are going to look sexyyy!

Toronto needs another 10,000 of these sort of buildings, between Steeles and Dupont Streets. Very the facade a bit, but keep the general massing and architectural quality.

I've also said our suburbs need to be developed with attractive midrise buildings along avenues. One development that I find to be very significant in this regard is Jerome Markson's New Urban salvo, Market Square.

Back